Mercury 150 V6 Black Max Ser# 06617258

I have a 85 Ranger 370V with a Mercury 150 V6 Black Max Ser# 06617258 (I was told to add a 0 before the 6) three 2 bbl carbs. Is this motor a V-150, V-150-XR-2 or ?

I live in Southern California. I've owned the boat for 12 yrs & I use it 5-20 times a year, but haven't used it for the last 2 years.

Oil injection is removed, so I premix it. I (always) added Quicksilver Quickstor and Quickleen to the gas when I last ran it 2 years ago. I have 1/2 tank full in both tanks. Would the gas be okay to run or should I remove it and fill with fresh gas?

I replaced the Poppet valve aprox 5 years ago. Should I replace the thermostats?

I'm going to replace the water pump with a complete water pump kit, replace the lower unit oil, spark plugs, fuel filter / water sep. Any other suggestions?
    Thank you for your time.

2. Member
    Definitely replace the gas. I wouldn’t replace poppet unless it seems to cause a problem. Thermostats are probably ok but they are also cheap, so either way.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Member
    Mercury serial numbers are formatted, digit, letter, 6 digits, so yours is most likely 0G617258.

I'd drain every drop of fuel and start with fresh fuel properly treated with Quickleen and Quickare or Quickstor.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    V150 2.0L

Definitely start with FRESH fuel, and if that engine doesn't run properly when you get done, SHUT IT DOWN.

Remember: Any FUEL Delivery Problem (restricted carb jets, for example) is ALSO AN OIL DELIVERY PROBLEM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Would it be a good idea to pull the carb jets (main fuel jet & plug, idle air bleed jet and vent bowl jet main) and clean them just to be on the safe side?

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    After 2 years, I would be inclined to pull the carbs and go completely through them. Good choice on the additives, but by this time I would expect significant degredation (and possibly congealing), regardless.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    I,m new here. Thanks for any future help. My son started high school bass fishing (so far the winnings from the tournaments have almost paid for most of the fixes to the motor, nothing big)so we purchased a 1988 Bass Tracker tournament 1800FS with what is labeled with Mercury 150 Black Max, serial b289160. I am having inconsistencies in what the motor model is, such as is it just a 150 or is it a 150 XR4, are there any characteristics of the motor that i can look at that will help me identify it better? This would greatly help in figuring things out when i am working on it. Its running cold, will no warm up at an idle or while running through all RPM ranges.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    0B289160 is a 150 (2.0L) carb-model engine, Model# 1150412BD, and born on 11/09/1987.

Hope that helps.

9. Member
    Thanks you for the information. Any suggestion what RPM should I shoot for with this Merc? What should the idle and WOT timing be set at? I will be removing the idle speed control assembly.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would have to order a manual for that one- don't have many of the earlier/archive manuals left hanging around here.

As I recall- 5750 RPM's, 4ATDC @ idle (0-8 ATDC) and 18 BTDC @ WOT. Recommend that be checked in a manual, though.

11. Member
    Don you said,
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    After 2 years, I would be inclined to pull the carbs and go completely through them. Good choice on the additives, but by this time I would expect significant degredation (and possibly congealing), regardless.
    Do you have a carb kit or something like it of the parts I'd need to go through the carbs?

Thanks again

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Sure- you can buy gasket sets, needles, or rebuild kits. Simply visit our website (with your serial number and carb model number) to order parts:

www.mercurypartsonline.net