Nice warm days ahead... M-T-W

Who is going out??? I am headed out Tuesday for a few hours. Looking for some
    deeper smallies with drop shot and NED rigs.
    I was out the other day and the wind picked up so I packed it in after no bites in 2 hours.
    Hope tomorrow is better and less wind.
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

2. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Heading out in a few.... 42 degrees now at 7am and going in the 60s.
    I’ll post later when I get home with the results......
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

3. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Well was a nice day out....Didn’t kill them but we got some. Water temp was 50.2
    Threw jerk baits, chatter-baits, SBs, NED, NEKO cranks, and wacky 5” stix.
    Got 2 smallies on plastic craw and NEKO, 1 nice perch on. Crank, and a pickerel on wacky.
    All in all it was just great to be out in 60+ degree weather in Nov.
    Tomorrow might be “Put the Ranger to sleep day” for winter.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

4. Member
    Tim,
    glad to see you got some time on the water!

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    The end of fishing in PA is clearly near. Water is 63 at SML Virginia, should be some good days ahead as the fish follow the bait into the coves. If I could get my freezer filled with venison I could focus on the fishing.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    The end of fishing in PA is clearly near. Water is 63 at SML Virginia, should be some good days ahead as the fish follow the bait into the coves. If I could get my freezer filled with venison I could focus on the fishing.
    PA fishing is far from near over. I keep my boat out all winter long as long as there's no ice and I keep catching them!

Went out hit a couple local lakes. Seems like it’s slowing down only a couple lookers wouldn’t hit. Caught a big goldfish first time. Just some great days to get out and enjoy the sunshine.

8. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Any day out is GREAT. Glad to see you in the Pa Page. WELCOME. Where do you fish mainly???
    Bunch of good guys in this Pa forum. Have a great day and thanks for posting.

Tim
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

Thanks. I'm on the west side. Mostly a muskie fisherman but I get a bass here and there haha.

Good luck with your winter fishing, remember to keep that life jacket on because any help will be few and far between this time of year.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

11. Member
    Always keep the life jacket on that time of year. Not my first rodeo, been doin it for some years now and have a fishing partner that loves the winter fishing so that’s a plus and no funny business. Actuality love that time of year.

12. Member
    During the summer, I'll wear a Mustang 100 mph vest when running the big motor, but switch to an inflatable to fish. In winter, it's the Mustang all the time. Keeps me warm.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

We lost an angler on SML this past late winter under the oddest of circumstances. He was in his buddies boat as they launched and the boat floated off the trailer in the usual manner with some momentum moving it towards deeper water. As the driver headed up the ramp to park the truck the fella in the boat apparently was lowering the electric motor into the water and lost his balance, falling into the lake ( water temp low to mid 40’s). He did not yet have a life jacket on and the boat quickly drifted out of his reach. So one person is in the water, boat drifting away, and his buddy is driving up towards the parking lot and doesn’t see what is happening. A somewhat nearby person sees all this and runs over, jumps into the water and swims to the floundering angler (very risky, bless that person), but by the time the rescuer can get the angler into shallower water the angler goes into cardiac arrest and cannot be revived. I’m pretty bad about not putting my life jacket on immediately and this really opened my eyes as to what can go wrong. Especially when you are wearing 20 lbs. of winter clothing.

14. Member
    Got out today and boated 10 smallies, nothing huge but a few nicer ones. Water temps were between 45-47 and got a couple on the dropshot and the rest on a small swimbait. Not bad for 4 hours on a nice December day.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billwvu05 View Post
    Got out today and boated 10 smallies, nothing huge but a few nicer ones. Water temps were between 45-47 and got a couple on the dropshot and the rest on a small swimbait. Not bad for 4 hours on a nice December day.
    That’s awesome! Good day on the water for December. Great time of year to be out.