Boat Trailer Fender Carpet

My boat trailer has carpet on the inward side of the fenders. Has anyone ever had to replace theirs? I am looking for the "best" adhesive. From what I have read, you are supposed to let the glue dry for quite awhile. I don't know how I am going to do this. You have to take to boat off of the trailer to do this work. I could take the boat/trailer to my BIL's neighborhood boat launch and park it while I am doing the work but I can't leave the boat out there overnight.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Be safe,
    Rayzor

2001 Triton Tx-21
    2001 Mercury 225 EFI

Contact bond. Just make sure it's where you want it before you let it touch.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2018 Yamaha F90
    Garmin Ultra 106sv bow/console
    Ionic lithium batteries

3. Member
    Unload the boat, remove the panels and carefully load the boat and go home to replace the carpet. Repeat once you are ready to re-attach the panels

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassdge View Post
    Unload the boat, remove the panels and carefully load the boat and go home to replace the carpet. Repeat once you are ready to re-attach the panels
    On this trailer, the fenders don't have inner panels. The entire fender is fiberglass. When these trailers are first built, the carpet is put on, then the fenders are installed on the trailer. I have either got to find an adhesive that doesn't need 24 to 48 hours to cure or leave the boat in a stall for 2 days.
    Be safe,
    Rayzor

2001 Triton Tx-21
    2001 Mercury 225 EFI

5. Member
    I have used Dap Weldwood contact cement (interior/exterior) in the past and it works great.

Clean the fender, apply a coat to the fender and the back side of the carpet. Wait about 15-30 minutes (until tacky) and carefully lay the carpet into position.

Be careful when you install the carpet, the bond is instant and is incredibly hard to remove. I suggest that you have a helper to line up the carpet. Good Luck!