Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How is your season going so far?

Haven’t seen yo guys post many success stories I have killed one doe so far. I let another one and a yote walk on Saturday. I was drawn on the yote twice but let down once I could smell the sucker I haven’t seen a buck close to me yet of any size but I mostly hunt for meat and not bone anyway. Honestly I may not kill a buck again unless it’s a monster.

How you guys doing?

My son here in Ohio killed a his first horned buck an 8 point 2 weeks ago. He has always got does and button bucks so it was exiting for him was not a monster but in his eyes it was.

3. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Just got done a little trip to MD Eastern Shore. Killed 3 does, 2 with the bow and 1 with the muzzleloader. Brings my total to 6 on the year. Next week I go down for the pre rut/rut.
    Thanos was the hero

My brother and I both got antelope about 100 yards apart 5 minutes apart. Pretty tasty summer sausage! A few pheasants are in the fridge waiting to become enchiladas.

5. T Dub
    Killed a good size doe right at daybreak, but by the time I got to it it had turned into a 40lb fawn

Seeing some chasing of does here in Indiana. it's getting started.

7. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by T Dub View Post
    Killed a good size doe right at daybreak, but by the time I got to it it had turned into a 40lb fawn
    Did you throw it over your shoulder and carry it to the truck

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    Have had several bucks under me, on close to 150" (kinda regret not taking) but I'm holding out for one specific 170+!
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

9. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Nothing much here. Still in upper 80’s. Bunch of small stuff. No shooter on camera yet.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

10. T Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post
    Did you throw it over your shoulder and carry it to the truck
    My friend/landowner sure did. I was pretty embarrassed I have done this several times now. I’m gonna have to stop shooting lone deer.

My friend/landowner sure did. I was pretty embarrassed I have done this several times now. I’m gonna have to stop shooting lone deer.
    They are a bit harder to distinguish when running solo. I always look at the head. Mature doe will have a long head, while a yearling will be short and blocky.

I’ve seen turkeys, one coyote, and a lone doe this week out of my stand. Weather has been lousy. Hot and windy for the first two days, then rain and one cooler day. Forecasting thunderstorms for tomorrow and Thursday. Windy today, and I’m hoping it lays down a bit late afternoon. I’m in a good spot, just need the right conditions.

In eastern Oklahoma, by the way.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

12. Member
    Been in the tree 3 times an have seen deer all 3 sits got two good deer I’m after. But the first doe that comes in bow range will be shot I want some jerky pretty bad lol.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adchunts View Post
    They are a bit harder to distinguish when running solo. I always look at the head. Mature doe will have a long head, while a yearling will be short and blocky.
    Little Bambi's are usually still with momma this time of year unless someone already whacked the momma. Then you need to learn to recognize head shape like adchunts says. I usually describe a fawn's head shape as a teardrop.

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    RoadrashPaul -I posted some pics in the other thread.
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

15. Member
    Knocked a decent one down in PA Monday. Frankly, my season had been a grind up to that point.
    249217181_4945235305564730_2000356510371659402_n1.jpg

16. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnleo View Post
    Knocked a decent one down in PA Monday. Frankly, my season had been a grind up to that point.
    249217181_4945235305564730_2000356510371659402_n1.jpg
    Nice one. Congrats It's always surprising when I see how much larger bodied the deer are up north compared to what we get around here.

Seen deer every sit except for one afternoon while the moon was full...lots of buck activity and action....does not interested at all....too early for that ..seen a couple good bucks but nothing I've wanted to shoot yet...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

18. Member
    I shot a decent buck yesterday on gameland. Last saturday at lunchtime I intended to check a ladder stand by the honey hole on the property I hunt, and came up on a bunch a damn hogs. A sow, a bunch a piglets...Again.
    They ran when they saw me but then the sow stopped like she wanted to hold her ground. smoked her ass right there. I go into my honey hole in July to get it set up - make sure shooting lanes are clear and get the mineral site freshened up. Then I stay out until the rut. I hate having gone in that area and shooting up a hog. We'll see how it goes.
    Last edited by djb750; 10-28-2021 at 04:47 PM.
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

19. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Been in the woods 3 times since season started October 1. Have one shooter showing up on my property and another descent buck showing up on another property I hunt but do not own. Still have some meat in the freezer from last year so going to leave the doe alone for now. Hunted Tuesday morning and had a little 4 point come in and hangout within 10 yards of me for quite some time. Hoping his big brother or Grandpa make an appearance soon!
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

Update: after the abysmal conditions this week, I finally managed to put a big doe in the freezer. This has been the worse weather for muzzleloader season in a long, long time. Ending my hunt today, and heading home tomorrow. Three more weeks and I will be on one of my bucket list hunts (Nilgai).
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast