Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carpet or Seadek?

I’m going to be redoing my carpet on the boat this winter and I can’t decide between doing carpet or seadeck.

What is everyone’s opinion? Specifically those of you who have had both the carpet and seadek?
    '06 Xpress X19 TS | 150 Yamaha VMAX

2. Member
    Both are nice. For me, I prefer Seadek due to the pressure it absorbs from being on my feet. I do a lot of catfishing with my kids so it is also easier to get hooks out of than carpet. I like to keep my boats clean so it is easier to wash and keep clean with faster drying in my opinion.

3. Member
    Having Aqua traction installed in my boat this week.

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDyer View Post
    Having Aqua traction installed in my boat this week.
    Would you mind to report back and let me know how you like it?

5. Member
    South of Baton Rouge but North of Plaquemine, LA
    I would remove the carpet first and make the decision from there. Some have removed carpet on the older models and found large unfinished corners and what not that were hidden by the carpet. I would see how many demons you may or may not have before spending the money on a sea deck kit and finding out after. Look up xpress spanky’s old thread on here for the center console build he was doing and see. Never mind just tried to look it up and all the pics weren’t showing any longer. You can probably find post where he mentioned it in there though. Had a couple spots he could fit his hand through from what I remember.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlipSide View Post
    Would you mind to report back and let me know how you like it?
    Will do.

Screenshot_20211022-205657.png

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

7. Member
    I have a X19 with Seadek and my son has one with carpet. The Seadek dries MUCH faster than the carpet and is easier to keep clean.

8. Member

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

9. Member

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

10. Member
    Go SeaDek it is far superior to carpet. Compartments are noisy when closed, but no big deal for me.
    2018 X19 Pro
    2018 Mercury 150 ProXS
    10" Hydraulic Atlas
    Helix 9 SI
    Helix 7
    Minn Kota 80# Fortrex

11. Member
    I was going to put seadek in my 2008 H17 until I pulled up the carpet. It would take me a lot of time to weld up and smooth all the gaps, bad welds and uneven fits. Pull up the carpet before you order the seadek.Screenshot_20211108-213551_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20211108-213529_Gallery.jpg

12. Member
    Have had 2 Xpress X boats with carpet and now have Sea Dek in my 2021 X 18. One of the reasons I bought a new boat was for the sea dek and would never go back. Does show dirt more but so easy to clean and drys in 30 minutes or less.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I am thinking I may go back to carpet on the decks and do some sea-dek type material in the console area. That is the part for me that gets waterlogged after a rain, which is the main reason I want to get away from carpet.

Reason I am scared to go full sea dek type is because of the weld gaps I know are going to be present on the boat when I pull up the carpet.

If you fish on rainy days alot and do a lot of running you will have more water blowing in your face with seadeck versus carpet.
    G3 HP180
    Yamaha 115 4 Stroke

15. Member
    I like the idea of sea deck Easy to keep up. But I’m a carpet guy. It’s just more comfortable IMO

16. Member
    We did the hybrid approach on our 2001 X19. Put pad and carpet on the front deck, no pad on the rear and EVA on the cockpit area. We do like it a lot. Of course compared to what it was before, anything was an improvement. I had the same concerns as others have stated about the welds and or imperfections in the seams etc... Came out really nice IMO.
    20210517_213244_HDR.jpg20210517_213148.jpg

17. Member
    Be careful with sea dek, it advertised as lasting 5 to 7 years. Might ask if those numbers are accurate.

Here's a question for everyone with with sea deck, how is it in the winter? I'm starting to look at tin boats and notice this option a lot. My concern is the difference between the sea deck and carpet when we drop the boat in and it's 19° with the fear being that it'll be like a sheet of ice. I've also heard about mold issues with the sea deck on some bigger fiberglass boats but have no first hand knowledge of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smallie_Hawgin View Post
    We did the hybrid approach on our 2001 X19. Put pad and carpet on the front deck, no pad on the rear and EVA on the cockpit area. We do like it a lot. Of course compared to what it was before, anything was an improvement. I had the same concerns as others have stated about the welds and or imperfections in the seams etc... Came out really nice IMO.
    20210517_213244_HDR.jpg20210517_213148.jpg
    Thanks for this Smallie. That is exactly what I am going to do on mine. What brand EVA did you go with in the console area?

20. Member
    We did the Amazon route. My only caution is the diamond pattern we chose has loosened up in one spot. As in, it sort of delaminated the two layers a bit. If I use an EVA foam again, I'd probably stick with more simple patterns to avoid that. Otherwise, very satisfied with the product!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast