A60 Surge Actuator replacing // Brakes disconnected

Just replaced my full UFP A60 Ranger Trail exclusive actuator and keeping the hydraulic surge brakes disconnected for a time.. Will it hurt to still pull the boat locally for awhile before hooking up, bleeding the system, and running? The electric solenoid will be connected.

Thanks
    Dave
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    You need your brake lines sealed both on the actuator and the boat to keep them from being contaminated.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Roger.. master cylinder has a plug and the brake lines are being replace along with the disc brake calibers
    Last edited by CigarBasser; 10-30-2021 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Correction.

4. Member
    The electric solenoid isn’t necessary if you’re brake lines aren’t connected to your master cylinder.

Either way, I’m not sure if I would do what you’re suggesting because I feel like it will put a long of stress on the shock absorber in the actuator. If there’s no fluid in the master cylinder to take some of the load when braking, it’ll all go into the shock absorber. And if there is fluid in the master cylinder, but it’s plugged, it might blow the plug out and spew brake fluid everywhere.

Bleeding the brake lines is actually really easy and can be done in an hour. I just did mine last night with a little help from the wife, but could have definitely done it by myself too.

Edit: If you have to tow without the brakes hooked up, I would use a lockout key to keep the actuator from moving at all. And be very gentle on the braking.

What’s this lockout key you speak of?

My current brake lines and calipers are contaminated and will be replaced soon..

Was hoping I could still pull her on short trips till replaced..

Even if you don’t have the lockout key you can get a nut the size it fits in the slot behind the pin and duck tape it in place for temporary fix. You can always gimme a buzz. I’ll try to help you through.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

2018 Nitro Z18 w/175 HP Merc ProXs
    16ft Monark - all Electric (70#bow, 2x45# stern)

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CigarBasser View Post
    What’s this lockout key you speak of?

My current brake lines and calipers are contaminated and will be replaced soon..

Was hoping I could still pull her on short trips till replaced..
    I’m not familiar with how different the Ranger A60 is compared to the regular A60, but on the regular A60 there is a slot on the side of the tongue that the actuator slides back and forth in. A lockout key, or like mentioned above, a nut of the right size, goes into the back of this slot behind the front actuator pin to keep the actuator from sliding back and engaging the master cylinder. You can buy a magnetic one on Amazon that will stay in, or you can tape a nut in there to keep it in place.

Gents, thanks for all the data.. Have two different lockout mechanisms ordered. I also have a brake lockout cap on the actuator I need to investigate further.. If none of these work I have plenty of duct tape and washers.. Thanks again!

10. Member
    I know someone that had the same situation, he drilled a convenient hole and out a nut and a bolt through it so the tongue doesn't move. I'm... I mean he likes duct tape but trusts a steel bolt a lot more.