TJNYSNP

Anyone Record their structurescan time on the water ?

Curious how many minutes in general can be recorded on a 32GB card ?

I would love to sit in driveway and look back at and area that i was fishing.. not sure how easy it will be to know GPS wise what i'm looking at but want to try soon

i have HDS gen2 touch units

2. Member
    Days, not minutes. :)
    If you record in SL2-format and not SL3 you can probably get a weeks worth of sonarlogs on one 32GB memorycard.

3. Member
    It takes about 4-6 hours to reach a file size limit depending on your settings. Max file size is 2GB. So that’s about 8 days worth of graphing 24/7 you could store on one card. I have surveyed two of our local lakes over the past couple years with sl3 files. It Creates great images to overlay on you depthcharts with the right software.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRC18D View Post
    It takes about 4-6 hours to reach a file size limit depending on your settings. Max file size is 2GB. So that’s about 8 days worth of graphing 24/7 you could store on one card. I have surveyed two of our local lakes over the past couple years with sl3 files. It Creates great images to overlay on you depthcharts with the right software.
    Do sl3 files give you better structure scan overlays than sl2? Thought that the 3D recording was not yet being used in generating any kind of maps or overlays?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fisheye216 View Post
    A. Do sl3 files give you better structure scan overlays than sl2?
    B. Thought that the 3D recording was not yet being used in generating any kind of maps or overlays?
    A. No, there is no difference in the recording regarding 2D, downscan or sidescan. The difference between SL2 and SL3 is that SL3 records one more channel, the 3D-part from StructureScan 3D. Unless you have specific use for that channel, I recommend recording in SL2 as that keeps the filesize down and more 3. party aplications accept SL2 versus SL3.

B. SLG, SL2 and SL3 are sonar-recordings (sonarlogs), they have nothing to do with your map or any overlay. SL2 and SL3 can be converted in your unit to structuremap-files, and those are overlaid on your map. A structuremap based on SL2 and SL3 looks exactly the same.
    Last edited by Team Colibri; 10-29-2021 at 07:41 AM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    A. No, there is no difference in the recording regarding 2D, downscan or sidescan. The difference between SL2 and SL3 is that SL3 records one more channel, the 3D-part from StructureScan 3D. Unless you have specific use for that channel, I recommend recording in SL" as that keeps the filesize down and more 3. party aplications accept SL2 versus SL3.

B. SLG, SL2 and SL3 are sonar-recordings (sonarlogs), they have nothing to do with your map or any overlay. SL2 and SL3 can be converted in your unit to structuremap-files, and those are overlaid on your map. A structuremap based on SL2 and SL3 looks exactly the same.
    Concerning your response in "B" above, I assume this is true whether you're creating a map on C-Map Genesis or Reefmaster? Thanks.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fisheye216 View Post
    Concerning your response in "B" above, I assume this is true whether you're creating a map on C-Map Genesis or Reefmaster? Thanks.
    We are now leaving the "sonarlog 1.1" and moving on to the advanced section. :)

C-Map Genesis only uses data from the 2D-channel(s), meaning you get the same result from SLG, SL2 and SL3 as all of them have 2D.
    SLG - Position, 2D
    SL2 - Position, 2D, downscan, sidescan
    SL3 - Position, 2D, downscan, sidescan and 3D (3D only when using StructureScan 3D transducer and module, if a transdcuer like AI is used the 3D-channel is empty.)

The latest version of Reefmaster (2.0 and above) accepts SL3-sonarlogs, while the older version only accepts SL2 and SLG. Reefmaster can`t draw any (meaningful) data from the 3D-channel in the SL3-files, so as of now even with Reefmaster 2(+) the SL2-files will do the same as SL3 (just with less space taken up on your memorycard or harddrive).

It is possible to get data from the 3D-channel in SL3 though, depth-data can be pulled (just not in Reefmaster directly).

Those data can again be used in Reefmaster to get depth-data from a wider track versus the spot-measurements from the 2D-part of any sonarlog. The image above is from a blog done by a friend of mine. the artickle can be translated using Google Translate:
    https://www.teamkrokodille.no/post/s...3%A5-steroider

In this example, using the 3D-channel gave him 280 times more point-measurements for depth versus the 2D-channel. But, and this is a HUGE "but", using depth-data from the 3D-channel has some major downsides when it comes to how accurate it is. As a minimum the surface has to be flat, the boat moving in a straight line and a device that monitors for pitch/ roll should be used.
    Last edited by Team Colibri; 10-29-2021 at 07:57 AM.