Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizzou211 View Post
    True Statement. My son was born a couple years ago...he's a freshman at K-State now. Best things I did:
    Must be one smart kid to be in college and only being a few years old ??

2. Member
    Were you married in a church?
    Have you been back?
    Even if they don't stick to it and its teaching, sunday school is enjoyed by most kids, they may outgrow it but in the back of their mind there will always be that little voice....
    I'm not overtly religious but it shouldn't hurt.
    Clean up your language, he will learn soon enough from his associates.
    Get some childrens BOOKS.
    Read them to him at bedtime, point at the pictures, give objects names, he will say them too.
    Teach him how to swim.
    Love his mother, and show it.
    In a couple of months you will learn by looking at him the look of just before he pees or poops. If possible, get him a kids potty, take his diaper off and congratulate him when he uses it.

3. Member
    A boat and camping gear !!!!!!! Spend some QUALITY TIME with him/her !!!!! And give Mom a break from BOTH of you !!!!

4. Member
    I can only offer one piece of advise and that is that spending time with your child should be your top priority. There is nothing you could give them that is more valuable than your time. Making time to eat dinner together even though it can be difficult. Taking an interest in the things that interest them. Being there to just listen some times. Not being afraid to correct them or call them out if they are heading down the wrong path. All of those things matter.
    2009 Tracker Pro 170 TX - Mercury 40 HP EFI

5. Member
    Dont spend your kids life at work.It goes by quick and then they are gone.Spend as much time with your kids as possible.

My wife told me once kids are little adults - I shared that their brain can’t process the complex, so, they’re not either.

1. They’re not your friend, they’re your responsibility to teach and prepare for life.
    2 Teach them and allow them to deal with adversity. Too many parents “fix” their kids problems and raise adults that can’t process solutions. They’ll need you to be life’s referee forever if they’re not taught.
    3. Kids can’t understand nuance. A child’s mind functions in black & white - never grey. Yes/ no - never maybe. Consistency, between both parents, will save you so much conflict between you & wife as well as cuts down on child correction.
    4. They’re human tape recorders. Whatever comes out of your mouth will theirs as well. You are their behavior instructor.
    5. Love unconditionally. I can hear my mom’s voice in my head saying “ I love you - but you can’t do that”. Disappointing parents should be worse than any spanking or yelling.
    6. Kids learn what they see. You’re training them to be someone’s husband or wife. Pay closer attention to your behavior and your relationships.
    7. Forget self - you’re Daddy for a short time. Make the best of it. You can go back to having needs when they’re grown.

7. Member
    My son is currently 3. So here's some tips.

1. Stock up on sleep now. You will not be sleeping a solid 8 hours for the next few years.
    2. Take lots of pictures. They grown and change weekly. It's crazy to look back even a month or two and see the ways that they have changed.
    3. Don't buy a million toys until they're old enough to understand, imagine, and be mobile.
    4. Go Pro's are great for when you're in the hospital. Pull it out and take a quick video during labor and delivery, or as each new family/friend meets your little guy for the first time. Makes for great memories and you can use it on the boat as well (and your wife will likely not think a thing about it).
    5. For birthdays and holidays, don't be afraid to ask for money/donations (for college, etc) rather than toys and clothes. You can easily find yourself with more clothes/toys than you can use and the money would be better spent for education or whatever else may be needed later in life.

8. Member
    My mother taught me 3 basic rules for raising kids. One, no means no. Two, one smack on the ass is discipline, two is abuse. Three, love your kids enough to let them hate you once in a while. She also taught me to cook, sew, iron, and wash clothes.

My my dad taught me his three rules as well. One, never hit a girl. Ever. Two, defend kids smaller than you. Three, under no circumstances are you ever allowed to sass your mother. Dad also taught me to play ball, box, hunt, fish and swim.

Both parents adhered to the philosophy that it that it doesn’t hurt anything if your kids think you are a little bit crazy. Keeps them on their toes. They also agreed that boys were easier to raise than girls, there just harder to keep alive.

9. Member
    Having raised 3 here is what I can say from a financial standpoint. Not only start college funds choose them wisely. Just putting money away each month will not come close to covering the cost of College. Start a savings plan for their sports, yes for their sports. The average cost of playing baseball a year is $3,000. Other sports are in line with at as well. If you see them going the elite route the cost is more like 8-10K. Kids are cheap till about the age 7 then the costs add up.

Other tips. Take plenty of pictures and movies and organize them by year. Have a large rubber maid bin for you to just throw collectables in .

10. Member
    Your child will have a core group of friends and you should know all of them and their families. Yes you can pick their friends.

If they have a small core group that think alike they will keep out the trouble makers. Peer pressure is a strong motivator.

Hug them and tell them you love them everyday and mean it.

Punishment by pain compliance is not the goal. Its not the punishment as much as it is the certainty of consequence for their actions.
    Let them make decisions and choices. Yes they will make mistakes but they will learn more from that than you making their ever decision.

Try and never miss one of their "games" , they know when you are not their.

Good luck and enjoy every day with them.

11. Member
    I put $150 a month away for each kid in a 529. It really piles up after a decade or 2. 1 didn't go to college, 1 took a year off and is just starting a 2 yr program, the 3rd now has a pile of money available if he goes...or I have a pretty good sized lake house fund.

Don't push your activities on them. Let them choose if they want to do a sport or activity. You can introduce them to it, but don't make them do it for a year or more just because you liked it when you were young. Also, kids that don't have after school activities have parents with a ton more free time. My daughter di bball for most of a season and volleyball for 2 or 3. I took her to all her practices and watched them all, and never missed a game. The boys never played anything. I have friends who have kids in multiple activities and they are always going everywhere and never have a free weekend. I enjoyed watching my daughter play, but I also am enjoying not having activities all the time.

12. Member
    sleep now

13. Member
    Right before my son was born, I told myself it would probably be awhile before she would want any sex, he’s thirty now.

14. Member
    1) Spend as much time as you can with him as you can. The grow up too fast.
    2) Take more pictures and videos than you ever thought possible. Later in life you will wish you had.
    3) It's going to be stressful at times for everyone. Make sure set aside time for everyone to relax and unwind.

15. Member
    The deer, fish, truck, grass, bowling league, or whatever can wait! Your wife and son will need you more than your partner for the next tourney. I scaled way back, but still fished just not as much. Become comfortable with the baby, because she will also need a break and dont be afraid to ask for help! We have a third on the way, complete suprise, but man there is nothing like them calling you daddy! You will be their hero so live up to it!

1. Have gripe water, gas drops, colic ease, rice for milk, probiotics, all on hand. They will cry and hopefully one will work.
    2. Be careful who you let hold your baby. Make sure they are clean and not sick, its not covid that scares me, but RSV both of mine had it and its pitiful to see them and both ended up needing a day in the hospital.
    3. Don't be afraid to call in reinforcements! The Grandmothers and Papa's are actually waiting by the phone for the call!
    4. Start something to create a memory and maybe a passion. I bought each of mine a gun to hand down. I will teach them to shoot with it and use it, but it will belong to them when they turn of age. The little boy has a Glock 19 and the little girl a SW 38 Revolver.
    5. Your life is going to change and your priorities! Embrace it, enjoy it, and live it, because nothing compares to their first fish, first bb gun, learning to ride a bike or write their name.
    6. Let that baby sleep on your chest! In a year they want fit anymore and there is just something about it that will calm you.
    7. Your going to screw up and make the wrong decision! It doesnt mean you screwed them up they never tell you that you will grow up more than the kid!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12