Thread: 819 opinions

819 opinions

Sell me on the 819. I just sold my 2019 skeeter zx200. I'm strongly considering ordering a phoenix 819. If anyone has or had a 819, could you tell me the pros and cons. I'm not interested in speed so, I'm not considering the 919. Thanks

2. Scraps
    I have a 2017. Came out of 1998 Ranger 461. This thing obviously rides way better and fishes like a big boat. Trailer and trailer components the downfall of the Phoenix but may be not be entirely different from other brands since there is one supplier of most trailer parts right now.

The biggest adjustment for me was with the layout. I think your Skeeter has a similar layout to my old Ranger - doesn't have the full deck all the way back to the console, a day box, and you can have your center compartment open and sit on one of the rod lockers while retyring. I'm probably in the minority, but I could live without the full deck, don't like the massive center compartment up front, and want a day box.

When I bought I was seriously choosing between Phoenix and Skeeter, had similar trade offers from dealers. Whether completely true or not the time the quality issues I was seeing with Skeeter drove me to Phoenix. But I can see now I would have liked the Skeeter layout better.

Curious why you're going away from Skeeter?
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Member
    I'm not necessarily going away. My new boat will be either a Skeeter or Phoenix. The last two boats I had was a 16 zx225 and a zx200. The 225 had to be sent back to Skeeter and my 200 had to have gel coat repaired. I did love the day boxes in the Skeeter, and they both drove great, no chine walking at all. They both did porpoise at 30mph trimmed all the way down. I was looking at the 819 because it fills that void between the 225 and 200. I'm not a speed demon so the 200 will fit me fine. Right now the 225 is 60k with ultrex, I can get a 819 with what I want for 56k.

Friend picked up a 919 , same hull as 819 just less goodies. I have to say that boat is bigger than I was expecting. For a "19' boat" it is and has everything you would want at a fraction of the price of a 20' 920. They, 819-919, have the same front deck just the 920 has a slightly larger rear deck. The 819 with a 200 is a 70+ MPH boat that does everything right. Dollar for Dollar its an excellent rig compared to the others.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

5. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I have the older 619, and its an awesome boat. I can ride at about 20 mph without it bouncing like a skeeter.......if not setup just right you will get some walking....but getting the correct height on jackplate and learning how to control it, helps.....mine is like riding on rails....very little chine walking......these dont have day boxes......
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

6. Member
    I just received my 819 last weekend, I have had it out twice now and my mind is blown with this boat. It rides like a dream, fishes great. Has plenty of room, and is very stable. This is my first bigger bass boat so don't have much to compare to.

7. Member
    I bought an 819 in January of this year. I had a 721 I sold in January of 2020 and bought a Skeeter center console, long story but I am back in a Phoenix. I fish Rayburn and Toledo, so far this boat has handled everything I want to run it at my age. I have hit 68 in the summer with hot water, I suspect it will run over 70 in the winter with a 23 Fury on it. Hole shot is great, rides good, even catches fish now and then.

As to the day box, I bought one from AMPD Marine that fits in my driver's side rod box. I have never used one before. I did post some pictures of the box on here under another thread.

Just as with any boat you will find someone that does not like this or that, they are all the same. My second and probably last Phoenix. This weekend I am running a 21 PHX from a bass boat rental company for a high school tournament, my wife already said no!

Any questions, let me know.
    2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 Pro XS - Ser No 2B779353
    Ultrex/Humminbird Helix 12 SI Mega/Helix 10 Mega DI/Mega 360
    Garmin 1022 with LVS34

8. Member
    I bought a 819 last Spring. I too was considering both Phoenix and Skeeter. But I was coming out of a Bumble Bee 2100 Super Vee (basically today's 721 layout) and loved that boat so I went with the Phoenix since they took BB's facility over when they started. I too could care less about speed so going with a 200HP was a no-brainer for me. The 819 is a good fishing platform.....love the wider deck on the 819/919/920 series boats. Hole shot is great, you can ride as slow as you want with no porpoising , and it will go faster than I care to go anymore. The 200 ProXS 4-stroke is STOUT....you can stomp it when cruising at 35 MPH and it will slide all of your rods on the deck to the middle of the boat if you don't have them strapped down. The shear torque of that motor is unreal. I don't really miss the day boxes as the smaller boxes next to the cooler suffice just fine for daily tackle usage.

9. Member
    Thanks for the replies guys!

819 is a great boat. Fishes a lot bigger then some 19’ in its class.
    got mine in Jan. Can fish 2 up front easy. The boat rides and handles just as good
    or better then some 20’ boats. Summer with 2guys full live wells it will run
    67-68. cooler temps it will hit 70-71. The boat just rides so good you can’t go wrong

11. Moderator
    A buddy of mine has an 819. I've driven it quite a few times. It rides really well. It's pretty darned quick too. 70.? It never touched 71 but ran 70. It needed to be driven but that was fine. I like a "loose" running boat. Overall, I'd be proud to own one.