Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Z519 Cup has arrived

Here is one picture of my newly arrived Z519 C [Cup package], which now has a massive 1.7 hours on the engine. I hated to let the G2 Evinrude go, because it was such a stout performer, but it was time to move on. A few details of the new rig are posted below the picture.

The Z519 for 2022 has the same running surface as my 2018 did, but the top cap has been changed to make the overall boat deeper. This results in a smoother ride—from what I’ve been told and briefly experienced—but also is theoretically a tad bit slower. The big advantages for my style of fishing are the smoother ride plus the increased storage capacity: each storage compartment is a couple of inches deeper. The boat comes with a V8 Mercury 225 h.p., which starts easily and runs smoothly. I miss the digital foot/hand throttle of my G2, but I could have opted for that if I’d wanted to spend the money. I used a standard mechanical hot foot before, and it won’t kill me to use one again.

The Lowrance Ghost has been easy to adjust to from my previous Ultrex. It is well-designed from an engineering standpoint. What stands out is that it is more powerful than my previous Ultrex 112, while actually using less battery power, and the spot lock appears to be much more “accurate” in holding to an exact spot. I have three 80ah lithium trolling batteries plus the factory AGM cranking battery. For electronics, I took the HDS-9 Live that came in the console and moved it onto a stacked bow mount with the original/standard HDS-9 Live, using a BBT mount. Then I added an HDS-12 Live flush-mounted in the console. All 3 units are networked, of course, and all are capable of displaying the Active Target ffs. I also added the 17-inch Challenger wheels; a tandem axle trailer is standard on the Cup package. And finally, I added a Trick Step [wow!] and my go-to winch for those Michigan lakes that don’t allow power loading: a Fulton F2 3200 pound model.

I’ll be glad to answer questions for anyone looking at this model. Low 60s as pictured, plus the cost of the extra HDS-12 Live and BBT dual bow mount. I really didn’t need/want to add many options. After two boats with Power Pole blades, I determined that I didn’t use them nearly enough to warrant their cost, but each to his own. Tight lines. — JC

P.S. So far, I’m very impressed by the EZ Loader-built trailer. In trailering across some very rough rural roads with terrible railroad crossings, etc., it pulls more smoothly with far fewer creaks and groans than my 2018 model trailer did. Beautiful trailer, too.
    Last edited by jc2bg; 10-24-2021 at 09:11 AM.

2. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Very nice

Dale Sinclair original

3. Member
    I noticed your new signature the other evening ......... and then went to Knox's website and noticed a familiar looking used boat listed.

I didn't want to say anything ....... but wondered how long you were going to keep us in suspense. LOL!!!

Congrat's Mr. John!

PS: I'm especially interested in what you think about the Ghost after a few months. This is my intended next upgrade from the Fortrex. I'm leaning toward Ghost over Ultrex, primarily b/c of the Lowrance depthfinders I have already.
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    In trailering across some very rough rural roads with terrible railroad crossings, etc., ...
    ROTFLMAO !!!!!!!! "Welcome to Ohio!!!!" LOL!!!!!

(I say that as my in-laws live and farm around the greater Mansfield, Shelby, Crestline area)

-391v

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    My daughter lives outside Bucyrus and her boys go to school in Mansfield. In Crawford, Richland, and Knox counties, there are some “interesting” roads for sure, but the 2-lane tracks up nearer to Erie don’t take a back seat to anything for poor pavement maintenance.

So far so good with the Ghost. I for one have been a big fan of the steering on the Ultrex. I very quickly got spoiled by how fast and easy it turned. But the Ghost turns almost as easily, plus it has more power as noted, plus it’s lighter. It deploys and stows with less effort than the 36v Ultrex, and it even orients itself for proper stowing as you pull it out of the water. Pretty slick.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

6. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    For those who wonder whether there’s much front deck space on a Z519, well, it isn’t as big as a Z520, but there’s still a bunch of room! This photo also shows the BBT stack mount. They’re pricy, I’ll admit, but I should have had one long ago. Dual units on the bow are great, even if they were only 7 or 8-inch size. I do lots of 2D sonar-looking at the same time as trying to stay on a waypoint in the middle of Erie. Don’t want to tie up 6 to 10 grand in bow units, but splitting a screen on a 9-inch unit is far from ideal. Now, I have a lot of improved viewing opportunities, plus the angle of the units is better than with flush mounting, plus the units are simply closer to my eyes. Win, win, win.

