Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Flouro vs Braid in Ma , NH , Me

Like to get guys thoughts and opinions on Flouro and Braid up here in our Northeast region chasing Largemouth.

For the most part our vegetation is the (muck) Coon tail and Traditional Lilly Pads.

What are guys using ? Flouro or Braid ?

Myself I’m not a big fan of tying on leaders …
    Regardless of how good of knot ….it’s just another reason to fail.
    If I’m going to use Braid … I’d rather go with 30 lb and tie direct in dirty water pitching into thick stuff.
    I have tied 50 lb Braid to 14 lb Flouro leader and have not noticed major differences?
    Like I said … I’d honestly rather not mess with a leader.

What size Flouro are guys using ? Am I crazy going to 20 lb Flouro? In thick stuff VS Braid to leader ?
    Love to hear everyone’s thoughts on it ? Especially considering that our Largies have a tendency to be just a bit more line shy up here in this region VS the Southern region.

Appreciate your time and Tight Lines !
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

2. Member
    I will bite. I usually only tie braid to fluro leaders on my spinning rods. I am a dropshot phanatic and fish a ton of clear smallie lakes but my set up still works for largies. I use sunline 12lb braid to 7 or 8 lb sunline sniper fluro. I've caught 6lb largemouth close to brush and weeds with little issue.
    Now if I know it's a pure largemouth fishery with stained water I dont waste my time. I go straight braid for many applications or straight upsized fluro. No need for a knot like you said to fail. 16 lb fluro is fine by me for most of the swampy areas I fish.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by A Wood View Post
    I will bite. I usually only tie braid to fluro leaders on my spinning rods. I am a dropshot phanatic and fish a ton of clear smallie lakes but my set up still works for largies. I use sunline 12lb braid to 7 or 8 lb sunline sniper fluro. I've caught 6lb largemouth close to brush and weeds with little issue.
    Now if I know it's a pure largemouth fishery with stained water I dont waste my time. I go straight braid for many applications or straight upsized fluro. No need for a knot like you said to fail. 16 lb fluro is fine by me for most of the swampy areas I fish.
    Throwing Spinning gear …. I completely agree.
    Generally it’s 14 lb braid to 8 lb Flouro leader.
    I have come to the thoughts that fishing pure Largemouth..16 lb Flouro casting bottom contact. If fishing heavy pads 30 lb braid direct with no leader.
    I wanted to hear everyone’s local thoughts on it ?
    Considering our vegetation isn’t quite as heavy as Southern fisheries.
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

4. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    All my spinning set-ups are 20lb Power pro to 6 to 12lb fluoro depending on what I'm fishing , Straight Fluoro I like 14lb , sometimes I will go straight braid that is usually 30lb PP
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

5. Member
    B/C: I'm running mostly 30# braid to 15# Seaguar Red leader material w/ 13 wrap FG knots. I haven't had the FG fail yet (did have some issues prior, with the Lazy/Crazy? Alberto). NH average water clarity is over 3m.

All depends on water clarity. Clear water my spinning is YGK 10# to 6-8lb flouro. Casting is 15# flouro. for bottom contact. Turbid water braid 50# no leader, I tend to go casting equipment with turbid waters. jig in weeds- braid even in clear water. jerkbait- 10# flouro, chatter, spinerbaits- braid.

If you find the guy who told the fish what line is, let me know I have more questions.

Strait braid .. no leaders just another weak link IMHO .. it’s worked for me for 20 years and don’t get out fished but a leader thrower very often .. trying to think of when it actually happened and I fish plenty of clear water … I just don’t believe most fish are smart enough to stare at something that long and get spooked by it except in the cold weather when they are super slow

Only time I throw Flouro is on jerk baits .. other than that I find the stuff useless and breaks way to easy

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    Strait braid .. no leaders just another weak link IMHO .. it’s worked for me for 20 years and don’t get out fished but a leader thrower very often .. trying to think of when it actually happened and I fish plenty of clear water … I just don’t believe most fish are smart enough to stare at something that long and get spooked by it except in the cold weather when they are super slow

Only time I throw Flouro is on jerk baits .. other than that I find the stuff useless and breaks way to easy
    Had my buddy’s 75 year old Dad tell me the same thing last week.
    He said “If your fishing murky to stained water choked up with coontail don’t be foolish enough to tie on a leader”
    “Your only asking for it” …. he said “Those fish sure as heck don’t notice it “
    The only time I would disagree to strength in Flouro over braid is if you fish near lots of rocks. The Flouro will hold up better around rocks.
    Reaction baits … Cranks , Spinnerbaits, I tend to lean towards Flouro as well .
    Heck … There’s an argument for Mono fishing them as well .

