The Month of November.....

Just from what I have gathered from being here....not to many people are aware or believe in purgatory. Next month is the month (Nov. 2 especially), is dedicated to all souls day. A day where Christians commemorate and pray for the souls in purgatory. I say Christians because there are some Christians other than Catholic that believe and know it to exist. On All Souls Day, there are many souls released from Purgatory and go to Heaven. The only other day where more souls leave purgatory is the day Christ was born.

There is a church in Rome that houses material that has been "left" by people who are in purgatory. This film shows some of it. I have 4 books on purgatory and believe you me it has been an eye opener. Have always believed in purgatory but now....have a deeper reflection as to what it is.

For some here, I understand how this can be a "horse pill" to swallow but folks....purgatory is as real as it gets. If it wasn't for God's mercy, letting it be known, many people would just let it dissipate. As with heaven and hell...there are different levels in purgatory. Different levels of suffer (cleansing) that a soul under goes.

Hopefully we can get a discussion started in regards to Purgatory.

Based on what I have found to be true....in any given day there are more people dying and entering purgatory than their are people dying and entering heaven. Just a fact....
    Last edited by drifter106; 10-25-2021 at 07:11 PM. Reason: ADDED CLIP
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    O blood and water which gush forth from the heart of Jesus, have mercy on us
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

2. Member
    I noticed in the video he quotes 1 Corinthians 3:15................... to represent/establish purgatory

Maybe he should read a few verses down and get the context .

18 Do not deceive yourselves. If any of you think you are wise by the standards of this age, you should become “fools” so that you may become wise.

Eschatology matters

3. Member
    2nd Mac is not in the protestant bible.....................

4. Member
    What age is 1 Corinthians 3 speaking about ?

5. Member
    R.C. is nicer than me....................... I know why the translators translated the Greek word "Aion" and used the English word "world", it is because all people have a bias / slant towards their version of eschatology. Thankfully the the New King James Bible has corrected that mess.

Quote Originally Posted by godsdozer View Post
    I noticed in the video he quotes 1 Corinthians 3:15................... to represent/establish purgatory

Maybe he should read a few verses down and get the context .

18 Do not deceive yourselves. If any of you think you are wise by the standards of this age, you should become “fools” so that you may become wise.

Eschatology matters
    I did myself.... 15 had its own, talking about purgatory
    16,17 had their own, talking about hell
    18 thru 20. had nothing to do with either of the above mentioned dialogues

Am I missing your point?

7. Member
    The only thing I recall about purgatory is a book written by Dante Alighieri, the Divine Comedy. All soul day on Nov 2 is a tradition that I see being celebrated by other religious believes, but with different purpose and intent.

BTW, the catholic church exploited their believers for many yrs with monetary 'prayer contributions' to elevate their loved once to heaven from purgatory, which growing up in an Italian family, I have seen first hand.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by drifter106 View Post
    Just from what I have gathered from being here....not to many people are aware or believe in purgatory. Next month is the month (Nov. 2 especially), is dedicated to all souls day. A day where Christians commemorate and pray for the souls in purgatory. I say Christians because there are some Christians other than Catholic that believe and know it to exist. On All Souls Day, there are many souls released from Purgatory and go to Heaven. The only other day where more souls leave purgatory is the day Christ was born.

There is a church in Rome that houses material that has been "left" by people who are in purgatory. This film shows some of it. I have 4 books on purgatory and believe you me it has been an eye opener. Have always believed in purgatory but now....have a deeper reflection as to what it is.

For some here, I understand how this can be a "horse pill" to swallow but folks....purgatory is as real as it gets. If it wasn't for God's mercy, letting it be known, many people would just let it dissipate. As with heaven and hell...there are different levels in purgatory. Different levels of suffer (cleansing) that a soul under goes.

Hopefully we can get a discussion started in regards to Purgatory.

Based on what I have found to be true....in any given day there are more people dying and entering purgatory than their are people dying and entering heaven. Just a fact....
    If you give enough money to the priest, doesn't that get uncle Charlie in?
    Last edited by rexico; 10-27-2021 at 07:50 AM.

9. Member
    Johann Tetzel (1465 in Pirna – 11 August 1519) was a Dominican preacher accused of selling indulgences and known for a couplet attributed to him: "As soon as a coin in the coffer rings / the soul from purgatory springs."

my edit : drifter this is not a diss about Catholics....................... plenty of Protestant's as guilty or more guilty..................
    Last edited by godsdozer; 10-26-2021 at 10:22 PM.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by godsdozer View Post
    Johann Tetzel (1465 in Pirna – 11 August 1519) was a Dominican preacher accused of selling indulgences and known for a couplet attributed to him: "As soon as a coin in the coffer rings / the soul from purgatory springs."
    Ding Ding Ding. There more it comes in the more cathedrals could be built.
    BTW, during that era, 'priests' of that period were allowed to marry and have large families to whom the estate would be left to upon their death, which at some couple centuries later, the church decided to stop priest from marring. What a shame that instead of correcting the ongoing problem, they created a bigger one.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    Ding Ding Ding. There more it comes in the more cathedrals could be built.
    BTW, during that era, 'priests' of that period were allowed to marry and have large families to whom the estate would be left to upon their death, which at some couple centuries later, the church decided to stop priest from marring. What a shame that instead of correcting the ongoing problem, they created a bigger one.
    pedophiles / homosexual ?

12. Member
    I would say that those would be the tip of the iceberg.

13. Banned
    Purgatory is an example of what you can make people believe if you indoctrinate them at a very young age.

14. Member
    In theory, Abraham's bosom, which was seens as a partition of Sheol, could have given the illusion of purgatory, but even that would have ceased after the resurrection, since Christ descended into hell addressing this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    The only thing I recall about purgatory is a book written by Dante Alighieri, the Divine Comedy. All soul day on Nov 2 is a tradition that I see being celebrated by other religious believes, but with different purpose and intent.

BTW, the catholic church exploited their believers for many yrs with monetary 'prayer contributions' to elevate their loved once to heaven from purgatory, which growing up in an Italian family, I have seen first hand.
    Wasn't aware of that...I was under the impression that indulgences (and their still alive and working today) was for your each individual and their situation. Totally agree that back when the Catholic Church was "making money" selling indulgences....that was flat ass wrong! I think everybody here will agree that the Catholic Church has done some "stupid" things that I consider to be rooted in sin. Some of the crap that the Pope is saying and doing does not reflect on the true meaning of Catholicism. Prophecy has shown that evil will infiltrate the Church and eventually you will see bishops against bishops, priest against priests. Does anybody think otherwise? Some of the shenanigans that the pre medieval Popes did were sinful in my mind.

Those men who join the Jesuits order of priests are more inclined to be people who fall into sin by their actions and behavior. You think its just a coincidence that the current Pope is a Jesuit? Birds of a feather flock together sometimes.

Gonna be hard to have a Pope elected that was as good as Pope John Paul II was. When the smoke clears, it will be a completely different scenario.