Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    I have never paid for a dog in my 67 years, all have been mutts. My dog I have now is a Great Pyrenes/Lab (Ace) is the best. In March we were taking our daily walk down a dirt road in East Texas and a hog that had been chased by dogs came out of the woods and attacked me. The hog knocked me down and was on top of me and I thought I was going to die, but Ace grabbed the hog by the side of the head and pulled him off of me. If it wasn't for that mutt I would surely be dead.

All adoption fees here at the local shelter are being picked up by a local car dealership … seems a whole lotta dopes bought Covid dogs they don’t want anymore .. place is jam packed

Every dog we’ve had has been a pound hound. The chihuahua we have now (got him in 2008) was on doggie death row 3 times. Kids thought that little ‘purse dogs’ were cute until they realized that they are living, breathing animals that need care. Had a bunch and they were all good. The Rudy is getting old but still hangs in there. Little guy was chasing a rabbit around the yard last night. Didn’t know he could run that fast anymore. Looked funny because the rabbit was bigger than him.

4. Fishing is a Passion
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    Puppy prices have been crazy for a long time now, its not a new thing. There are lots of breed specific rescues that you could check out. I am an Australian shepherd person and there are several Australian shepherd rescues in my state. So if nothing peaks your interest at the local shelter, google the kind of dog you want and see if there are any rescues in your area that have some available for foster/adoption. Rescue animals can sometimes take alot of patience but they will come around, they just take time and effort from the owners.
    We adopted our Golden through this avenue
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

Quote Originally Posted by MacCTD View Post
    One of my friends breeds Springer Spaniels, he is in GA, I got a pup from him earlier this year. He is around $1100, I have had Springers my whole life, including a rescue Springer. I have two now.
    Springers are very smart dogs , Joey Mines has them on his T V show quite often .

6. Member
    Yes.. get a pup if possible, so it acclimated to your family, surrounding, schedule and so on. Mutts make a good reliable companion.. one of my favorite dogs ever was a mutt..although I am particularly partial to more hated breeds.

7. Member
    best dogs ever are pound pups or dogs!!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDN Bass View Post
    Anyone else have any advice?
    Yes...I do.. get a puppy.. a free to low cost animal. A pup will acclimate quickly to you, your loved ones, your house, property boundaries, schedule and so on. One of the best dogs I ever owned was a mutt..although I own and favor the “hated” breeds.. to each is own on breed..show your dog love, and respect, and kindness.. ( lots ) and it will be your best dog ever.. I would look through the local county classifieds ( the free paper version by the newspaper stand if you are rural)..good luck in your search.. ( the dog I spoke of was lab/pit mix.. it was one of the keenest animals I ever owned.. and still to this day my eldest sons favorite.. this particular animal made him a true dog lover. ( who also loves /own/and breeds the hated).. her name was Onyx.. she will be missed.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    I know of a guy that gets loads of shelter dogs here in Ga. and takes them to New York where they are in a big demand for adoption . I think he does this on a volunteer basic .
    Where does he take them to a Chinese restaurant!

3 mutts.jpeg1 rescue 2 registered all spoiled equally

Quote Originally Posted by Canman_83 View Post
    Lost my buddy of 10 years not to long ago and been looking for a new companion. Holy smokes every breed id be interested in is 1800-3500. Last time I purchased akc registered pups they were no more than 500-600 maybe. I have visited the local animal shelter and fostered a couple dogs but no luck so far with them taking up with small kids. Maybe I’m in the dark on puppy prices but to me they sure have gone up.
    https://bunnysbuddies.org

These are great people, who do a great thing. A few of my friends got their dogs via them. These are dogs rescued from the Korean and Chinese dog meat markets and exported to the US. Don't feed into the puppy mills...give a deserving dog a home whether its via this or a local shelter.

12. Member
    I have a Red Bone that cost $50 almost 11 years ago. I got lucky. Great dog and yes when he gets a whiff of something he gets fired up. Love hounds but you have to exercise em.

Another rescue vote. Bail one out of jail and he will forever love you.

14. Member
    Around here it depends on the location. We were looking in New York state at some highly recommended breeders. They were priced for the NYC market. Then we searched Pennsylvania. More reasonable but too much travel time. Now we have some local breeders getting into the game and the prices are much lower. After Covid the prices spiked because of the popularity. It's leveled off some.

15. Banned
    Either a Rescue or go to the local shelter. The local Shelter has so many dogs that one County lady has 3 in Her office living. We just got a German Shorthair Pointer from the Weimaraner Rescue which makes it our 4th dog from them..

Shorty and Mama: Jasmine (mama) was 13 at the time; She lived another 10 months.

Unknown-1.jpeg

Birdie Mae 'Puddin'

IMG_0371.jpg

Mathias Geary Just got fixed and still NO OFF button:

216975103_351859412963070_5252921036219281847_n.jpg

And of course "MagWai" AffenPinscher who was taken out of a PitBull Fighting ring out of Ocala. MagWai was a hermaphrodite (peed like a male and female; two tubes) 24 toes; 4 rows of teeth. He was the King of the Dog Park and dogs would drop toys off in front of Herm. MagWai tuned up a WolfHound who would mess w/Shorty..

29510902_10213827204492127_1592491936337280436_n.jpg

16. Member
    I paid NOTHING!!!! for my Lab/Chessie mix. Absolutely the best and smartest dog I have owned in my 81 years !!!!!!!!!!! He is 13 now and we are in a race to see who goes down first !!!

17. Member
    If you don't want a rescue or shelter dog, here's a couple steps.

Decide what dog breed you want. Go onto AKC website. That has information on all dog breeds. They also list the AKC specific breeds website. Those will have a list of breeders that are in compliance with them. Contact the breeders. There are still good breeders and great breeders on that list so ask for references.

I have had rescue dogs, and craigslist dogs and one terrier pup found eating out of a dumpster. Once I decided I wanted to try a different approach, I found some of the best breeders of Shih Tzu's in the USA. One thing I was surprised. Shih Tzus are not supposed to bark. The first breeder I visited had 17 Shih Tzus and when you rang the doorbell, no barking at all. Not one bark, just waging tails and 34 curious eyes at the front door.

Another thing I learned. The breeder I use is based in Ohio. I used one of their airline transporter people to bring my dog to Florida. They only fly in the cabin.
    I asked the woman who I met at the airport is this common and she told me that year in 2014 she took over 200 flights, and only a small percentage is for dogs being sold. Most flights for shows or breeding.
    2019 Ranger Z185
    veteran

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DAC244 View Post
    Where does he take them to a Chinese restaurant!

Highly doubtful. Up here lots of people go to rescues for dogs. They move them so quick that if you see a puppy at a shelter on petfinder its most likely gone if you don't respond with an hour or two. Adults don't seem to last either.

My two are both shelter dogs, and they are both great dogs. The black one we got from a shelter in Maine and the tan one from a rescue in Mass. Both are originally from Tennessee. The tan one we feel lucky to have got him when we did. We had been searching for months and as soon as we say him jumped on it and were able to bring him home. When we got to the foster home there wee 5 other people there picking up his siblings. By them time we left all 6 puppies were adopted and had only been at the foster for a day.

My sister also got two of hers from down south. The orange one from Tennessee and the yellow lab in the foreground from Alabama. He was an adult dog when they got him. Im her case both dogs were already adopted by her before they ever came up on the truck. They picked them off directly off the truck in a wal mart parking lot.

19. Member
    I truly believe animals know when you save them. Speaking of which I have this damn cat that wont stay out of my lap. Saved it as a kitten from under a bush beside my house. Follows me like a puppy dog. Spent the first month of its life sleeping in the hood of the hoodie I was wearing LOL.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whopperstopper View Post
    Don't know if beagles are on your radar but they make a fine addition to any family. Very easy for children to be around. Warning---they love everyone so we have a large fenced yard.
    Never a more true statement! They want to play with everyone, people and other dogs, so you really have to keep control of them. It’s not for others safety, it’s for their own.

I got mine as a pup after I lost my wife, she has been a constant companion, which has helped me through some rough times. She rarely barks, but she is a digger😀, she loves to chew, but I’ve trained her to not destroy certain things, but I’ve still got to watch her. They must have attention, and do not like it at all to be left alone, which I rarely have to do with her, I kinda like her too. The most difficult thing I’ve encountered is house training her, but I think it’s on me, not her. She will ring a bell to go outside, but has not quite got that it’s bathroom time, not play time.

They are very intelligent animals, and it’s sometimes not a good thing, they can figure out work arounds to things they don’t like, and are pretty sneaky.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast