Thread: 10/23/21 report

10/23/21 report

Got on lake of 3fires 7am my friend was with me so we were trying different baits. We decided to hit the rock refs first to see if they were holding any bass, I had a jig and he had a spinner bait, no luck on any rocks. Then moved to a shallow finger. I tried top water, nothing. Also other moving bait but no luck. I did finally get a 15” bass with a RK crank bait as we were just running the bank. Probably 10am now we then started to run through the rock refs again and where able to get a few 14” bass off them with a jig… Really was a tough morning Lol. Water temp 58*~60* also the water had something weird going on? Turning over maybe??

Seems I’ve been having a tough fall. I sure hope I can have a couple better trips before the ice shuts me down.

When you say the water was weird, what exactly do you mean? Like seeing chunks of algae (or something) floating to the surface? Because that is sure fire way to tell that turnover is happening. I have never been to that lake so I have no idea what it is like but if it has much grass, most grass starts to die off this time of year. When that happens, oxygen is depleted and bass seem to be really tough to get to bite. You have to find some place on the lake where the grass isn't dying yet but also has all the other ingredients to make them want to be there. It's almost like a needle in a haystack kind of deal.

That being said, though, I feel like you were right in that turnover was the main negative factor.
    2007 Triton TR-21X w/ Pro XS 250
    6" T&H Hi Jacker w/ 2" spacers
    26P Tempest

3. Member
    Thanks for responding Steve. So the lake seems to have about 6” of really cloudy water (green ish) on top but it looked to be pretty clean under that top layer?? I know it seems weird for me to say that… I did not stick my head in to see if the water cleared up to really know though With that said I know exactly what you mean about algae/mossy stuff floating up I’ve seen that a couple times over the years on lake Anita. We did not find any grass but we did find some dying pads though…..

4. Banned
    Redog, when I lived back in CB and fished Viking and the other hwy34 lakes at this time of the year, I'd go into the very backs of the creeks and pitch around a beaver or jig to any wood cover I could find. If you're casting abilities are good enough, skip a chatterbait around and under the wood and slow roll it out from the cover. I never caught a lot of fish doing this but it was always good for 5-10 bites and 10-15lbs. I'd also throw a ned rig on any point or rock structure I could find and catch fish too

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by liljakec View Post
    Redog, when I lived back in CB and fished Viking and the other hwy34 lakes at this time of the year, I'd go into the very backs of the creeks and pitch around a beaver or jig to any wood cover I could find. If you're casting abilities are good enough, skip a chatterbait around and under the wood and slow roll it out from the cover. I never caught a lot of fish doing this but it was always good for 5-10 bites and 10-15lbs. I'd also throw a ned rig on any point or rock structure I could find and catch fish too
    Great advice thank you. My friend did throw a Ned rig a lot. We did try a chatter bait and spinner bait. But I think you are right we should have spent more time flipping to the brush in the backs of the creek’s. How late in the year did you have luck with top water on those Hwy 34 lakes?

I’ve really had a good time fishing these last few years. I have learned a lot but feel I should be doing better than I am on catching numbers and better size Lol. Thought about getting the latest electronics but what I have is still pretty good. Heck I don’t know probably just need more time on the water but that’s not easy with we’re I’m at in this stage of life like… Family,work,church number one. Fishing second right.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Redog View Post
    Great advice thank you. My friend did throw a Ned rig a lot. We did try a chatter bait and spinner bait. But I think you are right we should have spent more time flipping to the brush in the backs of the creek’s. How late in the year did you have luck with top water on those Hwy 34 lakes?

I’ve really had a good time fishing these last few years. I have learned a lot but feel I should be doing better than I am on catching numbers and better size Lol. Thought about getting the latest electronics but what I have is still pretty good. Heck I don’t know probably just need more time on the water but that’s not easy with we’re I’m at in this stage of life like… Family,work,church number one. Fishing second right.
    I would throw topwater until the water temp got below 53. I never really tried covering water with a buzzbait because I have more confidence in a chatterbait/squarebill for that. If I'm throwing a topwater this time of year, I'm throwing a popper to specific pieces of cover.

As to you and your buddy throwing chatterbaits and spinnerbaits, try varying your retreive. I tend to slow roll this time of year but I have caught them well fishing them fast

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Redog View Post

A wacky rigged Senko around wood in the backs of creeks can be surprisingly effective this time of year. Its painfully slow but works when the fish are negative. I fished a club tournament yesterday and while a long ways from Iowa it was similar conditions. I fished chatterbaits and spinnerbaits around wood in the upper end of a lake and didn't get bit. A couple of hours later another angler fished the same cover with a Senko and won with about 14 lbs. He thanked me for leaving the fish.

8. Member
    I like senko for sure, I normally fish them weight less t-rigged though I hate getting snagged Lol. Do you think rigging them wacky helps get the bites? I know they really shake better on the fall wacky style.

It almost sounds like some sort of an algae bloom more than turnover, based on what you described. Either way, its pretty obvious that there is some sort of major event affecting the fishery at the moment. I'm with Jake. Try pushing as far back in the creek and get as shallow as you can. Those places should be the least affected by any loss of oxygen.
    2007 Triton TR-21X w/ Pro XS 250
    6" T&H Hi Jacker w/ 2" spacers
    26P Tempest