Meat grinder and sausage stuffing

I am looking to get setup with a grinder, mixer and stuffer. I want something that is good quality and will last awhile. Preferrably made in USA but I know that’s asking a lot. I have checked out the MEAT! stuff and it comes highly recommended/advertised on several hunting channels I frequent. What do you guys use? I am also not opposed to a manual style to use if I don’t have access to electricity.

2. Member
    Most powerful as you can afford. IMO LEM sold by Bass Pro is hard to beat.

3. Member

4. Member
    Another vote for LEM products.
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C
    250 Merc Optimax Pro XS (S# 2B113454)
    25P Fury - 4 blade all holes open

5. Member
    I have a Carnivore from Cabela's/Basspro and their 5# stuffer. No issues and works great for me.

6. Member
    I do alot of venison summer sausage and ring bologna. My buddy wanted to try stuffing via the grinder with a stuffing tube attachment. My personal opinion was the grinder pulverized the meat into a fine hotdog like texture. He bought a stand alone stuffer now, much better, or would I say...coarser grind.

7. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidAnderson View Post
    I do alot of venison summer sausage and ring bologna. My buddy wanted to try stuffing via the grinder with a stuffing tube attachment. My personal opinion was the grinder pulverized the meat into a fine hotdog like texture. He bought a stand alone stuffer now, much better, or would I say...coarser grind.
    What grinder do you use and do you use a mixer or just do it by hand?

Back when we did it we had butcher shop quality grinder and stuffer but they were both manual.
    We we’re doing 2-3 deer at a time and we manually mixed in a galvanized wash tub.
    That alone will wear you out.
    I definitely suggest a motorized grinder but a manual stuffer.

9. Member
    I use a 1 hp lem grinder with a # 22 head paired with 21lb Hakka stuffer and can do anything you throw at it!

10. Member
    I picked up a couple of hand grinders with the handle you turn. It would be according to how much grinding you plan to do as to which machine you need and I do very little.

I’ve been using a 1000 watt grinder from Northern Tool for almost 20 years. I grind and stuff at the same time. Pork butts were $.98/lb yesterday so I cut up and mixed 30# this morning. Will make Polish sausage tomorrow. I do maybe 100-150# a year.

12. Member
    I use a LEM Grinder and the LEM separate sausage stuffer work sell for me

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

We use the biggest LEM grinder, mixer and stuffer and couldn't be more pleased. We just double ground, mixed and stuffed 180lbs of meat on Saturday in less than 3 hours.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post
    What grinder do you use and do you use a mixer or just do it by hand?
    Sorry for the delayed response...deer hunting, getting ready for Ice Fishing! I use an older Cabela's LEM style grinder, #12 and I have a 25# Cabela's hand crank meat mixer and generally only did 12.5 lbs at a time (25# of summer sausage, 2 batches) This fall I bought a Cabela's 50# meat mixer that will attach to my grinder. Years ago we used to mix the meat by hand, worked ok but a lot of work. We always used 50/50 venison to 80% lean pork trimmings.

15. Member
    Great information on grinders from the above posts and thanks. I never knew those things were that expensive. My lifelong friend just informed me that people were taking the motors off old washing machines and transferring them onto a handle grinder. I found that interesting and innovative even though I realize most people don't want to go to all that trouble but wanted to share.