Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Opinions on my NFC Order

I made my 1st NFC Order the other week and was curious as to your opinions on the blanks that I bought. I'm new to the whole rod building thing and have only built on MHX Mag Bass and CRB blanks so far so I'm excited to try some higher end blanks.

I couldn't pass up getting a SJ736 and MB736 Xray. I also got a MB724 Xray. I'm looking for a blank that excels at light plastics (7" power worms, ring frys, senkos, etc), a rod for 5/16 and 3/8os finesse jigs, and a rod for 1/2oz football jigs and 10" worms. I feel like these rods should work for each technique but I could be way wrong too. What does everyone else say?

2. Member
    I think the SJ736 will be perfect for the light applications and finesse jigs. It’s by far my favorite rod I’ve built on. It’s not a heavy as it’s listed as. To me it’s a true medium heavy with an awesome tip. I’ve built a CRB 6’6ML as my first rod and it’s alright. It’s a great ned rig rod but is not crisp by any means and fishes like a Med-Mod.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    The uses for both of the 6 power blanks are well documented since they have been out long enough now, going to one of the more specific sites for rod building will get you a bunch of info. Google away.

4. Member
    I’m curious about the X-ray MB736 blank
    How much softer is it VS the SJ736 ?
    If it’s similar to the Loomis 843 MBR it’s definitely strictly a moving bait type blank that X-Ray type sensitivity really isn’t necessary.
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

5. Member
    The SJ736 is about 9% more powerful and considerably faster tipped then the MB736, the MB765 NEO is the same jump more powerful and faster, like I said rod building sites have all this info readily available.

6. Member
    I think the SJ736 is a great 1/2 oz jig rod. I think the MB736 is a great 3/8 oz jackhammer rod, but also does well with senkos and texas rigs 3/8 oz or less. I fish braid with leader so it is still plenty fast and very sensitive for bottom contact. You may have a different opinion and yes it is like a loomis MBR 843 in power and more moderate side of fast action.

I just built an MB736 and fished with it on Sunday. The action to me is perfect for my intended use. I'm using it to skip a 1/4 oz football jig head with a finesse worm around and under docks and also just regular casting out in open water. Caught several fish on it yesterday and I'm super pleased with the rod. The action is a bit softer and slower than the SJ736 but not weak by any means. This blank still provides that amazing sensitivity that the x-rays are known for. The rod has a little more of a parabolic bend deeper into the rod's mid-section. I can't wait to try a spinner bait and a jack hammer on it.

8. Member
    I’m not sure where a lot of people are saying that the SJ736 is stiffer than the MB736. Maybe it’s the case now with NFC, but, going by the original Loomis blanks, the SJ stood for “spin jig” while the MB stood for “magnum bass”. The last SJ blank I built was a little softer than the equally numbered MB (been a while). The SJ was slightly lighter, and smaller diameter at the butt than the MB. The MB definitely had more backbone and was my personal choice for worms & jigs.

9. Member
    The SJ736 is definitely a faster action then the MB736.
    The MB736 is a more of a moderate action and the SJ736 is a fast action.
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

10. Banned
    Well my order came in today and they all feel great. My MB736 did come in with the last 1" of the tip damaged imo. It is very rough feeling and has probably a 2.5mm s curve type bend in it. Would you guys try and return it or just say screw it and cut that 1" off?

The MB724 honestly feels like a light MH to me. Ki d of what I was expecting with a M powered rod being rated for 1/4-3/4oz when most M powered rods are 1/4-5/8oz. I'll have to play around with it and see if I feel it'll be a good finesse jig/senko rod or a spinning setup for tubes

I have two MB 736’s that I have the handles built on and I need to get started on the guides but the are straight as an arrow. In the past there has been some issues with crooked/bent blanks from NFC but I have had pretty good luck so far. Out of 20+ blanks, I have had two with small bends but will build on them and didn’t send them back. With that said, I’m just not a fan of shortening from the tip unless you want a catfish rod. You change the whole action and weight, IMO. If it’s crooked and defective enough to cut it at the tip, even to consider that, it’s a return.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

12. Banned
    Here is the best picture I could get of the tip bend
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. Member
    There is nothing wrong with the blank, the blank has such a fine tip and built with high modulus materials, sand the tip, ruin the tip. This is nothing new with high modulus materials, I have some rods over 20 years old that are the same way, really surprised you haven't seen it before, remember this blank hasn't any finish to hide things under.. 2.5 mm bend in tip isn't nothing new either.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by liljakec View Post
    Here is the best picture I could get of the tip bend
    To each his own but to me that's not acceptable. I've built plenty of high modulus blanks going back to when you could buy Loomis to Hi Mod Shikari's to Croix SCV's etc. The only ones that I've ever gotten with tips like that have come from NFC.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    To each his own but to me that's not acceptable. I've built plenty of high modulus blanks going back to when you could buy Loomis to Hi Mod Shikari's to Croix SCV's etc. The only ones that I've ever gotten with tips like that have come from NFC.
    What blanks do you normally use outside of the NFCs? Is there anything comparable?

16. Member
    Comparable is very subjective. Hydra, Croix SCV's, Point Blank, Phenix, even Rod Geeks B4's and C4's are all very high quality blanks and ones I use a lot. I'm not saying that there aren't NFC blanks that are good but they are in no way "far and away" better than other brands IMO. Also for what it's worth when it comes to sensitivity I'd rather have a NFC HM than an Xray and when it comes to a general pitching blank I'd rather have a Point Blank MHF or HF or a Hydra FL4 than a NCF HM.

I also build a decent number of Thrashers. For my money I don't think you'll find a blank better suited for throwing a frog than a BSC7806 and the BSC7805 is a fantastic swim jig blank. They are great for moving baits.

I've also had more blanks come from NFC with what to me are quality issues (bent tips, big curves) than I've had from all of the other manufacturers combined.

17. Member
    Agree with you, I have had my fair share of NFC blanks with quality control issues, specifically blanks that are just not straight at all. Lots of other good blanks out there in my opinion.

18. BBC SPONSOR
    We didn't see Rainshadow Eternity RX10 listed above and couldn't help but chime in. We're a bit biased, but feel RX10 is not just comparable, but superior to all the blanks listed above. By superior we mean superior materials, construction, and sensitivity. In addition, they have straight tips, straightforward pricing, every single model is in stock and ready to ship the same or next day, and they're backed by the best service and no-hassle old school warranty available today. If you'd like more details, shoot us an email at batson@batsonenterprises.com or call us at 360-681-2381 and talk to a real person every time. We think you'll be pleased with Rainshadow's new flagship blank. Thanks
    The Best Fishing Rods Start Here: www.BatsonEnterprises.com - www.youtube.com/batsonenterprises - Instagram: @teamrainshadow - Facebook: Batson Enterprises

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Batson-Brands View Post
    We didn't see Rainshadow Eternity RX10 listed above and couldn't help but chime in. We're a bit biased, but feel RX10 is not just comparable, but superior to all the blanks listed above. By superior we mean superior materials, construction, and sensitivity. In addition, they have straight tips, straightforward pricing, every single model is in stock and ready to ship the same or next day, and they're backed by the best service and no-hassle old school warranty available today. If you'd like more details, shoot us an email at batson@batsonenterprises.com or call us at 360-681-2381 and talk to a real person every time. We think you'll be pleased with Rainshadow's new flagship blank. Thanks
    I just haven't built on many of yours in the past several years, no real reason for it. I have built a good number of RX 6's back in the day and always thought they were a decent blank for the money. I'll have to try a couple of yours this winter since the boat is put up and rod building season is beginning.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Batson-Brands View Post
    I will keep this in mind the next time I go to buy some blanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast