Humminbird Transducer Issues - Need Help

I've had issues with my depth reading being intermittent and 2d sonar since I've had this boat. It's a 2020 CX21 (purchased as new in April 2021 dealer demo). The depth will not read accurately MOST of the time and will just say "1.9". Can anyone else that uses birds show me where your transducer is mounted? I'm using a HELIX CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G3N and the transducer is part #710282-1. Thank you!

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DBolton View Post
    I've had issues with my depth reading being intermittent and 2d sonar since I've had this boat. It's a 2020 CX21 (purchased as new in April 2021 dealer demo). The depth will not read accurately MOST of the time and will just say "1.9". Can anyone else that uses birds show me where your transducer is mounted? I'm using a HELIX CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G3N and the transducer is part #710282-1. Thank you!
    Doesn't Caymas install a shoot through hull 2D transducer and y-cable? If it's your console unit, maybe try bypassing the y-cable and connect the external Mega SI+ transducer directly to your Helix and see what happens...

Quote Originally Posted by BOWILLIAMS View Post
    Doesn't Caymas install a shoot through hull 2D transducer and y-cable? If it's your console unit, maybe try bypassing the y-cable and connect the external Mega SI+ transducer directly to your Helix and see what happens...
    I'm not sure I think this was rigged by the dealer. Why would they use a thru Hull when there's an all in one?

It sounds like the wrong transducer is selected, or the wrong Y cable, or wrong 2d puck in the bilge. There were big changes from Gen2 to Gen3 Helix units so it is possible the riggers used incompatible parts.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Quote Originally Posted by DBolton View Post
    I'm not sure I think this was rigged by the dealer. Why would they use a thru Hull when there's an all in one?
    Because the large all in one can be damaged by debris in the water. It is also heavy and causes drag and can rip off at planing speed if not mounted very securely. A 2d puck in the bilge gives great depth reading while on plane and is protected. This allows the big (and expensive) transducer to be mounted so that it is out of the water when on plane. 99% of bass boats are rigged this way.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    Because the large all in one can be damaged by debris in the water. It is also heavy and causes drag and can rip off at planing speed if not mounted very securely. A 2d puck in the bilge gives great depth reading while on plane and is protected. This allows the big (and expensive) transducer to be mounted so that it is out of the water when on plane. 99% of bass boats are rigged this way.
    That makes sense. My previous boat was rigged that way. It appears that I'm in the 1% without a thru hull in this boat however. I don't see one in the bilge area and the only option in my network is the single transducer for 2d/down/side.

7. Member
    My boat -2021 cx21- same way. I ve been waiting months for dealer to fix- hasn’t since I bought new and dammit I’m not working on it. Anyway I’m using external SI ducer for now. My buddies boat ordered and delivered same time mine was- apparently puck was “ bondo ‘ed in and had broke loose” per dealer. He sanded it down and epoxied it for the fix

I just got off the water and it worked fine the entire time. I did update software in my unit as it was very dated. Still need to update again to 2.66. Not sure if that helped but I guess it didn't hurt. Dealer is over an hour away but I guess I'll just have to call and see if I can get a time to bring it by. Very frustrating on a boat of this caliber!