Suggestion on Transducer install location?

Have had my 2022 V16 WT for a couple months. It has the garbage $89 Lowrance Fish Finder. I bought a Garmin 73cv last week to install.

My question is:

I am going to mount the screen on the front deck. But, I am on the fence of whether to install the transducer to the transom or to the trolling motor. I typically fish from the front deck, so I am inclined to install it on the trolling motor, but this means I can't get live underwater feed when the trolling motor is stowed. But, if I mount it to the transom, I won't be getting info about what is below the bow of the boat - which is where I will be fishing from.

What has been your experience? What do you suggest?

Thanks!

2. Member
    Last edited by Mutt; 12-19-2021 at 11:58 PM.

3. Member
    When the trolling motor is stowed, how are you going to be able to see the screen on the the Garmin mounted on the front deck, won't you be at the console? I would mount the Garmin on the trolling moter , and start to save to buy another to mount on the console with the transducer on the transom.

4. Banned
    Mount it on the trolling motor.

5. Member
    I have the same boat except it's a 2018. I have a Lowrance Hook 2 7Split Shot at the helm. I will be installing a Hook 2 7X Split Shot at the bow with the transducer mounted on the trolling motor soon. Look under the cup holder at the bow, there is factory wiring below it to power your sonar unit. My Hook 2 7 at the helm replaced the 3x that came with the boat. It has regular sonar + DI and built in maps, along with the capability to add mapping chips. This is nice when checking out areas to fish, once you deploy your trolling motor , yes then you can see whats exactly under you.
    DSCN2539.JPG
    Last edited by fishin00; 10-30-2021 at 11:28 AM.

6. Member
    You realistically need a graph on the console and on the bow.

7. Member
    Thumbs up on the Bowducer. Mine works great. I only use it at low speed trolling. I use my console fishfinder to get the the general area of interest
    whatroads - A pun on the "information super highway"
    Tracker 190 TX
    90 hp Merc
    Fortrex 80 w/ 52" shaft

8. Member
    Put your Garmin up front and leave the Lowrance at the console, for now... or maybe move the Lowrance up front and put the Garmin at the console. Either way I would have the ducer for the bow unit on the trolling motor and the console unit ducer on the transom.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

9. Member
    When I bought my Humminbird it was March at the beginning of the first Covid wave. Directions said the transducer would be affected by the trolling motor. They provided a paper, I could submit, with my original transducer, to receive one properly shielded for tolling motor use. The catch, back ordered due to Covid. That lead me to use the Bowducer
    whatroads - A pun on the "information super highway"
    Tracker 190 TX
    90 hp Merc
    Fortrex 80 w/ 52" shaft