Anyone have this happen before?

2008 merc 200 optimax serial # 1B528560.
    Took the boat up to the lake to see if all of the electrical system was working today and something happened? Boat ran fine for the first run I took it easy because I was checking everything out because all the work I have done. Made sure lights, horn, bilge pumps graph's etc. Started it back up after about 45 mins to head for the dock and holy smokes something was WAY WRONG!! It sounded like is was only running on 2 cyls. Alarm went off and the motor was just making a god awful racket. I shut if it off immediately and dropped the trolling motor and started cruising. I could smell fuel really strong by the motor. I trimmed it up to see if there was anything wrong on the outside and fuel started pouring out between the cowling and lower part by the front latch. I got it home pulled the cowling and this is what I found right off the bat. Fuel/Air sensor assembly had come apart. I hope that is all that's wrong so here's my ? Would this make it run like S8&T??
    Any thoughts. It looks like I can just reseal where it seperated. Also would this leave air in the system?
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    08 198VX Ranger Comanche w/200 Opti Finally!

2. Member
    It is a must
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

Is that part a fuel/air or a fuel/water assembly? I'm getting two different part names

8M0021043 SENSOR ASSEMBLY, Fuel and Water

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    8M0021043 SENSOR ASSEMBLY, Fuel and Water
    +1

REPLACE the original part with this replacement part number. Strongly recommend the fuel filter be removed to allow you to observe for any debris INSIDE the housing as well.

Simply completes a circuit to ground when there is water in the fuel filter chamber (at or above the sensor prongs).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Yea I thought it would be better to get a new one. I took your hint and pulled the filter and found two big chunks of the glue or whatever held that thing together. Should I go further looking for debris? The filter is 5 mths old and only been run for about 1 hr max so I checked it and it's clean. Is gas the culprit in breaking down the glue and finally just let go? The VST is under pressure correct? That's why I saw all the fuel dumping out.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Remove the debris, install the new sensor, reinstall the filter (lube orings carefully with 2-4-C) and pump primer bulb firm.

CLEAN UP ALL SPILLED FUEL FROM INSIDE COWLING (good idea to remove lower cowlings and clean adapter plate and rubber seal/lip). Remember: SAFETY. Leaking fuel or fuel vapors carry with them a risk of FIRE or EXPLOSION.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Will do.
    Thanks for the help.