The specific types of water I’m considering straight braid is the Dirty shallower ponds and lakes that typically are Largemouth, Pickerel fisheries that have lots of coontail and heavy pads up here in the Northeast.
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

9. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    It is all what someone feels comfortable fishing and what works for them, had a tourney last week on Mashpee winning bag was 24.55 lbs not too shabby one guy was throwing mono and the other was throwing fluoro, both had good things to make there point and it works for them in this was clear ,deep water

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by A Wood View Post
    Completely agreed with this. I prefer straight flouro on my casting setups, but I LOVE to fish rocks more than anything. Rocks and braid are no bueno, so I'm always tying a leader on my spinning reels. Not at all necessary when fishing for largemouth, or anything in stained water, so those days I'll go straight braid. When i do tie a leader, I use the alberto knot. It's sooo much better than uni-to-uni, but ties faster/more easily than the FG knot though I believe that's the best leader knot. I go with what I can do confidently and quickly though.

I’m truly lost on this braid can’t be around rocks thing .. have heard it for years but I don’t seem to have the issue along with other strait braid throwers (Bob Goss ,Frank to name a few ). Is NH full of special sharp rocks that mass and Maine don’t have (majority of my fishing is in those two states ) I throw a 1/2 ounce jig 90 percent of the time I think I would have major issues with break offs ? Do you have fresh water mussles on the rocks ?

Not being argumentative but I’m wondering if it like the bass see braid thing… the diameters and toughness have changed over the years

I’m certainly not trying to change anyone .. fish what works for you and what you have confidence in

12. Moderator
    I've been using straight braid on my cranking rod. Not because of rocks but Pike will cut flouro or mono fairly easy. Tried the flouro leader to braid but to much work. I tie a leader to braid on drop shot setup and maybe other light rod setups. Never broken any line due to rocks.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    I’m truly lost on this braid can’t be around rocks thing .. have heard it for years but I don’t seem to have the issue along with other strait braid throwers (Bob Goss ,Frank to name a few ). Is NH full of special sharp rocks that mass and Maine don’t have (majority of my fishing is in those two states ) I throw a 1/2 ounce jig 90 percent of the time I think I would have major issues with break offs ? Do you have fresh water mussles on the rocks ?

Not being argumentative but I’m wondering if it like the bass see braid thing… the diameters and toughness have changed over the years

I’m certainly not trying to change anyone .. fish what works for you and what you have confidence in
    Honestly a great question, could just be the difference in how you and I fish. I have tried straight braid for jigs off and on over the years but I break off way more often when fishing rocks when doing that. I've tried the BPS braid, both versions of Power Pro, and Daiwa J-Braid, always have issues in the rocks with all of those lines so I just tie on a leader and never have to worry about it. If I'm going with big lures I'll tie on a 15-20 lb leader of flouro, and ever since I switched over to the Alberto knot, I haven't had any issues with the leader knot being an issue. If I break off, I still break off at the lure, not the leader knot.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 603bass View Post
    Honestly a great question, could just be the difference in how you and I fish. I have tried straight braid for jigs off and on over the years but I break off way more often when fishing rocks when doing that. I've tried the BPS braid, both versions of Power Pro, and Daiwa J-Braid, always have issues in the rocks with all of those lines so I just tie on a leader and never have to worry about it. If I'm going with big lures I'll tie on a 15-20 lb leader of flouro, and ever since I switched over to the Alberto knot, I haven't had any issues with the leader knot being an issue. If I break off, I still break off at the lure, not the leader knot.
    I started tying leaders for the same reason. I'd throw a jig all day on braid, inspect the line after any major contact... and then break it off trying to shake it off something, or snap it with 5# of pressure. I'd still be using the Alberto but I have a couple of rods with micro tiptops that it hangs on, and it's also a problem pitching. Maybe our rocks are sharper (mostly busted up ledge, not river or shore rocks... Looking at you Sunapee)?

15. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I have to agree with the rock and braid senario ,break off a lot more in rocks with braid then fluoro , so tie a leader when fishing rocks instead of straight braid.

16. Member
    My view is that using leaders provides you more versatility without having to switch lines on your reel or the feeling that you are "stuck" fishing a certain lb test braid all the time because that is all you have on your reel. A leader gives me the flexibility to tie on any lb test floro I feel I need for any situation. It is like being able to do a line change on the water on the fly by simply changing my leader. I use the alberto with a twist and since I moved to that knot, no breakoffs. It is quick and easy, unlike FG, and I can tie on the boat with wind gusting and chop on the water.

17. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    What is an Alberto with a twist?????

18. Member
    It is the CRAZY Alberto I believe... only knot you need for a leader

19. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    yes I use the Crazy Alberto but when you said with a twist I thought you might be adding something extra...lol you never know when a better idea comes along.

20. Member
    Straight Braid works for me, I've never used a leader.

I use straight 50 pound Braid on my flipping stick, flipping wood or weeds year round.

When I use spinning gear, I use 30 pound braid fishing Lily pads/weeds/docks.

You got to show the fish who's the boss!!!
    1998 Triton TR-20, 2017 Evinrude 150HO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast