Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I think it's fine if you want to lay down some rules for your own home, around family etc, but they are going to do it when not around you. Hence playing sports. I think for me being in my 30's and having kids, there is a time and a place for it. Cursing can be an expression, it is just a word. It depends on how you are using that word.

We aren't in the 50's anymore. Cursing is heard almost everywhere, have you heard music lately?

Saying "we won the f'in game!" is very different than calling the ref "an f'in blind mother f'in clown" Cursing just to curse is different than cursing AT someone.

I mean it's all over the news..."let's go brandon!"
    Kyle

2010 Nitro Z-7

PB: 11 lbs, 1 oz

2. Member
    I agree with Josh, do at home, it really doesn’t make an athlete play better and it sounds awful.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerFive1Niner View Post
    There is a social time and place with certain crowds (locker room) that so called unacceptable vocabulary is acceptable. Just make sure they know the difference. My mom, God rest her soul, never heard a single curse word come out of my mouth in the 83 years she was alive. Never use it in the office. In the field, on the golf course or losing a big fish is a different matter. My son however started dropping the F bomb and other choice words at a very early age. I called him out on it and told him it was unacceptable in this house. Then my wife tells me to chill out in front of him so just like that, I was the bad guy. He's 30 something now and will still let one slip every once in awhile and I still call him out on it. Not in front of your mother! It's a matter of respect for those around you. I'm not innocent or a prude, but nothing turns me off faster than someone I just met, professionally or not, that starts dropping F bombs and GD's. You don't know me or if it offends me or not. Show me and those around you a little more respect with your first impression vocabulary.
    I get what you are saying, but honestly, I'm not worried about offending you. If you are someone that I just met and I turn you off when I say f*ck, you are probably not someone I want to be around anyway. I will watch my mouth with business, and that's about it. And that is only because I am representing my company at that time, not just myself. Do you ask for preferred pronouns before you address someone so that you don't offend them with your potential microaggressions?

4. Member
    Maybe they are just really smart?

5. Member
    I would not ban it or punish them. Just make them aware that when people hear them talking like that they form negative opinions of them
    1995 Ranger 690 VS
    2008 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wareagle24 View Post
    I wouldn't talk to the coach about it if it was me. I would say something to the boys when y'all were alone.
    I thought maybe the OP was the coach at first. I'd only talk to my son in that situation but if I was carpooling, I might bring it up then with hopes that it spreads but approaching the coach? Sounds like a Karen move to me

Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    Seriously, I'd ask the kids what sort of language the coach uses, including during practice, game and locker room. I think it's pretty common for most sports coaches to yell and use bad words in those situations.
    That's what I was thinking. My coaches always swore a blue streak at most practices

Quote Originally Posted by magfluker View Post
    I think it's fine if you want to lay down some rules for your own home, around family etc, but they are going to do it when not around you. Hence playing sports. I think for me being in my 30's and having kids, there is a time and a place for it. Cursing can be an expression, it is just a word. It depends on how you are using that word.

We aren't in the 50's anymore. Cursing is heard almost everywhere, have you heard music lately?

Saying "we won the f'in game!" is very different than calling the ref "an f'in blind mother f'in clown" Cursing just to curse is different than cursing AT someone.

I mean it's all over the news..."let's go brandon!"
    I couldn't have said this better. I wanted to but being afraid to butcher it I didn't
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

8. Member
    I think most kids these days drop the F bomb, not to be confused with a bomb cyclone, in every sentence.

9. Member
    It's worth noting that John Wooden, the greatest college coach in history, never swore nor did he allow his players to while leading them to 11 national championships. Contrary to popular opinion, it doesn't make you a better player.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Probably only place you dont hear them curse is at home when parents are home.....otherwise it's all the time....they are teenagers......

Let it ride.....
    Agreed. I remember when I was a kid in high school.

11. Member
    Hockey? I thought that was normal vocabulary.

12. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    So who is fine with anyone using the f bomb among women and children in public that you don’t know? Use the language you are good with among friends but spouting profanities in public is a show of disrespectful.

Dale Sinclair original

13. Member
    Im 43 and to this day my mother might kill me if I dropped an F bomb. Not saying I dont on occasion but I prefer ohhhh flip or maybe son of a biscuit.

14. Member
    RELAX

15. Member
    Do not discuss it with the coach.

Quote Originally Posted by local16 View Post
    So who is fine with anyone using the f bomb among women and children in public that you don’t know? Use the language you are good with among friends but spouting profanities in public is a show of disrespectful.

I don't think we have to worry about many women and children on the ice or in the locker room.

17. Member
    When someone uses the GD profanity I wonder why they would curse someone they obviously do not know.

Ephesians 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

If it is okay in someone's opinion, to use the F word along with GD where do you draw the line?

Sure, I did use profanity as a teen but was respectful to avoid it in the presence of anyone who could possibly be offended by it.

I think would have been difficult to measure the disappointment of my mother or sisters if I dropped a few of those around them.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

18. Member
    There are chances to teach your kid. Bad habits can evolve to normal behavior. Its your chance to make a point. I have listened to phd's drop f bombs and it really detracts from the message. You dont have to be a phd for the f bombs to detract from your message.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadows View Post
    Let them know on the ride home. Just because other kids say it doesn't mean it's ok. Tell them to set an example. One of my biggest pet peeves is hearing people drop the f bomb or GD, especially in a professional setting. And it starts at an early age.

Everyone gets pissed off and says things sometimes, but using it as every day conversation is just a bad habit to get in.
    Must not be in the trades if you don't like hearing cursing in a professional setting lol
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

My grandfather was Professor at Columbia University. When Young he stated that an appropriate placement of a profanity to emphasize you point has merit but the constant use does not. Never forgot that.
    As for coaching and my players, I hear it on the field, I will call the player out. I had a policy of "Act like Gentlemen, while stepping on their throat" for the most part the they did. My parents appreciated the approach.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast