1997 Mariner 175 efi reed replacement

Motor is 1997 175 efi 0g549797
    Just looking for a step by step or basic instructions on replacing reeds. Any critical things to do or not look over when doing this? Motor is premixed so when im done do i just fill vst with primer bulb and good to go?
    Ordered chris carson sport reeds and the gaskets he recommended while doing reeds.

Quote Originally Posted by jtipton91 View Post
    Motor is 1997 175 efi 0g549797
    Just looking for a step by step or basic instructions on replacing reeds. Any critical things to do or not look over when doing this? Motor is premixed so when im done do i just fill vst with primer bulb and good to go?
    Ordered chris carson sport reeds and the gaskets he recommended while doing reeds.

I'd lap the cages while its apart so you've got a good flat surface to seal on. "DO NOT" over tighten Reed screws, constantly verify that your reeds are flat/flush to the cage surface when tightening reed screws. Highly Recommend the use of Loctite on Reed & Cage screws. Yes on the fill the VST. A Merc manual would come in handy for this project.
    Gary

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.......

S.W. Ohio

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikon Man View Post
    I'd lap the cages while its apart so you've got a good flat surface to seal on. "DO NOT" over tighten Reed screws, constantly verify that your reeds are flat/flush to the cage surface when tightening reed screws. Highly Recommend the use of Loctite on Reed & Cage screws. Yes on the fill the VST. A Merc manual would come in handy for this project.
    Thankyou. I appreciate any advice. I do have a manual as well

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Believe there is a basic tutorial for reed cage lapping in the FAQ Section.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Well ended up diving in, everythings put back together bow. Found 3 or 4 chipped and cracked reeds.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Just be sure to perform a complete Sync-n-Link procedure, and make sure the fuel that's primed into the fuel system is PREMIXED (until you're certain oil system is bled).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Yep did all that. Motor is pre mixed already