Exhaust Extensions

Mercury 150 EFI, serial 0G478627.

I am in need of a replacement exhaust extension for this engine. The original extension that is in my engine is the longer, 13 1/2" version, part number 812834A2. Unfortunately, I have had it on order since mid-August and Mercury has it on backorder, and keeps extending the ship date. As of yesterday, the projected ship date is the end of November. I have a friend with a similar engine, that he has scrapped for parts, that has the shorter, 7 1/2" version extension, part number 879288T71. My question is would it be okay to install my friend's 7 1/2" extension in my engine? Also, would I notice any difference, good or bad, in the performance of my engine if I did install this shorter version?

Thanks in advance!
    Tommy M

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would not recommend using the shorter exhaust tuner as it will cost you on the bottom end/holeshot.

Make sure you use BOLTS (not studs and nylock nuts) when putting it back in.

Sending you a PM also.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    You’ll have to pay shipping fees but if you call Chris Marine in Aransas Pass you might find it . he stocks lots of parts for Mercury’s he bills boats and in Riggs Mall with Mercury they have a lot of parts in stock.