Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Scraps

Had a Tire Let Go

2017 trailer, picked up July 2016. Goodyear Marathon's.

Went out twice in two weeks. First trip I detected a slight bit of vibration on the road. Was unsure if it was the truck or trailer. Following week I went out again. On the Interstate felt the definite vibration and pulled over and took a look. Nothing I could see with the eye. About 10 miles later there was no denying, had a flat on the starboard side, forward tire. The tire was so shredded there was no way of telling if it was a bad belt. There were no signs of cracks or anything like that on the tire walls as I'd experienced with Endurance tires on my RangerTrail years ago. But I never had a tire come apart like this before.

So I guess what I'm saying, if you "feel" something isn't quite right - trust your gut.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

2. Member
    Mine went without warning and took fender, lights and wiring. Tire was under three years old.

3. Member
    These days 2-3 years is about all they last.

4. Member
    Marathons are always a time bomb. Goodyear Endurance D load range are the way to go.

5. Smallmouth Junkie!
    Quote Originally Posted by 201pro View Post
    Marathons are always a time bomb. Goodyear Endurance D load range are the way to go.
    Agreed! All I will put on.
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

6. Member
    Michelin’s … best tire on the road!
    Richard Viehe
    CRV Communications, Inc, President
    Authorized Bluewater LED Dealer
    Indpls., IN

Career Firefighter/Paramedic, Retired
    Carmel FD, IN

2020 Phoenix 21 PHX
    4 Stroke 250 Pro XS
    Console: Humminbird 12” Solix MSI G3, Garmin 126sv
    Bow: Humminbird 12” MEGA SI, Mega360, Garmin 122sv
    Livescope LVS34
    36V Ghost
    Dual 8' Blade Power Poles

7. Member
    If you had a vibration, you more than likely had a belt seperating. Good luck trying to find endurances right now. My Goodyear store didn't have any. I was able to find some at discount tire though.
    Phoenix 919/Sho 225/solix 15s/ultrex/blades

8. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinStick View Post
    If you had a vibration, you more than likely had a belt seperating. Good luck trying to find endurances right now. My Goodyear store didn't have any. I was able to find some at discount tire though.
    Very true. I gave up and just bought a cheapy spare from Mavis. But showed up for mounting and found out "nobody showed up for work today" so had to run around to find some place that could mount a 14in tire. Unbelieveable.
    2017 Phoenix 819

9. Member
    Had almost the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago. My trailer is also a 2017. Comping back from a tournament got on the interstate and noticed a vibration at different speeds as i got to my exit it was just continuous. I stop and all tires still had air in them and no leaks so i assumed one had got out of balance some how. Made it home checked them again all still had air. Next weekend comes i pull out of the drive way and blow a tire about 1 mile from the house. Ended up being a bad belt in a tire so i replaced all 4.
    2017 Phoenix 921 PHX - 250 ProXS
    Mathew 6:34

10. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I still have the original Goodyear on my 2014 trailer......up to this point i havent had any issues but i'd say i probably dont travel as much as most do.....its always in the back of my mind about these tires blowing, guess i'm just lucky up to this point.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

11. Member
    They recommend replacing at the 5 year mark from the born on date stamped on the side of the tire. I bought a new Legend in 2017, got it home and found the born on date for the tires was 2014. So you should always check this date on the tires when buying a boat even if it is a new one.

12. Member
    Ya, I bought some flares at a local store and they had already expired, gotta check everything these days. At least the flares I bought on Amazon were very fresh.
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

13. Member
    I had good luck replacing with Maxxis tires.

14. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by bassm1n View Post
    They recommend replacing at the 5 year mark from the born on date stamped on the side of the tire. I bought a new Legend in 2017, got it home and found the born on date for the tires was 2014. So you should always check this date on the tires when buying a boat even if it is a new one.
    Was wondering if this could be the start of a chain reaction.
    2017 Phoenix 819

15. Member
    Mines a 15 I live in Illinois pull mine too Florida one or twice a year no problem. Had a champion 10 years no problems had lot of miles on the champion

16. Member
    You were lucky. I change my trailer tires out at 3 years, cheap insurance versus a blow out.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hookedup2 View Post
    You were lucky. I change my trailer tires out at 3 years, cheap insurance versus a blow out.
    Spent 5 years working for a defense contractor. Bounced back and forth between the middle east and Yuma. I laugh when people here it Texas complain about the heat.

18. Member
    Yes indeed. I went to replace my 5 year old tires that looked great and were only maybe half worn. Everything on the shelf that was a D Load was a few years or more old - NOPE!!! I always look at the born date, even for my vehicles. My local family owned tire shop got on the phone and was able to get me tires that were only 2 - 3 months old, and I had them in less than a week. Regardless of condition trailer tires should be replaced every 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by bassm1n View Post

I also have a 2017 trailer.... In 2019, I had a marathon blow out, bending the fender and breaking the brake line. I put all new tires on the trailer, matching the marathons. Then most recently (FY 2021) I had two of the marathon's blow out on a 45 mile trip to the dealer. First one I changed, 2nd one cost a bundle given the mobile truck charge, new tire, etc.... On the way back from the dealer, I stopped by a tire shop and replaced the remaining 4 tires with D load tires and a different brand!

20. Member
    what brand??
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast