Another NFC x-ray question

Have not built any rods in the last several years, but am looking for something to pass some time this winter. Looking to build a rod for 1/2 to 3/4 oz wobble heads with craw trailers. Have been using my NRX873 or NRX894 for these but they both have other purposes in my arsenal. So am looking to find a X-Ray with a power in between these two or close to a 894. Length I know I can adjust, but looking to stay between 87-90 inches. What do you guys think. Thanks

2. Member
    check out the SJ765 its one of my favorite blanks for many bottom bait / feel bait uses its rated med heavy and i think it is pretty much that power it say a fast tip i think more med fast / not quite moderate. [ts at the top of your length range being 90" but its a light X-ray at 2.4 oz i have built 11 of these for myself and others and everyone including myself have been very happy with the performance. i think this would build nice for you and perform well in the wobble head use your looking to use it for.

3. Member
    Can anyone give some perspective on the SJ725 blank ?
    Is it more of a light heavy action ?
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

4. Member
    Med heavy IMO. Great worm/jig blank.. 1oz blank if memory as serves

5. Member
    on the SJ725 i have built 3 of them for other people but have not used one yet, i have two blanks still i plan to build for myself over the winter. I would agree with jglenn above in that it is a real med heavy NFC tends to rate a little heavy at time meaning they say heavy and its more Med heavy but I would say this is a true Med heavy. I have built two for one person who really likes them in fact he has told me he is going to want at least one more built over the winter for him as well.

The SJ725 would also make a nice wobble head rod if alanhore would rather have a little shorter rod than the 7'6" I talked about above

If you look at the NFC spec's on these two blanks to me it appears that the SJ725 is a SJ765 with 4" cut off the butt end......lure and line ratings are the same, tip size is the same, the butt size is .02 smaller and blank weight is .3 oz lighter I think the two differences is from the 4" off the butt? This is just my thoughts, I really like both these blanks for the type of fishing I do, I said above in my other post that the SJ765 is one of my favorite blanks if you would rather have a 7'2" rod you can go wrong with the SJ725.

There are a few posts on the MB736 and SJ736 blanks which is also a great blanks I have built several of them and own and use three of each but these SJ725 and SJ765 blanks are heavier action than both the 736 blanks and have different application these 4 blanks fill most of my requirements

6. Member
    So the SJ765 is pretty close in power to a NRX894? Dont want a rod much softer than a NRX894.