2022 Z19 updated performance report

Hi all. This is an addition to a previous post regarding my boat performance.

2022 Z19 w/ 200 merc pro XS #3B099541, dual console and no power poles
    prop to pad 3.5”
    23p Mercury fury prop
    215# me & 130# girlfriend
    tourney load
    1.85 gear ratio lower unit

@ 3800’ elevation with the 23p fury with vent holes solid plugged. I was hitting 5480 RPM and 63 mph and a little bit chine walk.
    jumped out of the hole like a rocket and acceleration is crazy fast.

All same except I was by myself- I switched to a 21p tempest plus with large hole vent plugs. I’m now getting 6200 RPM and once I hit 61-62 mph it starts chine walking pretty good. It has a bit more speed but have to learn how to handle the walk.
    hole shot was still good but acceleration seemed a bit sluggish compared to the 23 pitch

i plan to plug vent holes solid and see if that makes a difference.

Overall- I love the boat. It’s laid out very well for fishing and has already had some big fish on the deck. I was in some big 4-5’ rollers and the boat handled extremely well given the waves.

2. Member
    You are getting it figured out! My 2021 Z19 similarly configured. 1000' +- elevation. 3.5 PTP, 23p Fury no plugs. Hole shot and acceleration is amazing. 1/2 tank fuel, just me (180) in the boat 68 mph at around 5850, a little chine walk, could probably tweak it and get a little more. With a partner, (+230) 65-66 mph at 5580-5600, cruise with one hand on the wheel. On hot days a little less, cooler days a little more. Mine has a tendency to porpoise cruising between 40-50 mph if I trim too much. I may try lowering the motor 1/4-1/2 inch to see if that makes a difference. I am very happy with it, I seldom run flat out.
    CMSGT, USAF, Retired
    2021 Nitro Z19, Mercury 200 Pro XS 4 Stroke, SN 2B789775

Ultrex 80/45 24v, Helix 8 G3N SI+. Helix 10 G4N DI+, Helix 3GN DI

3. Member
    Mine will porpoise as well if I trim it up too much at slower speeds. I’m surprised you are running no plugs. Everything I’ve read says to plug the holes on the 4 strokes. I’m like you in that I rarely will run wide open but want to get it dialed in. I may have to move some weight around to try and resolve the chine walk? Not sure. I am sure I don’t like it walking. Lol

4. Member
    I did see somewhere and got me thinking. Maybe these Z19's are a little heavy in the rear end. I think maybe getting lithium batteries could help chime walking. I don't have the money for them now but when I can I am gonna see if that might be true. Matbe someone on here has them and may be able to answer that.
    2019 Nitro Z19
    200 HP Mercury Pro XS 4s

5. Member
    I was actually thinking the opposite, heavy in the front, since they have a tendency to porpoise at mid speeds. Depends on how the boat is loaded I'm sure. I know they went from an 8" to a 10" jack-plate in 2021, giving more leverage to lift.
    CMSGT, USAF, Retired

6. Member
    I seen a youtube video where the guy said that lithium batteries took the walking out of his boat. I do have a lot of tackle but I think a little less weight in the back might be a good thing. I have a 4 batteries in my boat.
    2019 Nitro Z19
    200 HP Mercury Pro XS 4s

7. Member
    If you run your boat with1/4 tank of fuel that should reduce rear weight to simulate the weight loss of lithium battery setup.
    also for porpoise issues lighten up the front end.
    do some testing

8. Member
    My experience has been very similar to Pat, just not quite getting the same speed. I do keep the boat packed with tackle, and generally over half a tank of fuel. Im pretty much maxed out @ 65-66mph. Chine walk starts at around 63 - 64 mph and generally begins by falling off to the right. A quick and properly timed correction to the left stops the walk for a moment or two. I try to keep heavy tackle in the port rear compartment (terminal, jigs, heavy plastics, etc), light stuff up front. I have found that when running solo, keeping the livewells full helps with chine walk. Having a co-angler helps even more. Also running @ 3.5" ptp, no plugs in the fury 23. Dont really have a proposing problem unless I'm way over trimmed. My boat came with ptp set at approx 4.75". Frankly, I'm not sure that I actually gained any performance by raising the motor, just a bigger rooster tail at times. Planning to drop the motor to 4"ptp and see if I can tell any difference...

Congrats on the new boat!!!
    Ted
    2021 Z19 Pro

9. Member
    Thanks is for the input Ted. Also please let us know what lowering your PTP does to your overall performance. I was also thinking of lowering mine to 4”

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steinybass View Post
    I did see somewhere and got me thinking. Maybe these Z19's are a little heavy in the rear end. I think maybe getting lithium batteries could help chime walking. I don't have the money for them now but when I can I am gonna see if that might be true. Matbe someone on here has them and may be able to answer that.
    I replaced the 2 factory trolling motor agm’s with lithium’s & it didn’t effect the chime walk nor did it gain me any noticeable difference in speed.

11. Member
    these new hulls are very sensitive to trim and like the motors in the water especially the fury. I have hydraulic plate my sweet spot is 3.75 below pad. hope this helps

12. Member
    Thanks PanteraDustin that will save me some money then. I don't have a problem running my trolling motor batteries dead. Its the cranking battery that I have had die on me twice both in derbys where i have had livewells running all day. And I didn't do much running which I have and to use my perko switch to start.
    2019 Nitro Z19
    200 HP Mercury Pro XS 4s

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steinybass View Post
    Thanks PanteraDustin that will save me some money then. I don't have a problem running my trolling motor batteries dead. Its the cranking battery that I have had die on me twice both in derbys where i have had livewells running all day. And I didn't do much running which I have and to use my perko switch to start.
    I have had that problem too! Had the first Interstate AGM 31 replaced under warranty, now about 6 months later it did it again, and I was using the live wells lightly. The dealer blames my Humminbird graphs (2 8s and a 10), says they are power hogs. Amp draw on the Humminbirds is a combined 4.7 amps so I call BS on that. If it continues to give me problems I will likely replace it myself with another brand of battery. I have read about a lot of problems with the Interstate 31 AGMs. I know it is under warranty, but that does not help when I am out on the lake and it fails.
    CMSGT, USAF, Retired

14. Member
    Hey Pat. Size AGM interstate are they giving you. I recently noticed they sent me from the dealership with a 925cca. It worked fine but maybe I should tell them I want the 975cca that Mercury/nitro specify.

15. Member
    Do you charge your battery with the perko battery switch in the off position? Also are your graphs updated? I know Humminbird did an update to the helix and one thing I seen on the list of fixes was that when the graphs were in standby they were actually still on and drawing power. I put my graphs on stand by because I know they draw a good amount. The only time I had the problem was in the 2 derbies I fished in late October which had cool temps. Don't know if that had any effect on that or not.
    2019 Nitro Z19
    200 HP Mercury Pro XS 4s

16. Member
    Jetch114 good question I am not even sure what size I have in mine. I will have to look at that myself.
    2019 Nitro Z19
    200 HP Mercury Pro XS 4s

17. Member
    My cranking battery is an Interstate group 31 AGM with 1000 CCA. That is the minimum required for the Mercury 4 Stroke V8s. I have begun turning my Perko Switch off when charging. That said, it does not turn off the connection to the outboard. So if the outboard computer has a continuous draw, though it should not be much, that could pull the battery down over time. I keep my Norco Genius plugged in all the time when the boat is home, so even if the motor draws some current, the charger should restore it..
    CMSGT, USAF, Retired

18. Member
    Actually I believe 975cca is the minimum that Mercury suggests for the 200. I’m not sure how much difference 25 or 50 cranking Amps makes? As I said mine is 925 and I havnt had any issues. With that said I havnt run my live wells that much because I turn most my fish loose.