Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    still waiting for the call from the updating center in Mesa az, been a month now

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    How would you install an update? Service center?
    Like any other piece of electronics that is updateable. Connect a laptop/tablet/phone to it and install the latest firmware.

Just like updating your graphs, gopro, smart devices.

They must have had a lot of confidence in their software to not put it on addressable NVRAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    Like any other piece of electronics that is updateable. Connect a laptop/tablet/phone to it and install the latest firmware.

Just like updating your graphs, gopro, smart devices.

They must have had a lot of confidence in their software to not put it on addressable NVRAM.
    I meant without USB or BT, how do you connect to it to install a firmware update?
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

4. Banned
    I meant without USB or BT, how do you connect to it to install a firmware update?
    You don't. You replace the main board that has the permanently written software on it.

It literally costs pennies to add USB or BT to anything. A USB controller chip, bought in bulk, can be had for under $1. Same with a BT module. Not sure why MG skimped here.

Come to think of it. I don't think the MK, Garmin or Lowrance have USB on theirs either.

Just me being the nerdy IT person I am.

5. Member
    You don't. You replace the main board that has the permanently written software on it.

It literally costs pennies to add USB or BT to anything. A USB controller chip, bought in bulk, can be had for under $1. Same with a BT module. Not sure why MG skimped here.

Come to think of it. I don't think the MK, Garmin or Lowrance have USB on theirs either.

Just me being the nerdy IT person I am.
    The MinnKota Ultrex has Bluetooth for software updates.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen View Post
    The MinnKota Ultrex has Bluetooth for software updates.
    Well, at least one company is forward looking.

7. Member

Question tour pro recall

Well, at least one company is forward looking.
    still waiting for the call from the updater. almost 6 weeks now, talked to motorguide customer service, they said the mother board was in stock, could not get the updater to call motorguide.

8. Member
    Finally got motorguide tour pro updated. have to recalibrate it on the water. had to restalll it on the boat. waiting for a warmer day.

After recall got boat on the water to recalibrate. With the new card it is doing what the old was recalled for. It goes crazy on spot lock. Disappointing because it worked great with original card.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 176mag View Post
    After recall got boat on the water to recalibrate. With the new card it is doing what the old was recalled for. It goes crazy on spot lock. Disappointing because it worked great with original card.
    Whoa.....this alarming to me because the new card is suppose to fix this exact situation. Let me ask....did you preform both calibrations with the new circuit board? (Compass calibration & alignment calibration?) My dealer is going to replace my board after Xmas....as it finally came in. My unit, like yours has performed flawless with the old board so I'm rethinking the situation based on your input. Do you any additional thoughts? Has anyone else out there seen this problem?

11. Banned
    I would do the compass calibration at least 3 times as slow as your main motor will allow.

I did both calibrations 3 times. When stowing the motor, it tries to turn away from the direction I'm trying to stow. Spot lock goes all over the place. course track goes about twenty yards and make a 90-degree right hand turn.

Wow, I've got a serious case of buyer's remorse.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by 176mag View Post
    I did both calibrations 3 times. When stowing the motor, it tries to turn away from the direction I'm trying to stow. Spot lock goes all over the place. course track goes about twenty yards and make a 90-degree right hand turn.
    Mark, thanks for reporting your results and please post any further info you may have. That is, have you tried it again? Contacted MG support? I've got mine in for the board replacement and I'm strongly considering going to get it before they replace the board as I did not have any significant GPS/Anchor Mode problems with the old board. Any updates would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    Wow, I've got a serious case of buyer's remorse.
    Based on 176mags’ experience after the updated L revision install, so am I. Just got mine in November, and got it mounted. Yet to be able to put it on the water to set it up. Let’s hope his is an isolated incident.
    Just like the issues with the original K boards it takes months for enough reported incidents to trickle in to MG to a point where they think it’s an issue that warrants a recall. It would take a special level of widespread incompetence on MG’s (and Mercury’s) part to take so long to address the original K board issues only to replace it with another defective L board. It will sink their sales, and leave a lot of current owners with a TM they can’t trust.
    Just got hope they get it figured out.
    Last edited by RazorCat; 12-20-2021 at 12:34 PM.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Based on your experience after the updated L revision install, so am I. Just got mine in November, and got it mounted. Yet to be able to put it on the water to set it up. Let’s hope yours is an isolated incident. Just like the issues with the original K boards it takes months for enough reported incidents to trickle in to MG to a point where they think it’s an issue that warrants a recall. It would take a special level of widespread incompetence on MG’s (and Mercury’s) part to take so long to address the original K board issues only to replace it with another defective L board. It will sink their sales, and leave a lot of current owners with a TM they can’t trust.
    Just got hope they get it figured out.
    I agree with everything you said except I'm not the one that has had his upgraded with the new L board. It's 176mag. I bought mine in Jan 2021 and used it from April to December. I had a few isolated issues with the GPS/anchor mode but nothing serious or longterm. For that reason, I'm very hesitant to get mine updated based on what several including 176mag have reported.

I would add to your comments that is was more than likely the Federal Safety Recall that got MG off their asses.
    Last edited by Macsimus; 12-20-2021 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    I agree with everything you said except I'm not the one that has had his upgraded with the new L board. It's 176mag. I bought mine in Jan 2021 and used it from April to December. I had a few isolated issues with the GPS/anchor mode but nothing serious or longterm. For that reason, I'm very hesitant to get mine updated based on what several including 176mag have reported.

I would add to your comments that is was more than likely the Federal Safety Recall that got MG off their asses.
    I went back and revised my post. My bad.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Talked to the repair center this morning going to replace board again. It will be after first of year with my work schedule and them being closed for the holidays. I bought mine in Mar 2021 used all year without a minutes issue until I got the board changed. Hope to get issues resolved because I really like the Trolling Motor.

19. Member
    Used mine from April and through last week. Absolutely no issues other than a
    screw falling out of the anchor down stem/ lever. Really a poor design and cheap plastic parts in the foot pedal. A letter will be going out to MG shortly. The design of the switch and lever arm is not very robust......doubtful at best in my opinion for the long haul. The new circuit board just arrived at my dealer and based on the above input not sure what my options are or what I will do. Just not a fan of indecision and crap shoots! MG needs to do better and hoping that someone from their organization watches this board.

20. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I was tossing around the idea of getting rid of my Ultrex and going with a the MG but guess i'll wait this out.......
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast