Base layer that doesn't cost a mortgage payment?

I am looking for a decent base layer that won't cost $300+. I was thinking about trying the First Lite or Forloh stuff but dang is it pricey. I love the idea of an all USA made product like Forloh but I just can't justify that. Do any of you have any suggestions? I really want to try merino or something other than the under armor type of material.

2. Member
    sent ya a message

3. Member
    You don't like any of the standard offerings from Cabela's, LL bean, etc? I don't keep up with all the latest and greatest. I'm still using polypro stuff from the 90's.
    http://https://www.cabelas.com/shop/...llover-for-men

4. Banned
    Got UA and they are very good.

5. Member
    I think the under armor is some of the best stuff I have tried. I have poly pro, cabelas stuff etc but the UA stuff is way better and still reasonably priced. I have the heavy duty cold gear set and can wear that with carhartt and a sweatshirt and ice fish in 32 degrees rather comfortable as long as there's no wind.

6. Member
    Merino wool is where it's at. Love my First Lite stuff. There are some merino wool shirts and pants on Amazon that look decent, but I have not tried them yet.

7. Moderator
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I will check these and some of the ones I received in PM's out.

8. Member
    I prefer the LL Bean heavyweight.

9. Member
    I used to use Merino wool until I was given a UA ColdGear Base 3.0 set for Christmas one year ...... LOVE that stuff! I can't wear the 3.0 in SC but on rare occasions. In Ohio I give it a workout.

Good Luck!
    -391v
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

10. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    I'm a big First Lite fan and a real big fan of merino wool. The Firstlite zip off long john is worth every dollar. Being able to have it zipped open on the way in to stay cool, zip them shut at the stand for warmth and then being able to remove them without taking off your boots is great.

I also picked up some merino wool on Amazon a few years ago. Very basic but very soft and comfortable. I wear it all the time during the winter.

Of course there is a draw back to merino and thats the weight of it. It is heavy compared to synthetics and synthetics dry faster. And this may not matter for you, but I can wear merino base layer several days in a row without washing them. My UA base layers get funky after a day of sweating. I'll be camping/hunting for a week at a time, I don't want to spend time at the laundry mat.
    Thanos was the hero

11. Member
    I discovered by accident a combo that works into the 20's at the minimum. Regular old sweatclothes under your normal outerwear.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    They have all kinds at COSTCO. heavy med and light.
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

13. Member
    I just wear a t shirt and a thin pair if camo pants under my bibs/parka.