Thread: AGM Battery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AGM Battery

I have recently ordered a new Ranger Z519 from my local dealer. The boat comes with a Mercury 225 Pro XS 4 stroke. I am aware, thanks to Don's sticky, that Mercury specifies this engine to use an AGM battery with a minimum of 975 CCA's. During the ordering process, I could not get a definitive answer from my dealer as to what cranking battery this boat/engine is going to come with, so I am doing some homework now to be prepared in case it comes with something other than the specified battery. My question is where are you guys finding AGM batteries with at least 975 CCA's? The maximum CCA rating that I have found so far is 925.

Thanks in advance!
    Tommy M

Northstar or X2 31 AGM. Heavy and expensive but worth it.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    Same here, Northstar.

4. Member
    Northstar here too, Batteries + or Odyssey would provide equal quality and performance IMHO.

BATTERIES THAT MEET THE REQUIREMENTS
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Banned
    I installed this https://www.odysseybatteries.com/odyssey/pc2150mst.html as the starting battery on a 250 Pro XS.

6. Member
    Following this. My new boat came with a 925 cca AGM battery. I have 22 hours on it and so far it works fine.

7. Member
    That $400-$500 price is a hard pill to swallow.

8. mikesxpress
    Tommy the best bet is to order the boat without the battery and put in an Odyssey or X2 when it gets to the dealer. Ranger nor the dealership are going to put either one of those batteries in even though they are the best battery for your rig. Another $500 to ensure proper operation of the V8 and your electronics load is miniscule compared to the cost of the new rig. *A jump start switch is a Band-Aid for not having the correct equipment.

9. Scraps
    Yeah, I'd get my own battery. I got an X2, but the Sam's Club Grp 31 Duracell AGM is a good buy.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    I got an X2, but the Sam's Club Grp 31 Duracell AGM is a good buy.
    Not with only 800CCA.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

11. Member
    My 2021 Z19 Pro was delivered with an Odyssey start battery.
    Jim
    Old Guy
    2021 Z19 Pro

12. Member
    Thank you all for your replies. SiverFox579, I had not seen the page, that you linked in your reply, before and it's my mistake that I haven't. I now see that Don linked that page in his sticky "Proper 4 stroke V6 and V8 Battery Selection." That chart, along with everyone's replies, gives me plenty of options to choose from.

My dealer has agreed to "work with me" on an exchange if the boat is delivered to him without a battery that meets Mercury's specs. Again, thank you all for your replies and opinions.
    Tommy M

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Not with only 800CCA.
    It does just fine.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Don't even think about an 800 CCA rated battery for any 150 or higher 4-Stroke that's being used in a fishing application.

Tennessee T: It's unlikely that the boat would show up with something in the 975+ CCA range... AND an AGM (as required). Definitely refer to the list as that gives you many options to choose from.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Don't even think about an 800 CCA rated battery for any 150 or higher 4-Stroke that's being used in a fishing application.
    Current battery specs shipped by boat manufacturer. Three graphs including livescope with aeration running full time with a 200 4 stroke:
    CA 815
    CCA 650
    RC 245

Zero issues during a long, hot La. Summer.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    Current battery specs shipped by boat manufacturer. Three graphs including livescope with aeration running full time with a 200 4 stroke:
    CA 815
    CCA 650
    RC 245

Zero issues during a long, hot La. Summer.

Paul- you're beyond lucky. Doesn't change the requirements and we're not going to recommend this.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

17. Member
    My brand new 2021 Ranger Z518 w/200 Pro XS did come with an AGM cranking battery but at only 800 CCA,I'll be looking for the correct battery in the offseason as I have used this one since picking up at the dealership 7/9/21,unless my dealer can exchange it for me also.

18. Member
    Paul- you're beyond lucky. Doesn't change the requirements and we're not going to recommend this.
    I was seriously bummed when I saw the battery. I even started a thread about it on the BassCat forum. They assured me it was ok. So far, they have been correct. I'll upgrade as soon as I detect an issue. Related question: what harder on a starting battery, optimax or 4 stroke of same HP?
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    A close toss- the larger fourstrokes have electronic shift and throttle, but the Optimax used twice as many injectors (and the coils/injectors/di's were performing at "double duty cycle" rates).

20. Member
    A close toss- the larger fourstrokes have electronic shift and throttle, but the Optimax used twice as many injectors (and the coils/injectors/di's were performing at "double duty cycle" rates).
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast