Thread: Fuel question

Fuel question

I haven’t seen my 2001 TR186 that’s in AZ for about 20 months due to Covid-19. I have just over 1/4 tank of fuel in it. I always treated the gas with stabilizer when I added new gas to it and when I left it I added storage stabilizer to the fuel. What are your thoughts on adding high test to the gas rather then draining out the old stuff. I have a 2001 Mercury 150 Optimax on the back.
    Triton 2003 TR21
    2010 225 HO E-TEC
    HHBC

2. Member
    Optimax is rated for 87 octane. Recommend you siphon the gas & start fresh.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

3. Member
    Changing to High test does nothing for storage ! High only has A SLOWER burn rate ! ( I used to deliver gas ) Me, I personally drain my tank every fall, and start fresh in the spring ! However if you can't do that, I would add a good quality winterizing additive ! That said my brother lives in Lebanon, Me. and never treats his fuel for winter, and has no problems, buys same fuel I do ! regular 80 no lead !

4. Member
    My biggest worry is that it sat for 20 months already. When I was in AZ last week I tried to drain the tank with a siphon but could not get the hose all the way in to it. Does anyone know a way to drain the tank so I can try it when I get back after Christmas to AZ. because by that time it will be almost 2years it has sat even though I used a good stabilizer when I stored the boat.
    Triton 2003 TR21
    2010 225 HO E-TEC
    HHBC

5. Member
    You can disconnect the fuel line at the engine side of the primer bulb and add a piece of hose long enough to reach your portable fuel container(s). Pump the bulb to get the flow started. Probably a good time to change the fuel lines and bulb as well. Use OEM parts for best results.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbh3 View Post
    You can disconnect the fuel line at the engine side of the primer bulb and add a piece of hose long enough to reach your portable fuel container(s). Pump the bulb to get the flow started. Probably a good time to change the fuel lines and bulb as well. Use OEM parts for best results.
    Thanks that’s a thought although I replaced the fuel lines in 2018 when I bought the boat to take to AZ.
    Triton 2003 TR21
    2010 225 HO E-TEC
    HHBC

7. Member
    What jbh3 said it works great just be patient.
    Rocket

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 375VTROCKET View Post
    What jbh3 said it works great just be patient.
    I will give this a try when I get back down there at Christmas. Thanks
    Triton 2003 TR21
    2010 225 HO E-TEC
    HHBC

9. Member
    Go on the Potomac Page and look under the post from Mike Express

He explains everything about additives and things, it is his know all. Great read

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcuts9 View Post
    Go on the Potomac Page and look under the post from Mike Express

He explains everything about additives and things, it is his know all. Great read
    Wow my head is still spinning. Great read. I looking at what was originally suggested. Drain tank and start fresh.
    Thanks everyone.
    Triton 2003 TR21
    2010 225 HO E-TEC
    HHBC

11. Member
    I purchased an electric fuel pump from an Advance Auto to pump gas out of mowers, cars and boats. It worked great just mounted it on a board, connected it and pump it dry.
    Rocket

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 375VTROCKET View Post
    I purchased an electric fuel pump from an Advance Auto to pump gas out of mowers, cars and boats. It worked great just mounted it on a board, connected it and pump it dry.
    Great idea.
    Triton 2003 TR21
    2010 225 HO E-TEC
    HHBC