2015 250 SHO, safe to crank on hose to verify it cranks ok?

Gents, I have a 2015 250 SHO that I have not run in 3 months. Was going to take a Vet buddy fishing tmmrw and just wanted to verify she was going ot spin over. Never had a issue at all but did'nt want him to drive 70 miles in AM unless I was 100% she would crank. I know my mechanic had it idling only on the hose several times. Just wanted to see what the Hammer Hive thought. Thx Kerry
    Kerry Copeland
    2015 Skeeter ZX250/250 SHO
    Decatur, Alabama

2. Member
    I've cranked mine up a few times using the hose connection.

3. Member
    Don't run long on the the hose bib fitting. Its supposed to be for flushing the engine, not running.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry201pro View Post
    Gents, I have a 2015 250 SHO that I have not run in 3 months. Was going to take a Vet buddy fishing tmmrw and just wanted to verify she was going ot spin over. Never had a issue at all but did'nt want him to drive 70 miles in AM unless I was 100% she would crank. I know my mechanic had it idling only on the hose several times. Just wanted to see what the Hammer Hive thought. Thx Kerry
    I run mine on the hose every spring just to be sure it will start, but only for a few seconds until it fires. Before cranking, I run the hose on light water pressure until water comes out the pee tube, then out the prop and finally out the water intake...To get that far it has to go past the impeller so you know that's getting "lubed". However, after sitting for several months, if you run it more than a few seconds it could be damaged by lack of oil in the upper end before building up oil pressure. For that reason I wait till I'm at the ramp to run it longer...
    Last edited by McQuaig; 11-11-2021 at 07:02 AM.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by McQuaig View Post
    I run mine on the hose every spring just to be sure it will start, but only for a few seconds until it fires. Before cranking, I run the hose on light water pressure until water comes out the pee tube, then out the prop and finally out the water intake...To get that far it has to go past the impeller so you know that's getting "lubed". However, after sitting for several months, if you run it more than a few seconds it could be damaged by lack of oil in the upper end before building up oil pressure. For that reason I wait till I'm at the ramp to run it longer...
    I am very curious about this and I am sincere in my question, I'm not trying to pick at you. I want to take the very best care of my engine as I can so I'm open to learning. I agree that the engine shouldn't be run on the flush hose for more than a few seconds, as a matter of fact I don't as my dealer said it was just for flushing but I know many do and I think your advice about letting the water run for a time before starting is perfect. I can see how you would want the water to get into the water pump. My question is about your last statement about if you run if for more than a few seconds it could be damaged by lack of oil. Help me understand how running it on the hose or maybe in a tank in your yard or at the lake makes any difference in the oil system. That system (oil pump, passageways, etc.) wouldn't care about how the engine is fed cooling water, or would it and I believe I'm correct in that the engine oil system does not lube the water pump. Your statement has put the question in my mind. Wouldn't the engine build normal oil pressure from running regardless of where it is at? I agree that an engine that has not been used for a time is going to have the potential for more wear upon start up and it would be extra wise to allow the engine to run at low rpm's until warm but that is good practice anytime. Anyway if you can, please expand on your comment about the oil pressure and how that relates to the source of engine cooling water. Thanks

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChooChooSnakeMan View Post
    I am very curious about this and I am sincere in my question, I'm not trying to pick at you. I want to take the very best care of my engine as I can so I'm open to learning. I agree that the engine shouldn't be run on the flush hose for more than a few seconds, as a matter of fact I don't as my dealer said it was just for flushing but I know many do and I think your advice about letting the water run for a time before starting is perfect. I can see how you would want the water to get into the water pump. My question is about your last statement about if you run if for more than a few seconds it could be damaged by lack of oil. Help me understand how running it on the hose or maybe in a tank in your yard or at the lake makes any difference in the oil system. That system (oil pump, passageways, etc.) wouldn't care about how the engine is fed cooling water, or would it and I believe I'm correct in that the engine oil system does not lube the water pump. Your statement has put the question in my mind. Wouldn't the engine build normal oil pressure from running regardless of where it is at? I agree that an engine that has not been used for a time is going to have the potential for more wear upon start up and it would be extra wise to allow the engine to run at low rpm's until warm but that is good practice anytime. Anyway if you can, please expand on your comment about the oil pressure and how that relates to the source of engine cooling water. Thanks
    Yes, you're right. The oil pressure has nothing to do with cooling water. What I meant is it does take time to build oil pressure and distribute the oil throughout the powerhead. That time is likely different between all types/sizes of engines and I really don't know the answer to how long. So for that reason, I only turn mine over for a couple seconds, long enough to fire (only once in the Spring and I don't like doing that even)...OR, if I was sure it's getting lots of water to lube the impeller (not for cooling), I would start it and let it run long enough to get the oil going throughout (just a guess, but probably takes more than half a minute?). Personally, the only time I'd run my SHO long enough to cause a heating issue would be in a tub or the lake, since I've heard the Yamaha "ears" don't work very well.
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by McQuaig View Post
    Yes, you're right. The oil pressure has nothing to do with cooling water. What I meant is it does take time to build oil pressure and distribute the oil throughout the powerhead. That time is likely different between all types/sizes of engines and I really don't know the answer to how long. So for that reason, I only turn mine over for a couple seconds, long enough to fire (only once in the Spring and I don't like doing that even)...OR, if I was sure it's getting lots of water to lube the impeller (not for cooling), I would start it and let it run long enough to get the oil going throughout (just a guess, but probably takes more than half a minute?). Personally, the only time I'd run my SHO long enough to cause a heating issue would be in a tub or the lake, since I've heard the Yamaha "ears" don't work very well.
    Thanks for the clarification. I think we think alike concerning engine care. I've been with guys who launch it, crank it, floor it, and run it. Those motors wear out fast and have more catastrophic failures. Oil and engine parts take time to heat up. Engine parts expand and clearances decrease. Without warm oil and a slow expansion of everything accelerated wear is inevitable. I've always felt that my experience with an item is directly related to my care and use of the item.

8. Member
    I've heard if you start a 4 stroke engine,you should let it get up to operating temp.
    Wes