Thread: lost 3d

lost 3d

I have a Ranger Icon with Lowrance Carbon 16 and 12, as well as active target and 3D imaging. Recently, my 3D stuff has stopped working, it was intermittent for a while, but now sidescan, 3D down imaging, etc. have all stopped working. This is first Lowrance system I've had, always been a Hummingbird user, but this all came on the boat. All lights are on on 3D box and hub, update sees the 3D stuff, and can download updates, but they will not install.
    I've checked power, all seems ok, transducer seems ok, even took one off my sons boat that we know works, and nothing. Took it to local dealer, they played around a while and reset something in power under the dash and seemed to work for a few minutes and then stopped again. I've done hard and soft resets, checked cables and power points for kinks or abrasion, and generally looked over the whole system that I can access. Have to take half the boat apart to get to all this stuff buried under the dash.
    Out of ideas, and so far Lowrance has not been helpful, only want photos of the screens, and of course, being blank, they show nothing.
    Anyone seen anything like this before?
    Thanks,
    MWS

2. Member
    Common issue bad ethernet cable.

3. Member
    how to determine which one is bad?

4. Member
    I had to turn in my crystal ball when I retired from the Army so don't know if I can be any more help than Lowrance Tech Support. Nobody will be able to provide constructive help if we can't visualize your setup and see what you are seeing. Are your screens really blank? Or do they say "No Source"? Do they show the data on the outer edges, or the centerline representing the boat? Do they show the range markings?

The ethernet cable to question is the one between the 3D StructureScan box, and your HDS unit it connects to. These are easy to break internally if they are not properly anchored or if they were pulled through the boat too hard.

You said it worked for a while after getting it back from the dealer but then quit...are the lights still indicating it is working properly as described in the manual? If so the problem must be in the ethernet cable. Swap it out with one you know is good.

Your frustration at how difficult it is to get to the box and cables is why guys like me mount our units in accessible locations, like in my starboard rod locker where it is protected, easy to see and troubleshoot, and easy to anchor all the cables properly. Maybe this is also why I have never had any problems with my units.

The people on this site want to help, but we need something to work with. Taking screenshots is always the best way for us to see what you are seeing, but at least a good photo helps.
    ciao,
    Marc

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephens View Post
    how to determine which one is bad?
    By replacing them one by one.

6. Member
    All done at Ranger Factory. I have a carbon 16 in the dash, and 3d box as well. Front is a carbon 12 and Active target box mounted behind the 12, inside the bulkhead. Inside the dash is the nema 2000 backbone as well. There is a factory power strip under there all is plugged into. All lights are on as shown in manual. It stopped. On me last spring in A Guntersville tournament, but worked next day. Have had on again, off again issues since. The active target is routed to 3d box as well, and I have removed and reseated the cabling multiple times, as well as checking power supply and lights. I ordered a new yellow connector ethernet cable yesterday, will.open it all.up tomorrow.
    All this stuff is flush mounted either inside or on face of dash /panels, so literally pulling open large portion of console with hundreds of wires and connections buried in there. I am an electrical engineer, so I understand the issues, but I am not.familiar with. Lowrance hardware and idiosyncrasies, I used some eagle.stuff.in.late 70s, but been a Hummingbird guy ever since. I know how to fix those, but this one is driven me nuts, as I canno find the source. Having all. Kinds of issues with Mercury interface as well, particularly fuel level feeding Lowrance screen. Tech in the shop.reset something under dash and it worked for a couple of minutes and stopped again.
    This install looks good, but to access anything is a royal psi. Not to mention, I'm 6'4, 285 with hands the size of pie plates, so really hard to get in there.

7. Member
    Sorry I got wound up. I can see and select the 3d transducer, but screen is blank. All 3d stuff does not work, but source is there and selected. All 3d options are turned on in menus. No 3d on 12 0r 16. Active target works on both units. Through hull transducer works on both units, as does trolling motor transducer. All this is routed through the 3d box, acting as a hub. Only 3d functions don't work. All lights are on as shown in manual. There is only 1 yellow to yellow wire from 3 d box to carbon 16, and every function runs through it. Tech reset power supply to nema 2000 backbone and it seemed to run, but we were in shop over concrete, so it may or may not have done anything better. Once I get new cable, I'll open it all up again, probably Saturday, and recheck all connections. I need to run it, tournament again on Nov 13 (I coach a high school fishing team) and captian a boat. Still messing with props, but that is a whole other conundrum with a 2018 250 pro XS gutless wonder.

8. Member
    It is always tough working under the console of a bassboat, especially with all the electronics we have. I have trouble getting my hands into access ports and they are probably nowhere near as big as yours.

It really would be helpful if you took a screenshot of your 3D Screen so we can see exactly what you see. It is much easier than taking your console apart...just press the power button and the pages buttons at the same time, go to your files and copy the screenshot to your microSD card, then use your computer to post the image. Or, take a photo with your camera and post it. The words "blank screen" could mean different things to different people, which makes troubleshooting difficult. Apparently your box is working properly at least as an ethernet hub.

Let me also ask you...did you install update 20.3 to your 3D StructureScan, and also the 20.3 to your Active Target, and also the 20.3 for each of your Carbons (and LIVES if you have any)? Three separate updates even though they are all 20.3. All units including the 3D StructureScan and Active Target must be on the same software to work properly.
    ciao,
    Marc

9. Member
    If 3DSS box is the hub between units and Active Target, and it works on both units, and both units are able to view transducers that are connected to the other unit, this does not sound like an Ethernet cable issue.

Double check all firmware versions, 3D ducer to 3D box connections... when 3DSS is the selected source and you get the "black screen", does it have say "NO SOURCE" across the center?
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

10. Member
    I did 20.3 update, no problems. When I select sides an, lss3 transducer is selected, but nothing on screen. When it works, there is the line drawn down the middle, with bottom image on both sides. Now, I get nothing, I can change to another transducer, not 3d of course, and the image starts to draw on the screen, but only get a solid yellow.line with no data or images. There is an update for the transducer that I downloaded, but it will not install. Rained past 2 days, and I no space large enough to get this 22' boat into under a roof. Hopefully, I can pull covet tomorrow and do some more research. I've got done other maintenance stuff to do as well. Feel a little better, had 6 medial branch blocks in my low back yesterday, it's a mess, 5 surgical procedures since 2013 trying to now avoid a 3 level fusion. At any rate, I did pick up some spare cabling I'll recheck cables again. There is a guy up in Huntsville, (I'm in Birmingham) that wants to sell a complete 3d system for $200, installed but not used and now on his work bench. I may pick it up for parts at that price. It seems to be a fault or short in the 3d box if I had to guess at this point, because everything else is working except 3d.

11. Member
    Both units and module should be on the same software version. Then, while on the water, go to Pages and select Structure. Don’t worry if it’s not working. Shut the unit down properly. Turn it back on after 20-30 seconds. Structure should now be working. Mine did this for quite awhile. I have now redone my power supply from a new battery to a Blue Seas fuse box and all electronics get power there. I have not seen the Structure issue since doing this. So I made the assumption it was related to power. However, before doing it, the operation I described could usually be counted on to work. Once on Structure, you can go to any other page and come back and it will still be working. Just remember to shut down while on the Structure page.

NoCAL

BTW Marc, Angler West did a show on Columbia river SMB this morning. Incredible fishery. I need to go up there. Bucket list
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    BTW Marc, Angler West did a show on Columbia river SMB this morning. Incredible fishery. I need to go up there. Bucket list
    It is phenominal, and is worth the trip. I will have to watch the show...still in SoCAL today and tomorrow and will be passing by your house on Monday on the way back home.

Let me know when you are ready to come up and I will take care of you.
    ciao,
    Marc

13. Member
    Stop by Woodland if you have time!
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

14. Member
    Found 2 bare wires in the harness that were intermittent shorts. One had about an inch of exposed wire (black) and one (red) had a cut off butt connector on it with some exposed wire on either end. Have no idea what it goes to or from. Clipped off the exposed wires and taped them over and problem went away. I have not and idea how this came to be unless something was removed or rerouted in the rigging of the boat at Ranger. No one has been in the dash wiring from the factory, but this seems to explain a number of intermittent issues related to battery drain and Lowrance /mercury monitor issues. More if I can determine the history.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephens View Post
    Found 2 bare wires in the harness that were intermittent shorts. One had about an inch of exposed wire (black) and one (red) had a cut off butt connector on it with some exposed wire on either end. Have no idea what it goes to or from. Clipped off the exposed wires and taped them over and problem went away. I have not and idea how this came to be unless something was removed or rerouted in the rigging of the boat at Ranger. No one has been in the dash wiring from the factory, but this seems to explain a number of intermittent issues related to battery drain and Lowrance /mercury monitor issues. More if I can determine the history.
    Good, glad you found the problem!
    ciao,
    Marc