Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whopperstopper View Post
    Don't know if beagles are on your radar but they make a fine addition to any family. Very easy for children to be around. Warning---they love everyone so we have a large fenced yard.
    Aren't Beagles quite "vocal"?

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CDN Bass View Post
    Anyone else have any advice?

I can't go in a dog pound because I would want to take every one of them home , can't stand the idea of them being killed .

4. Member
    I guess some people have bad experiences with shelter dogs, but it’s hard for me not to go that route. My last was a heeler/lab mix that couldn’t have been a better dog for 16-1/2 years. Smarter, more loyal and more personality than any purebred I’ve ever owned.

If you can’t find a humane society, that has at least one puppy compatible with kids, it’s probably not the puppy’s fault.

5. Banned
    Rescue dogs are the best way to go. Just do some research and I guarantee you there are tons of all different types of dogs needing to be rescued in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by Whopperstopper View Post
    Don't know if beagles are on your radar but they make a fine addition to any family. Very easy for children to be around. Warning---they love everyone so we have a large fenced yard.
    Neighbor has one and it is the most annoying dog. Barks constantly like it’s dying.

I know of a guy that gets loads of shelter dogs here in Ga. and takes them to New York where they are in a big demand for adoption . I think he does this on a volunteer basic .

8. Member
    One of my friends breeds Springer Spaniels, he is in GA, I got a pup from him earlier this year. He is around $1100, I have had Springers my whole life, including a rescue Springer. I have two now.

9. Member
    They have been expensive. I bought a havanese in January and it was $3,000.

10. Goby King
    $150 will get you a great dog from a shelter around here.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    Neighbor has one and it is the most annoying dog. Barks constantly like it’s dying.
    God I hate Beagles. Damn things wont shut up.

12. Member
    We got our lab mix at an adoption event. We'd checked shelters and the humane society with no luck at all. The local pet store chains host adoption events once a month. Our lab was 8 weeks old, had his first round of shots and a voucher for the the 2nd round, and he was neutered. The only thing I didn't care too much for was that he'd been neutered so young, but I understand why they do it. $280. Best dog we've had.

IMG_4148.JPG

IMG_1827.jpg
    2022 Lund Tyee 1875, Merc 200

13. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    I paid $800 for my wire fox terrier

14. Banned
    I've always got a shelter or rescue pet, never even considered buying one from a breeder.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post
    They have been expensive. I bought a havanese in January and it was $3,000.

At what interest rate? OUCH! I think some of these breed names are just made up! I'm sure it's a great pet and you love it!

BBC Cash for Dogs!!!

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    God I hate Beagles. Damn things wont shut up.
    It is usually because they are put in a pen, fed and watered, and only get out a few times during hunting season. We have a hound down the street that barks alot, they have two kids, bought her as a pet puppy a few months ago, and their kids always play in the front yard while she is locked away in the backyard barking. Some people just don't get it. Not saying that is you but a beagle/hound has to be socialized also or they are going to bark.

Some people don't need dogs there not toys to play with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfish View Post
    It is usually because they are put in a pen, fed and watered, and only get out a few times during hunting season. We have a hound down the street that barks alot, they have two kids, bought her as a pet puppy a few months ago, and their kids always play in the front yard while she is locked away in the backyard barking. Some people just don't get it. Not saying that is you but a beagle/hound has to be socialized also or they are going to bark.

I'm 1 for 2 with shelter dogs. One was the best dog we ever had and the other...well...is the epitome of "bless her heart." In her defense, I think she would have been difficult even if we got her as a puppy. Adopted her circa age 7, and she was found roaming Mecklenburg County. Took her a while to adjust, and still is prone to bouts of insanity. My wife loves her, so the dog stays.

That being said, I'd still go to the shelter. I could buy a nice trolling motor for the cost of a puppy.
    Wishing I was Fishing

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfish View Post
    I have no idea. I just remember growing up we lived in the woods and a neighbor let them run loose and those freakin dogs were always chasing something and as mentioned barking like they were dying.

20. Member
    Whoever says hounds bark, they aren’t lying.. but… we have a Basset Hound that is now 2 years old, and she doesn’t even know she can bark, so I guess we got lucky! Lol

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast