New CX20 Pro - Initial Impressions and a Question?

I completed the maiden voyage of my DC CX 20 Pro and the initial 2 hour Merc 250 break-in. Overall, I’m very pleased with the boat. Great layout, gets on plane quick, and has a very smooth ride. I do have one issue I’ve described at the end of this post and I would welcome readers thoughts.

Here are my initial impressions.

1. Benchmark trailer appears well built and the bow step is worth every penny! Quiet and smooth.
    2. Very pleased with the Garmin electronics and Force trolling motor. I need a lot more time with Panoptics Livescope and Perspective on the bow and helm 12 inch units to utilize them to their full potential, but so far, easy to use and intuitive. Not a severe test for spot lock but it held us on two points in 10-12 mph wind and we caught a ton of fish.
    3. The three 50ah Ionic lithium batteries started the day at 100% SOC and after four hours of use, including over an hour on spot lock, were at 80% SOC based on their Bluetooth monitoring app. I wasn’t sure 50ah was enough but since I don’t fish current I think they will be fine.
    4. Very satisfied with the Bluetooth Jensen stereo, boat and engine cover, deck lighting, high speed live well pickup with easy shut-off, and dual Power Poles. Comfortable seats with plenty of room on both sides but I'm only 5'9" and my son is 5'11". No issues with their install.

With full load, including gas and livewells and stock prop, the boat got on plane in a hurry with only a very slight lean to the left that corrected quickly. However, it started to walk at 66-67 mph. With significant driver input my son and I, in different runs, we able to get it to 70 mph but because of the Merc break-in limitations we were not comfortable trying to push it further. RPMs reached 5900 which is pretty good. Based on other posts, measurements I’ve taken and discussions with my dealer we’re going to raise the motor about an inch before my next run. With this adjustment and more seat time I should be good. No hydraulic jack plate .... at least so far.

Here’s my issue that I would like readers thoughts on. At idle, with the motor trimmed all the way in and staying off the hot foot, a fair amount of water is pushed into the splash well. When I trimmed the motor up at idle it pushed even more water into the splash well. I'm not sure this is a big problem. After all, the splash well is intended to catch water, but I don’t recall my old Triton ever doing this or seeing it in other boats. Plus, the motor just looks low off the transom. Should I not worry about this until after the motor is raised? Am I wrong and just missed it before in other boats or is this caused by something else?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    I don't know about the splash well issue but my CX20 likes the PTP at 2.5" below the pad. I wouldn't go any higher.

3. Member
    Thanks! I'm not 100% sure I measured it properly but mine is about 4 inches. Certainly low compared to yours.

4. Member
    Do you have a plate on the bottom of the jack plate that limits water coming up in the middle of the JP?

5. Member
    Don't know and unfortunately I can't look right now. Boat's in storage for a couple of weeks until my next trip. I will look then. Thanks for the input!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cx21 Pro View Post
    Do you have a plate on the bottom of the jack plate that limits water coming up in the middle of the?
    I would get one if you don’t, it will help on hole shot some. I have seen people inflate a basketball back there to keep water from coming up so bad.
    Last edited by CaymasRodney; 10-29-2021 at 12:01 AM.

7. Member
    Get the hole shot plate. I ran this boat the last 2 years testing and playing with them. This boat does bring in water at transom splash well more than any other boat ive had. Many of us found the plate really helped this. To me its a must item for my boat.Seems to be the nature of the build. Good luck.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaymasRodney View Post
    I would get one if you don’t, we’ll help on hole shot some. I have seen people inflate a basketball back there to keep water from coming up so bad.
    I have one.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cx21 Pro View Post
    I have one.
    Was referring to the OP.