Thread: Fuel Additives

Fuel Additives

What are y’all adding to your fuel? I just got through the break in period on my new SHO. I’ve been adding a little bit of Star Tron for whenever it sits more than a couple weeks, or if I use any ethanol blended fuel. What about the ring free? I heard it’s best to wait until it gets 20 hours or so before it’s really needed?

Also, what’s the longest you feel comfortable letting your boat sit without running it? Last time I ran mine was 2 weeks ago and it won’t be run again for another 3 weeks. Last fuel I used was ethanol blended fuel as it was the only option at the time. I did use Star Tron, but don’t like the idea of ethanol fuel sitting in my boat for 5 weeks without being ran.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

2. Member
    Yamaha ring free and mid grade ethanol free fuel for my 250 SHO.
    Mine can sit for a few weeks at a time during the winter, but I am fortunate that I have several sources of ethanol free fuel, so no worries for me on that.

Be sure to keep the oil checked to make sure you aren't getting any gas blow by the rings into the oil (making oil). If so, let it warm up and run at WOT, getting temp to 140 or so for 30 minutes, fish for 30 minutes to allow for cool down, and then repeat.

3. Member
    My suggestion is to ask the dealer what they recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    Yamaha ring free and mid grade ethanol free fuel for my 250 SHO.
    Mine can sit for a few weeks at a time during the winter, but I am fortunate that I have several sources of ethanol free fuel, so no worries for me on that.

Be sure to keep the oil checked to make sure you aren't getting any gas blow by the rings into the oil (making oil). If so, let it warm up and run at WOT, getting temp to 140 or so for 30 minutes, fish for 30 minutes to allow for cool down, and then repeat.

Thanks, I’ve already got the rings set and it’s not making oil. At least not anymore.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

A simple cocktail of ring free, Stabil, and non ethanol fuel.
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

6. Member
    Ring free.
    2020 Skeeter FXR21
    2020 Yamaha 250 SHO
    Solix 15 - dash
    Solix 12 - bow
    Ultrex
    Sea Clear Power harness

7. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

8. Member
    Yamaha Fuel Stabilizer

9. Member
    For what its worth, I use this mixture in every bit of gas I put in my 250 sho. Knock on wood it has always ran flawlessly and I've never had an issue with startup in the spring after it sits all winter.

I mix 2 ounces of Ring Free plus with 6 ounces of Lucus upper cylinder lubricant - injector cleaner. I put this total 8 ounce mixture in sealed bottles and add the contents to every 20 gallons of non ethanol mid grade gas. It works for me. I try to add the recommended amount of marine stabil to the mixture for the last trip of the fall before I put it up although I believe the combination of the Ring Free plus and Lucus treatment and the fact I only use non ethanol gas takes care of any gas storage concerns for the 3 or 4 months the boat sits. Another thing I've always done is try to leave the boats over the winter with less than a half a tank of fuel. On the way to the lake in early spring I fill the tank with Non ethanol gas and double treat the gas for the first time only each year. This has worked for me for many years. For my Merc I just substitute Mercury Quickleen in place of the Ring free plus.

10. Member
    I will use some Ring Free when I remember otherwise just 89 octane and burn it up. My boat rarely sits for more than a few weeks without fresh gas.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    I use this as well
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

12. Member
    I use Seafoam and have for 15 plus years with excellent results.