Thread: Rod Box Lights

Rod Box Lights

I'm looking to convert all the original rod and storage box lighting to LED on my '99 Champ 221. I like the idea of having a built in switch on each light like the originals, but will probably just wire the new lights to a switch at the console. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Check the bass cat store website. they have lights with individual switches and LED lights you can wire all together to a switch at the helm.

3. Member
    I replaced the incandescent festoon bulb with an LED festoon bulb of the same size that is inside the light fixture. If your boat has the same lights as my 95 202, the light can be removed and disassembled. It is much brighter than the original at a fraction of the cost to replace the entire light. I have also replaced my navigation lights with LED bulbs instead of buying new navigation lights. Might give it a try.

4. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hoos202 View Post
    I replaced the incandescent festoon bulb with an LED festoon bulb of the same size that is inside the light fixture. If your boat has the same lights as my 95 202, the light can be removed and disassembled. It is much brighter than the original at a fraction of the cost to replace the entire light. I have also replaced my navigation lights with LED bulbs instead of buying new navigation lights. Might give it a try.
    This is what I did as well.

20200613_171428.jpg

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SJSharky00 View Post
    Check the bass cat store website. they have lights with individual switches and LED lights you can wire all together to a switch at the helm.
    Thank you. I tried the courtesy lights with the built in switch from Bass Cat but they weren't the direct replacement I was hoping for. The Rigid Industries on their site look really good but just expensive. Is this what you're referring to? https://basscatstore.com/rigidindust...ghtingkit.aspx

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoos202 View Post
    Great idea. I need to look into that. Mine has some dull bulbs in there now; some LED bulbs might work great. I'm not sure I've heard of the LED festoon bulb but I'll look them up.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    This is what I did as well.

20200613_171428.jpg
    That's perfect! Thanks for the picture. Those are the same lights I have. I'll try that route first... do you have a link or part number for those LEDs that you could forward?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress27 View Post
    That's perfect! Thanks for the picture. Those are the same lights I have. I'll try that route first... do you have a link or part number for those LEDs that you could forward?
    I see in the pic that the bulb is a 36mm so I just went online and ordered something similar. Thank you again for the reference; looks like a great solution.

9. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress27 View Post
    I see in the pic that the bulb is a 36mm so I just went online and ordered something similar. Thank you again for the reference; looks like a great solution.
    They don't really light up the world, but are a lot brighter than the original incandescent.