Thread: snap clips

snap clips

[email]bblythe64gmail.com

They’re legit. I found a bunch of the Tactical Angler brand of them on clearance at a WallyMart for $2.00 / 10 pack and grabbed them up. I literally own over 1000 snaps in all shapes & sizes and was skeptical of these but they do what they do pretty well. I’ve caught myself too many times in the past thinking I’d closed a snap only to see upon closer inspection I hadn’t. The only place they can be difficult to put on is some billed baits where the tie eye is recessed into the bill.
    Ranting incoherently

3. Member
    I agree with the above assessment...my buddy gave me some light SW duty ones a few years back and they were very strong. The only challenge was putting them on certain baits with recessed line ties (as noted above).

4. Member
    Do you remove the split rings from the baits first or do you connect the snap to the split ring?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zero_cool View Post
    Do you remove the split rings from the baits first or do you connect the snap to the split ring?
    I prefer to always remove the split rings, although with some lures it doesn't really matter, it's more so on the smaller/lighter lures whereas a split ring + snap may start to hinder the action.

6. Member
    I've had great success using this style clip while fishing inshore for redfish, speckled trout and flounder here in South Louisiana. Started off using the Tactical Anglers clips, but now use the Twitch Fish clips in your link as they're a local company. Haven't had any issues with either brand.

Won't the v shaped end reduce or hinder action? Obviously you guys are saying they work, but do you get a tighter wobble?
    Denalirods.com
    Solarbat.com

They're stronger, but....

Quote Originally Posted by ou1dadgumit View Post
    Won't the v shaped end reduce or hinder action? Obviously you guys are saying they work, but do you get a tighter wobble?
    This is exactly my experience with them. I actually bought them with intentions of using them to replace snaps on Chatterbaits. No dice there as the V catches and won't allow the blade to move freely. I've since tried them on other baits and have had luck with smaller baits or those with thinner gauge line ties, but they catch and send the bait off sideways or at best screw up the action on baits with larger gauge line ties. I suppose I could go with a bigger size, but by the time you get to a big enough size to where this problem is solved, you've got a big hunk of metal there.

It could be entirely driven by the ones I bought...I admittedly can't remember the brand. And of course every one else's mileage may vary otherwise.

Looking at the link shared, mine probably fit with the "mini" or maybe the "junior" size (note that their mini size is 1/2" long). They're defnitely stronger than 15-25 lb test at that size. I tried tying them to braid and pulling on them with the braid wrapped around (leather heat resistant) gloved hands and I was cutting into my hand before they started to straighten even a little. What size is everyone else using for bass?
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

9. Moderator
    Interesting looking clip.

10. Member
    Check out Norman speed clips. Lots of folks use them & they work & do not hinder action at all. You can either replace the split ring with them or remove split ring & just tie one on the end of your line & clip it to the eye on any crank bait you decide to fish. They work great.

I only use that style for saltwater ,where you need super strong clips.
    Been using Decoy Egg Snaps (#2 and #3) for bass , they are my favorite and I've used just about every clip out there.

12. Member
    Interesting...
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

Ranting incoherently