Thread: Ultrex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ultrex

I considered getting spot lock for my boat. Seeing as I have humminbird fishfinders I thought about getting a minn kota trolling motor but I've heard so many negative reviews from them relating to quality. Any thoughts on this? Thought about just getting a garmin or Lowrance trolling motor.

2. Member
    Plenty of people only post the bad. Been running a Ultrex since 2018, zero issues and been an awesome setup with my helix’s. With that said I like some of the tech the competition came out with too. New tomorrow I would buy another ultrex tho to take advantage of the connection with the graphs for how I use it.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

3. Member
    Like Eyeballs said,you only hear the bad. I’m on my second Ultrex with no issues at all.

4. Member
    Have you read the reviews on the others? There are plenty of negative reviews on them too. I'd consider buying the one that is easiest to service or get serviced in your area.

Squeaky wheel get the grease or talked about and the rest of us are good to go. Get the unit you want. I love my link
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

6. Member
    Again, you mostly hear the negative. Ultrex has been around for nearly five years, and I can't imagine how many units there are on the water compared to the other competitors that just came out within the last two years. So obviously, if one company has so many more units in service than the others, you will hear more complaints just because of the numbers. The Ultrex had some early issues (steering cables, foot sensors) that were corrected not long after release. I would have no problem buying another one.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

7. Member
    My Maxxum had an issue so I forked out the money and purchased an Ultrex. I've only had it for a few months but this is by far the best trolling motor I have ever used. It took me about 5 minutes to get used to it. Spot lock is a game changer. Can't wait to use it for a full season. I will catch more fish due to having this motor.

8. Member
    Three (3) months ago, I purchased an Ultrex to replace my older Fortrex. I upgraded because I wanted the additional features that came with the Ultrex. The Fortrex I had was a great trolling motor and had never given me any issues. I could not be happier with the new Ultrex and now I wish I would have made the upgrade sooner. There can be issues with any trolling motor brands that are available. I decided I would stick with the brand I was familiar with and most comfortable with, as well as the brand I felt was the most reliable. Whatever you get, do your homework and research all brands. Just my opinion, and based on my personal experience.

9. Member
    I went with a brushless motor because I'm on the water a lot. I had a Ultrex as a back up for a Ultrex

I bought my Ultrex in October, 2017. If I remember correctly, it was right after they were introduced, and before they really became popular. It has been bulletproof - 0 problems! I wish Minn Kota would come out with a transducer upgrade for it, as I now have to use an external chirp / down imaging transducer. I have carried a spare prop since it was new, and never used it. I have a friend with a Garmin, and he has been through 4 props in just 2 years...
    Last edited by Texas Larry; 11-19-2021 at 09:10 AM.

11. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I bought one in either 2018 or 2019 and to date no issues. ONly thing is the on/off rocker switch.......
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

12. Member
    I had a Ultrex and used it for nearly 2 years. I had zero issues. I have lowrance graphs, 4 of them, and so I got the ghost to link up with my graphs. Plus it is brushless and consumes a lot less battery. But as you said, you have HB graphs and makes sense to get the ultrex. Ultrex is a proven TM.
    2017 ZX250 250 SHO

13. Banned
    I was on the fence as well, finally picked one up mid season last year and I'm happy. It's not giving me any issues, I did not this fall the motor was slow to turn a few time, but it went away...? I pulled the motor off and will take it in over the winter to get serviced. I also kept my fortrex as a spare...

14. Member
    You guys must not fish very much. I had a 2017 Ultrex. Cables broke first year, rear pivot bushings went second year as well as the steering control sensor. The 3rd year the control module and main control board went out. I purchased a new Ultrex late this summer to replace the 2017 model. I didn't have time to get the parts and fix the 2017 because of my tournament schedule. The new Ultrex has been good for the last 3 months I have used it. Well besides I had to adjust the reed switch because it didn't come set correctly from the factory... This is why I am going to repair the 2017 and keep it as a spare. Only a matter of time before the new Ultrex goes out. The problem being is sometimes you can't get the parts or don't have time to get them and repair before a tournament!

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    You guys must not fish very much. I had a 2017 Ultrex. Cables broke first year, rear pivot bushings went second year as well as the steering control sensor. The 3rd year the control module and main control board went out. I purchased a new Ultrex late this summer to replace the 2017 model. I didn't have time to get the parts and fix the 2017 because of my tournament schedule. The new Ultrex has been good for the last 3 months I have used it. Well besides I had to adjust the reed switch because it didn't come set correctly from the factory... This is why I am going to repair the 2017 and keep it as a spare. Only a matter of time before the new Ultrex goes out. The problem being is sometimes you can't get the parts or don't have time to get them and repair before a tournament!
    I fish 700-800 hours season, that's from May-November. So I think I fish a lot, the difference maybe I care for my stuff more then others. I'm not hard on my gear, I don't beat on my boat and I service my stuff often. I know that makes a big diffence.

I've got one of the original Ultrex's and it hasn't missed a lick. One of my buddies had one of his cables break. When he bought his replacement cables they told him the new ones are thicker and less likely to break. Since I have an old Ultrex, and I fish A LOT, I thought it might be a good idea to switch out my cables, so I bought a new set. I changed them, and low and behold the old cables look perfect. I'm keeping the old ones for spares. I love my Ultrex! AND ... If the one I've got quits on me I'll get another one!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    I fish 700-800 hours season, that's from May-November. So I think I fish a lot, the difference maybe I care for my stuff more then others. I'm not hard on my gear, I don't beat on my boat and I service my stuff often. I know that makes a big diffence.
    Good try, No one takes care of there stuff more then I do. So that is not it!

18. Member
    Why did you buy another with all the problems you are talking about? Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    Good try, No one takes care of there stuff more then I do. So that is not it!
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

19. Member
    My Ultrex has been flawless.....best thing on my boat.

20. Member
    I love my Ultrex I just blew up by running to long on high speed. It has taking some beatings and performed well up to this last episode.
    Tech said he would replace the on/off switch that comes on after being placed on off-a common issue he said.
    But he said the “ultrex is the best motor out there”. And he works on them all.
    I think I will be keeping mine for a while longer!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast