Garmin 12in Help

Having trouble deciding which 12 to get to throw up front and figured all you garmin guys could help me out. I currently have 2 helix 10s up front, one for 360 and one for di/map. I plan on getting rid of one of those helixes and replacing it with a garmin 12 with livescope and would also like to mount a GT56UHD ducer on my ultrex for di if I end up ever wanting to use di/sonar.

Two units I’ve decided to either get are the GPSMAP 1243xsv or the echo map ultra 126sv.

Questions I have for you guys is:

can I run the GT56 ducer on the 1243?

anybody having problems with the ultra popping out of the cradle? (I keep my boat in my shop so my units stay on traveling 99% or the time) that’s really the only reason I’m favoring the 1243 at the moment

I know this maybe tough to answer, but is the 1243 an old garmin unit that’s about to be discontinued? Same for the ultra? Being a humminbird guy I don’t keep up with the latest and greatest units for garmin.

Am I at a huge disadvantage going with either of these units instead of the 8612 for mainly livescope and some di/mapping use?

thanks for the help.

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    You say "1243". Pay attention to the numbers and letters. That unit does not have sonar capabilities unless it is networked with a unit that has sonar. Yes, you can run Livescope on it but no sonar. So if you are wanting to use the GT56 then you want the 1243xsv

The 1243xsv does not have a cradle, the Ultra 126 has a cradle. I never had any of my units come out of their cradles.

The 1243xsv is a newer updated model from the 1242xsv....i want to say they just updated it earlier this year.

Disadvantage?? I dont think so but the 8612 has Full HD screen. I think that screen resolution can be helpful when using side/down images.

Keep in mind that Garmin family units dont mix on a network. In other words, you cant put an Ultra and GPSmap on the same network, they must be from same family, just a note incase you start adding other Garmin units.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    I'm currently run Helix 10 up front for mapping and 2D sonar and Di and 360 , also have a 8612 for livescope . The 8612 has the highest pixel count than any of the garmin units that's why I went with that . The transducer for livescope will let you use 2d and DI if you want to for your info . I have had good results with the 8612 just pricey . Hope this helps

4. Member
    Thanks for the information from both of you. I was not aware you could run di/sonar on the livescope ducer. Do you have to change the position of the ducer to attain that?

5. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    1242 non touch is a great unit and price point .1243 is the touch and upgrade to the non touch.I run 1242 with a uhd gt34 and works very good.

6. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MercJP View Post
    Thanks for the information from both of you. I was not aware you could run di/sonar on the livescope ducer. Do you have to change the position of the ducer to attain that?
    No, it will read while in forward view. Now i'll say this, i've looked at the down vu from my Livescope and it works, but you will be getting a better picture from the transducer.....

7. Member
    Thanks fishin couillon. I was wondering the quality VS a transdcuer.

8. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    If you were not interested in putting the GT56, yeah it would work....the way i look at it, is LS is intended for Live view, not down vu......Just my opinions.