7. Member
    “This results in a smoother ride “ , how does changing the top cap result in a smoother ride?

8. Member

9. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Nice! Congrats!

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

10. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FredLB View Post
    “This results in a smoother ride “ , how does changing the top cap result in a smoother ride?
    The boat is heavier.

11. Member
    Congratulations John, Enjoy. I know you were a G2 guy but that new mercury 4 stroke does sound good and has lots of power.

12. Member
    Nice boat for sure John! I have a favor to ask. Could you please measure the storage length with the trailer tongue folded in and motor trimmed all the way down? I ordered my Z519, cup equipped, last week, and would like to know how tight of a fit it's going to be in my garage. I have read the specs on the website, but they are stated as approximate and I am trying to get a real measurement.

Thank you very much in advance!
    Tommy M

13. Member
    Congrats John.....beautiful Ranger! You will love the 4 stroke!
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

14. Member
    My daughter lives outside Bucyrus and her boys go to school in Mansfield. In Crawford, Richland, and Knox counties, there are some “interesting” roads for sure, but the 2-lane tracks up nearer to Erie don’t take a back seat to anything for poor pavement maintenance.

So far so good with the Ghost. I for one have been a big fan of the steering on the Ultrex. I very quickly got spoiled by how fast and easy it turned. But the Ghost turns almost as easily, plus it has more power as noted, plus it’s lighter. It deploys and stows with less effort than the 36v Ultrex, and it even orients itself for proper stowing as you pull it out of the water. Pretty slick.
    Cool! Yea, they farm all the way out to Bucyrus and Galion area. My wife's family is so big that some of them live out that way, as well as some go to school in Ontario.

Those tar-n-gravel rural roads they got always scare the heck out of me, especially as sharp-crested as some of those hills are. I'm always afraid there's going to be a kid on a tricycle on the other side ....... meanwhile they are like 'why are you slowing down, you're going to get someone killed'. LOL

Good to hear about the Ghost. I think that's going to be a good move for me. I recently upgraded all my Gen3's to Carbon 12's while BPS had them on sale. I've been toying with keeping the Gen3 -9 and putting it up on the bow with one of the Carbon 12's for a lot of the reasons you mentioned. I just need spotlock. ESPECIALLY, if I ever haul this rig up to Ohio to fish Erie. Honestly, as busy as we always are visiting family, I'd be better off hiring a guide and being done with it. LOL!!!

15. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Greetings to Tennessee T in Cookeville. My daughter lived there for 5 years. Great town.

I trundled out in the rain to my boat garage and came up with a folded-tongue, engine-vertical stored length right at 23 feet. 2 or 3 inches could be deducted if you turned the engine to one side. My Trick Step sticks out another couple of inches, which I’m not including in the length. The way the Mercury 4S hood is designed, with a substantial point on the back, adds a couple of inches to what otherwise could be a bit under 23 feet. Hope that helps. The stock setback plate, which I have, is a manual adjustment 10-inch model.

Beautiful Ranger John Don't know if I'll ever be in the market for a new boat, especially since I don't tournament fish much anymore and I still love my (paid for) 185 but if I ever do it will be just like yours, except it would be red . Enjoy your new ride!

17. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I had very mixed feelings about getting “1 more” new boat, but there were several things I wanted to change on my current boat, and my wife, realizing the extent of my addiction, said just go for it. Tournaments aren’t the priority for me that they used to be, but my biggest interest by far [after family and friends] is enjoying days on the water. And in theory at least, the equipment on this latest boat will help to make those days even more enjoyable. Thanks for all the support and good wishes, guys. Very kind of you.

18. Member
    Greetings to Tennessee T in Cookeville. My daughter lived there for 5 years. Great town.

I trundled out in the rain to my boat garage and came up with a folded-tongue, engine-vertical stored length right at 23 feet. 2 or 3 inches could be deducted if you turned the engine to one side. My Trick Step sticks out another couple of inches, which I’m not including in the length. The way the Mercury 4S hood is designed, with a substantial point on the back, adds a couple of inches to what otherwise could be a bit under 23 feet. Hope that helps. The stock setback plate, which I have, is a manual adjustment 10-inch model.
    Thank you John for the very helpful and useful information. Sorry you had to endure the rain to help me, but I do thank you very much! I hope you enjoy your new ride!
    Tommy M

19. Member
    John what a beautiful boat…and well set up just the way I like it…maximum utility and enjoyment. You will get years and years of enjoyment. Congrats!

That is an awesome boat John. I thought that might be your boat on Knox site.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast