Keeing the old girl for a while longer

I was going to sell my old 2001 TR 19 and buy brand new but with the supply chain whacked...prices what they are....I am gonna fix her up and keep for another year or so.

I have been working alot with Carol the Parts Mom at C and O Marine (awesome lady...seriously). I am getting all the new fake wood grain panels to replace the old everywhere they have in stock. I will get all new gauges, going to totally rewire boat this winter (21 years old...preventative maintenance). I am going to upgrade electronics big time as I still run 2 of the gen 1 HDS7's that still work but my old eyes needs alot bigger screens. I hope to get a spot lock TM soon, not decided on Ultrex or Ghost.

I have already planned to recarpet the trailer and time to recarpet the boat once again.....this time going with alot better carpet than the 20 oz I used 6 yrs ago that is not holding up, not saying where I bought it. I am sending off my ECM to get rebuilt, again, and will take my boat to the mechanic to totally go thru the power head and see if there is life left in the old girl. No new boat motors seem to be in stock and the price of them is ...holy crap. A new powerhead maybe in order. I am in the catch 22 on spit shining this turd or buying new. For me, with supply and demand, prices, things out of stock..... I will keep this paid for boat, upgrade it and fish alot in 2022.

I don't find any flaws in your logic. A new shiny boat is great but a $65K+ price tag is a hard pill to swallow. My wife and I have been looking to replace her Honda Accord with a new Ford Expedition (because we have had too many dang kids!) but that is also going to be about the same price as a new bass boat! If we can't bring ourselves to be ok with that price for something we really need, I don't think I'll ever be able to convince her that I need a new boat.

I think your idea to replace the carpet and upgrade the trolling motor are great ideas that will help when it does come time to sell the boat. I just put an Ultrex on mine in 2020. I've talked to lots of guys that were selling their boats and anyone that still had a traditional cable steer trolling motor seemed to have trouble selling the boat. They would get calls from folks but everyone seemed to be really hung up on the fact that the boat didn't have a trolling motor that could spot lock. I think that's asinine but then again, now that I have one, I can't believe I went so many years with it.
    2007 Triton TR-21X w/ Pro XS 250
    6" T&H Hi Jacker w/ 2" spacers
    26P Tempest

3. Member
    Went through the same thing with my ‘98 tr19. Started with new 175 pro xs in ‘17. New aluminum trailer in 19 and a Ghost and new Lowrance
    electronics this year. Only thing left to replace is the seats. Love the boat that I bought new

4. Member
    Feel the same way as you. Been having the itch for a new boat; but the price of a new one is not something I’m going to do. Going to freshen up my 02 TR21 and keep on running her.

5. Member
    Nothing wrong with fixing up the ole girl. There have been tons of innovations to things "on" a bass boat in the last decades, but the hulls and deck layouts are still pretty much as they were 20 years ago. That Triton hull should last another 20 years. Your gonna notice the improvements in the new electronics. Your gonna really like spot lock. I don't know exactly when they came out with it, but the steering systems that take the prop torque out of the steering wheel was a big improvement. If yours is still duel cable steering with the torque, I would look into swapping it out. Sounds like your gonna have plenty of boat projects to make the winter go bye a little faster. I like boat projects

Quote Originally Posted by chatabass View Post
    If yours is still duel cable steering with the torque, I would look into swapping it out. Sounds like your gonna have plenty of boat projects to make the winter go bye a little faster. I like boat projects
    I have the original Sea Star that came with it. IF I keep the boat longer than a year I can see adding new steering and a hyd JP.

I love the idea of a new alum trailer or a new C channel trailer period. My original single axle still going strong but it is a single axle only and I prefer a dual.

My list of wants so far does not include a new motor and that is about 18k alone for the motor. That would be about 30k all total if I did everything I wanted and I think that would be $$ I would never see again if I ever sold it so I have to really think about this and do things smart. The TR 19 is a good, fast hull for sure and will be fine. On a good day with the original 2001 Merc 200 EFI I have seen 70 solo. I bet a new 4 stroke Merc 200 set up right would be 70 plus easy and alot better on gas. I have had it in very skinny water and very rough water. I got wet, it will beat me to death....but I get back to the ramp safe. New boat bug is almost as hard as being a drug addict trying to hop off the drugs I can only imagine........LOL.

Funny thing is I started a fishing lure making business to pay for my new boat. I guess I can not worry about that making $$ as much for a while.

8. Member
    The new 4 strokes are good motors, but I think you are thinking correctly on the engine and the pricing. I would only add the new motor if I planned on keeping the boat for quiet a bit longer. Whatever you do, don't go to a boat show this winter, the new boat bug will flame up again

9. Member
    The prices I find at boat shows and showrooms quickly kill the "the new boat bug" for me, same way with fish finders and trolling motors to much money.
    Rocket