Carpet padding opinions

Trying to get a order in for some under carpet padding. My carpet shipped today from bass cat and I’ve been kicking the ball around on ordering padding. I would just pull the trigger on the pro tech but the 42” wide kinda sucks compared to the sizes you can get threw bass boats seats.com but I don’t want crap either. Any opinions on brands of padding? Real world experiences? Thank you!

2. Member
    Basscat padding is good but can be hard to install. The easiest padding to use and I use regularly is the padding from Ranger. Very easy to install. If you go with ranger tell them you want the padding that’s not cut out for a recessed foot peddle.
    Gun Control..... Is hitting your target every time

3. Member
    I used the 42” Protech padding with no problems. I have a Triton TR20. Only had to piece it together in one spot for a few inches at the bow. I used contact cement so it has not been a problem.

4. Member
    I ended up ordering 20’ of the protech 42” pad to do the whole front deck and hopefully the back also. Adhesive was my next question but seems like contact cement seems to be the best bet

5. Member
    Birdsong adhesive is recommended to glue down the padding, it dry's under rubber where good Ol weldwood doesn't. The protech is bound together by plasticizer,(it's chopped up floor mats) weldwood will break it down, turning it to mush.
    Last edited by Scott S.; 11-08-2021 at 07:17 PM.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

6. Member
    So will using weld wood on carpet to padding mess it up also? or just padding to deck?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin21i View Post
    So will using weld wood on carpet to padding mess it up also? or just padding to deck?

Under the padding, it never fully dries. Call Birdsong and they will tell you what the results would be.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

8. Member
    Okay I’ll see if I can’t get some, am I right in understanding that weldwood is fine for carpet to pad or should I try to get enough from birdsong to do it all?

9. Member
    If you use the bass boat seats foam padding…it has a thin “felt” type base that WILL allow the spray on landau top “weld wood” stuff to cure just fine. It allows air flow to the glue.

me it isn’t any different that using the same glue without padding, the marine carpet has a rubber backing.

As a side note, the contact adhesive stuff, whatever brand, should be dry to the touch, on both surfaces, before attaching them together anyways. If it isn’t dry to the touch, you’re in too big of a hurry.

Also, Skeeter used the red landau top glue from the factory on my boat. It is a PITA to remove.

10. Member

What a joy this was, happy I did it, but it was a lot of work. Ended up only padding the entire front deck and not the rear.

11. Member
    That looks awesome! Nice job. About how many hours diid it take you to do the carpet replacement?

12. Member
    Thank you! It took a lot longer than I thought. I didn’t really keep track, I did it a couple hours a day after work over a few weeks.