Looking at a 1999 Stratos 21SS Extreme, issues?

Going to look at a 1999 Stratos 21SS Extreme this coming Friday. Boat looks exceptionally clean and well keep for its age. Has the 225HP Eventrude Fitch motor which I know has some issues.

Is there anything in particular I should look for, areas of issues from this model boat.
    Thanks for any and all help.
    Zach

Check the transom. Rock that Fitch front to back and see if you get any movement. Also carefully check the floor in front of the driver and passenger seats.
    2003 Stratos 185, Yamaha V150LTRB, Tempest Plus 25P

3. Member
    99 ficht? one off year no parts hardly available 2000 plus ficht might be fine if it has the fancy dash it likely has died also also look trailer over well for rust and cracks at welds

better be cheap enough to repower it soon and not be in too deep money wise also
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    Does anyone make a dual graph console mount for a 21SS?

5. Member
    Zach,
    here are the items to look at,

Boat
    1. check inside transom/splash well and look for cracks at the corners. Typical to see some stress cracks along the sides.
    2. look at rub rail on rear or outer boat. You are checking to see if rub rail is secure and no screws missing and if the top cap is separating from the hull.
    3. inspect battery bilge area for soft spots in the wood, fiberglass cloth separating on the stringers and most importantly under of transom looking upwards for cracks.
    4. if you put boat in water open battery door and look for water filling up inside the bilge. Can be something simple as a cracked livewell pump fitting or the seal between the top cap and hull on transom is leaking. The SS Extremes has issues of leaks but if the cap it not separating it is fixable by removing the jackplate and rub rail and properly sealing where the cap and hull meet.

Motor
    1. check lower unit gear oil and make sure it is not milky like a leaking seal.
    2. Spin the prop and make sure the shaft is not bent.
    3. Check compression, If i remember it should be about 90 to 105 psi. A difference of .10 percent is within range.
    4. Check spark plugs and make sure not electrodes are missing.
    5. inspect and look inside the belly pan and underside of power head with a mechanics mirror for any oil leaks or water leaking on the back of motor at the water passages.
    6. Under load see how it performs getting on plane and also mid throttle and then wide open.

The Ficht motors do not not have a good reputation for longevity. for every two Ficht's sold one blew. Typically the powerhead failures seem to be located on the port side of motor just under the starter. When they fail the powerhead is cracked and not rebuilable. If it checks out make sure to buy the harness and software made for diagnosing that motor.

Trailer
    1. Check brake fluid in master cylinder near front of trailer. Fluid should be level to underside of rubber plug. Fluid clear or murky?
    2. Check lights
    3. Check trailer frame, crawl under the boat and look at the welds as think it is a tube trailer.

6. Member
    Thanks everyone, appreciate it, have a checklist to go through now!!

wish I could figure out how to resize photos the seller sent. See if anything jumps out at anyone.

7. Member

8. Member
    my 2000 20ss must be worth way more than I thought?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    MAGA

9. Member
    What would you say its worth? I know what NADA has it at and the price me and the seller agreed upon if everything passes inspection.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zachrabbit15 View Post
    What would you say its worth? I know what NADA has it at and the price me and the seller agreed upon if everything passes inspection.
    i quoted mine to a guy at 13500 thought I was pushing the high end for such a clean boat with a ficht?? worth what you will give for it and he will take I guess in this crazy market

just know if motor goes it will be a new or different one as parts will be almost impossible to find. great looking boat besides that
    Last edited by mactlman; 11-09-2021 at 06:55 AM.
    MAGA

11. Member
    Thanks for the honesty, the motor has been my main waffling point.

12. Member
    My concern would be the most expensive part of the boat, the motor. I understand values are up and all depends on the person selling/purchasing.

13. Member
    Thanks everyone for the input. I ended up passing on it and bought a 2005 Triton TR-21X with a 250 Merc Optimax, boats been babied its whole life and only has 287hours on it. Still love the layout on the Stratos just not comfortable with the potential engine issues.

14. Member
    Triton are good boats too.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zachrabbit15 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the input. I ended up passing on it and bought a 2005 Triton TR-21X with a 250 Merc Optimax, boats been babied its whole life and only has 287hours on it. Still love the layout on the Stratos just not comfortable with the potential engine issues.
    same guy did both boats-- might of heard of him? named earl
    MAGA

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    same guy did both boats-- might of heard of him? named earl
    I watched that show, My Name is Earl is a classic :)

17. Member
    I have a 21 ss love it. Great in rough water and is a missle. Like others have said check the items listed. There is no wood in transom like others have stated. Wood was in earlier years. Fully composite transom so I’m told. I’ve had to do some resealing of the top cap because screws like to back out. In some areas I’ve employed what basscat does with their boats and have actually put fasteners with locking nuts where accessible. Don’t forget about trailer too on those older boats. Do an inspection of the cross members.

18. Member
    Saw the link nice boat but 19k is way too much. I would sell mine for 15k and it has everything that does but with 12 inch graphs and an ultrex.