Thread: pro tec

pro tec

is the pro tec nu paint moisturizer a cutting agent ??? if so cool . if not could I get suggestions of a product that is ??? Top cap is beginning to show a slight hazing and I really dont think its any where near needing a sanding ... thanks guys

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omykee View Post
    is the pro tec nu paint moisturizer a cutting agent ??? if so cool . if not could I get suggestions of a product that is ??? Top cap is beginning to show a slight hazing and I really dont think its any where near needing a sanding ... thanks guys
    no the moisturizer is not a cutting agent. Use clean water with dish soap as a a lubricant and to help keep the sand paper clean. The sand paper is your cutting agent. 800 then 1200, then 2000. Then use the moisturizer. Then buff. Then use their top coat.

they have some funky yet informative videos on you tube.

dont over think the process!

It is a cutting agent. I’ve tried this product in my shop and it buffs out like a 3000 grit compound. Sorry but the info above in not correct. Even the grit info is questionable as every boat will require a different approach. I touch around 100 a year and I promise you there’re all somewhat different. You can’t start every boat with 800 or finish every boat with 2000….
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

4. tackle junkie
    What is the best compounding product in your opinion? 3M high gloss or something else? Looking at options right now

I use 3M Compound and Finishing Material. Not saying it’s the best but with a wool pad it will go get an 800 scratch on “most” gel but will finish out on “some” gels with one pass….use it with a foam cutting pad and in “most” cases no other products are needed to finish out. I just used it on a friends brand new 85K black vette than I color sanded for a friend to flatten out the paint. Of course on paint I had to finish up with 3M 2 and 3 and a DA.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com