Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    With fuel prices rising the days of drying down crops are going to get very painfull.

Wow...A lot of farmers on here during the daytime....

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by blade1970 View Post
    Can't harvest when the fields are wet. I'm listening to my midwest field rep give his report right now about how miserable the conditions are in Illinois and Indiana right now. Its not good at all and fertilizer prices are through the roof.

4. Member

I'm not a farmer but i grew up on a farm and spent lots of time helping out over the years. I'm retired and old so now i get to go on these sites and tell them how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by idbefishing View Post
    It has been raining here almost everyday for the month of October and it seems most of the fields are not harvested. What happens next? do the crops go bad? how long can they wait?
    Interesting post since I'm 40 miles south of you and feel like it's only rained a couple days here. My home is literally surrounded by corn and most of it was out 2 weeks ago. As a matter of fact most of it was so dry that I commented to Heather that I've hardly heard the dryers running this season which usually run non stop this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    You are comparing someone operating a combine versus hand-labor and hand-harvesting in the dark would be difficult but we could loan them our night-fishing head lamps. And working 17 hour days is pretty rare, even when riding around in the combine and you don't work on Sunday.
    I was joking about the manual labor, but I know that my cousin does average 16-17 hour days 7 days a week during harvest time. he will start at 6 or 7 in the morning and often doesn't leave the farm until after midnight.

7. idbefishing
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    Interesting post since I'm 40 miles south of you and feel like it's only rained a couple days here. My home is literally surrounded by corn and most of it was out 2 weeks ago. As a matter of fact most of it was so dry that I commented to Heather that I've hardly heard the dryers running this season which usually run non stop this time of year.
    That's crazy man, rain so much up here in Boone county. Rained all f...ing day yesterday

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    And working 17 hour days is pretty rare, even when riding around in the combine and you don't work on Sunday.
    Actually not rare at all and more the norm on larger family and corporate farms.

9. idbefishing
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorJJ View Post
    Ok, so I apologize for getting snagged in your first troll. I thought maybe you actually believed using human labor would work. But now you’re just being stupid.
    Now you just figured him out.

10. Member
    Just got over 2” of rain here yesterday. May be able to get back into the field Wednesday and that is if they pull out the 100% chance of they have scheduled for Wednesday.
    1995 Ranger 487VS / 1998 Mercury 200 EFI

One of the problems my dad is running into this year is there was good amount of bean pods opening up and beans falling to the ground. With the warmer than average temps and recent rain, these beans have actually begun to germinate.

Hard to get into fields when they are wet/soft too.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwtaylor View Post
    One of the problems my dad is running into this year is there was good amount of bean pods opening up and beans falling to the ground. With the warmer than average temps and recent rain, these beans have actually begun to germinate.

Hard to get into fields when they are wet/soft too.

How are were his steams, seams like a lot of farmers were dealing with green stems and dry pods.

13. Member
    I'm just impressed you guys got INbass to post--his 2nd in 5 years. Now that's some serious lurking! He must wait for specific farming topics.

J/K post as much or as little as you want.

14. Member
    Yep, you caught me on that one. Normally I just read everything I can to learn because I am not much of a fisherman. There finally happened to be a topic I knew something about!

Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    I'm just impressed you guys got INbass to post--his 2nd in 5 years. Now that's some serious lurking! He must wait for specific farming topics.

J/K post as much or as little as you want.
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed, lol.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

Believe it or not but us dumbs as hillbillies can drive a tractor and use a cell phone at the same time while we are unloading
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    how was the dust????, i know a lot of the corn here has been harvested and cut and it seems like the amount of dust that is typically generated (drives my allergies crazy) was lower and wondered if it was due to moisture content, and while the corn dust is bad, the dust from beans is even worse for me anyway
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

Quote Originally Posted by m.t.hands View Post
    how was the dust????, i know a lot of the corn here has been harvested and cut and it seems like the amount of dust that is typically generated (drives my allergies crazy) was lower and wondered if it was due to moisture content, and while the corn dust is bad, the dust from beans is even worse for me anyway
    But it makes the prettiest sunrises and sunsets.

Quote Originally Posted by rb View Post
    Believe it or not but us dumbs as hillbillies can drive a tractor and use a cell phone at the same time while we are unloading
    New combines do it all, you just sit in the seat.

Quote Originally Posted by m.t.hands View Post
    The dust was really bad this year due to the low moisture. First couple weeks of this month we had unusually warm days in the 70's and 80's which really dried the local crops but the dust clouds were insane.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast