05 Verado 250 oil leak

2005 Verado 250 have a leak I think from the main cylinder between the trim cylinders. The dealer is a Certified Verado dealer and saying a oil seal but they have never seen this problem. Said they were going to have to tear down part of it to make sure. I had the oil changed by the same dealer and the first time I took it out I noticed the oil on my motor totter. Called the dealer and he said no big deal, but needless to say it got worse. Would to much oil from an oil change cause this? Any help would be appreciated. Serial number 1B120046

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    John:

First stop would be to try to confirm whether this is Power Trim and Steering Fluid, SYNTHETIC STEERING FLUID, or Engine Oil.

Most leaks that originate from the center PEDESTAL are either steering fluid (from the cylinder) or trim fluid (from the reservoir/pump). I've seen both.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks!

4. Member
    I have a similar problem with my trim setup on my 05 Verado. I noticed the fluid on my motor totter and my mechanic said it is fluid from the trim unit, but is leaking so little he wouldnt mess with changing anything.
    2005 Ranger Z21
    2005 Mercury Verado 250

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmartin56 View Post
    I have a similar problem with my trim setup on my 05 Verado. I noticed the fluid on my motor totter and my mechanic said it is fluid from the trim unit, but is leaking so little he wouldnt mess with changing anything.
    The problem I have with that approach is that where fluid can leak out, WATER can leak IN. If you need assistance, please open a separate thread for your engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor