Insurance for guiding

Is there any special insurance that you need if you're going to run guided trips? I'm getting my six-pack license and I want to check on my insurance to see if it's enough.

2. Member
    Your watercraft policy probably has an exclusion in coverages (liability, medical, and physical damage) when being used to carry others for a fee or business pursuits. Check your policy contract language

3. Member
    How much in coverage would be the minimum if you're running a guide service?

4. Member
    You really need to talk to a licensed agent in your state. I would assume $1M liability would be standard.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M4A1 View Post
    You really need to talk to a licensed agent in your state. I would assume $1M liability would be standard.
    Thank you, 1 million is what I thought as well. Right now Ihave Boat US-Geico Marine insurance. They will only cover me for $500,000. I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by leckbass View Post
    Thank you, 1 million is what I thought as well. Right now Ihave Boat US-Geico Marine insurance. They will only cover me for $500,000. I don't get it.
    It's probably not a commercial policy. You will need to find an actual agent regarding it. I'd reach out to a company like Wozencraft insurance or other big name in the high dollar marine insurance industry.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bass Junkie View Post
    It's probably not a commercial policy. You will need to find an actual agent regarding it. I'd reach out to a company like Wozencraft insurance or other big name in the high dollar marine insurance industry.
    I would hope that they know it's a commercial policy as the whole discussion on the phone with them was about having clients, renting out the boat, sending them my captain's license information, how many trips per year...

8. Member
    We have our guide boats insured through Gallagher Insurance. They are very easy to work with