Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lithium below freezing

0E5E6F98-ACCE-4D6E-A3ED-69EDA399827F.jpeg9EE09B86-F877-443D-A0B2-76775F9E1AE2.jpeg

this is from my app yesterday morning while launching the boat. You can see even though the air temp was around 29 degrees the battery was 37 degrees internal. The boat was left outside all night and it didn’t hesitate to start up at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

2. Member
    I think the (Lithium below freezing) warning is for charging the battery only, not for using it.

Rajun Cajun
    Johnson 1995 #J130TLEOP
    S# GO3872031

Quote Originally Posted by scubatelco View Post
    I think the (Lithium below freezing) warning is for charging the battery only, not for using it.
    Correct. Battery cold protection allows no charge from engine and possible alternator problems. It would be interesting to see what would happen if the battery would have been below 32

Yes I am aware. The battery warmed up to 39 degrees once I started running the motor. I’m just showing this for the guys that are concerned about running their battery in cold weather and how it performs. I also have a relion 100ah hp in parallel that I believe has no cold weather protection so if the BMS trips on my ionic the relion would probably take over the full load. Not sure how the cold weather charging works with ionic. Not sure if it cuts the battery off completely or if it just doesn’t allow charge but will allow discharge.

MLF Invitationals Angler

Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    Yes I am aware. The battery warmed up to 39 degrees once I started running the motor. I’m just showing this for the guys that are concerned about running their battery in cold weather and how it performs. I also have a relion 100ah hp in parallel that I believe has no cold weather protection so if the BMS trips on my ionic the relion would probably take over the full load. Not sure how the cold weather charging works with ionic. Not sure if it cuts the battery off completely or if it just doesn’t allow charge but will allow discharge.
    Thanks...keep us posted!!

I read on hear people with motorcycles and lithium's that they will turn the head lights on for a couple minutes to warm up the battery before trying to start it. When it's cold as when it is warmed up it has more power to crank.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    I read on hear people with motorcycles and lithium's that they will turn the head lights on for a couple minutes to warm up the battery before trying to start it. When it's cold as when it is warmed up it has more power to crank.
    Same thing with a cold start on vehicles. Hold the high beam stalk back a few seconds to heat the battery up before starting. "They" say it's easier on the battery.

8. Member
    I have my doubts about battery warming under load. I had a lithium failure that Relion said was due to charging at cold temperatures. Used about 10 or 12 times before failure.Even though that battery had low temperature cutout . The power pole charge sending power to the Relion batteries in the cold is what damaged them.
    and the one battery that did eventually go into low temperature cutout, Just went to sleep and had to be revived in the warmth of the garage on the charger.
    Relion replaced both batteries which I promptly sold, and the power pole charge is sitting in the corner somewhere with the other garbage.
    If someone with the Bluetooth app could actually see a temperature rise in the battery under load I think that would be interesting to see.

Quote Originally Posted by EdCas View Post
    I have my doubts about battery warming under load. I had a lithium failure that Relion said was due to charging at cold temperatures. Used about 10 or 12 times before failure.Even though that battery had low temperature cutout . The power pole charge sending power to the Relion batteries in the cold is what damaged them.
    and the one battery that did eventually go into low temperature cutout, Just went to sleep and had to be revived in the warmth of the garage on the charger.
    Relion replaced both batteries which I promptly sold, and the power pole charge is sitting in the corner somewhere with the other garbage.
    If someone with the Bluetooth app could actually see a temperature rise in the battery under load I think that would be interesting to see.
    Like I said battery warmed to 39 degrees. Only a 2-3 rise. This was after running my pro xs for over 20 min. IMO the rise was due to the sun coming up and the air just getting warmer. Relion is supposed to be able to take a light amp charge at below freezing without damage and as far as I know doesn’t have any low temp cutoff on their specs.

MLF Invitationals Angler

Going out this weekend to fish in some below freezing conditions which is my greatest fear with my setup. Gonna see how these perform and if charging is possible with my light bulb in the battery compartment. I will post an update Monday.

