Cool Plastic trim vs. Chrome trim question

Back in the BCB would trim out the console and carpet edges with chrome metal trim and it has now changes to a rubber/plastic material. Just curious as to why the change? I'm thinking EPA and chroming costs are stupid ridiculously expensive is the reasoning. That chrome trim sure was nice :)

It was started with aluminum in the 1970’s first models and went through the 1990’s in some aspects. In the 2000’s era they had more request for a less dated look. The aluminum trim is nice, though it’s aged also. Todays plastic and shrouded dash assemblies had them going for a more common color theme.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    It was started with aluminum in the 1970’s first models and went through the 1990’s in some aspects. In the 2000’s era they had more request for a less dated look. The aluminum trim is nice, though it’s aged also. Todays plastic and shrouded dash assemblies had them going for a more common color theme.
    insomnia?? 103 am!! you got boats to build!! lots of them!!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    Chrome plating? Solid chrome metal? Sounds expensive, Chromium is plated over ferric or many other metals and on older cars and trucks it flakes and crumbles when the support metal rusts, but not so, as far as I've seen on Basscat boats. Maybe it's stainless steel instead.

5. Member
    Thank you BCB for your response. It is valued.

Whatever the material was/is I'm not sure it is a "dated" and "aged" item. If so we could use the same analogy with the chromed latches, vents and hinges for the removeable lids. IMHO it looks cheap and corner cutting when you look at all the other fine product used on a BCB boat.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 keepers View Post
    Thank you BCB for your response. It is valued.

Whatever the material was/is I'm not sure it is a "dated" and "aged" item. If so we could use the same analogy with the chromed latches, vents and hinges for the removeable lids. IMHO it looks cheap and corner cutting when you look at all the other fine product used on a BCB boat.
    I disagree. I think it's aged. But that's just my opinion. And you know what they say about opinions.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jp71291 View Post
    I disagree. I think it's aged. But that's just my opinion. And you know what they say about opinions.
    LOL...yup...just like mine! bwahahahaha!