Just got back. We had lows down to 23 and snow. Water was still 46 and kept batteries very close to that temp throughout the day. The boat was pulled out on trailer overnight.
    The light in the single battery compartment got temp to 61. The compartment that has 4 batteries and 2 chargers was at 41 after a nighttime charge. Very satisfied with the setup so far.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    Just got back. We had lows down to 23 and snow. Water was still 46 and kept batteries very close to that temp throughout the day. The boat was pulled out on trailer overnight.
    The light in the single battery compartment got temp to 61. The compartment that has 4 batteries and 2 chargers was at 41 after a nighttime charge. Very satisfied with the setup so far.
    Thanks for the report!
    ciao,
    Marc

13. Member
    Bloodman, how do you have your setup to keep your compartments warm when charging? Thanks.
    Last edited by Chuck H.; 11-30-2021 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck H. View Post
    Bloodman, how do you have your setup to keep your batteries warm? Thanks.
    I just use a work light with wire protector and 100 watt bulb in the compartment to heat it when charging. It was the first time I tried it but it worked as I thought. I have 2 battery compartments in my boat. The one with the bulb has only my 5th battery and no charger. The other compartment has 2 chargers and 4 batteries. That one got down to 40 or so. This is new to me but it seemed to work good. The water was 46 when I was fishing but air temp got to 23 at night. After pulling the boat out I think the inner hull stayed warm until I got to where we were staying and then I plugged it in. My greatest fear was battery shutdown from cold temps when starting but I think thats a remote possibility. The battery will not get colder that the water your in from what I've seen.

15. Member
    If I was regular for below freezing temps I would put one of these on each battery.

https://www.amazon.com/GAOHOU-Electr...794V5J5H&psc=1

Turn them on 15-20 minutes before taking off and during charging and get the double warm up of the pad and the internal temps going up from use. This is what they use for pizza box heaters and water tanks on rv's
    2019 z18 175 ProXs 4 stroke, DC, 10 Ft Power Pole Blades, Relion lithium batteries, Ghost trolling motor, Lowrance Live's, SS structure, Airmar TM150, Vessel View Link, PowerPole Charge.

Quote Originally Posted by ammdrew View Post
    If I was regular for below freezing temps I would put one of these on each battery.

https://www.amazon.com/GAOHOU-Electr...794V5J5H&psc=1

Turn them on 15-20 minutes before taking off and during charging and get the double warm up of the pad and the internal temps going up from use. This is what they use for pizza box heaters and water tanks on rv's
    I did look at stuff like that as some say it could damage the plastic cases on the battery. The plastic cases can warp from the heat apparently. Not sure. Be careful with applying heaters to the case.

17. Member
    I did look at stuff like that as some say it could damage the plastic cases on the battery. The plastic cases can warp from the heat apparently. Not sure. Be careful with applying heaters to the case.
    Mine arrived yesterday. They're stuck to the underside of the battery compartment lids. I'll give 'em a trial run later into the Winter. They're not directly on top of the batteries but off to the side, in more open space. With the lids closed, the heat should be plenty enough + I have sheets of 2" foam on top of the lids.

Quote Originally Posted by cmb View Post
    Mine arrived yesterday. They're stuck to the underside of the battery compartment lids. I'll give 'em a trial run later into the Winter. They're not directly on top of the batteries but off to the side, in more open space. With the lids closed, the heat should be plenty enough + I have sheets of 2" foam on top of the lids.
    Please provide an update on this. Very interesting!

19. Member
    May want to keep in mind overheating is also bad. If there is no ventilation in the summer you can also shorten their life from heat. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

20. Member
    Yes overheating is bad, I would not use a heating pad all of the time when out, you should only need it to start off your day and once you are using the battery it should stay warm from use, charging or discharging.
    You can also shop around for a lower temp regulated heat pad or put a thermostat in place. Really depends if you fish into the cold months when ice starts to form or if you fish the open river water all winter.. Most will just need to warm the batteries up at take off and will be fine for the rest of the day, and then warm them up before charging which with lithium's should only take a few hours after a day of fishing not all night to fully soak them like lead acid requires to get fully charged.
    2019 z18 175 ProXs 4 stroke, DC, 10 Ft Power Pole Blades, Relion lithium batteries, Ghost trolling motor, Lowrance Live's, SS structure, Airmar TM150, Vessel View Link, PowerPole Charge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast