Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Solix Users... Need Help With Updating My Solix vs Helix Differences List

A couple of questions I constantly see on Facebook fishing groups and on BBC as well are "Is Solix worth the extra dollars over Helix?" and "What are the difference between Solix and Helix?".

I have put together a list of differences but would like some of the other Solix users to chime in on anything I may have missed or anything I might have wrong.

Here is what I have put together so far:

Solix vs Helix Advantages:

1) Touch Screen!
    2) Ability to share map cards among networked units. No need to buy a Lakemaster or Navionics card for each unit.
    3) Ability to separately define GPS and Heading if you have a Heading Puck. On Helix, these are defined together so you couldn't get GPS from the internal GPS and Heading from the Puck.
    4) Nav Data is totally shared and saved locally on each networked unit vs just "seeing" the data on each of the networked units. Many Helix users have lost Waypoints due to not understanding this nuance.
    5) Ability to scroll backwards through SI and DI history and even mark waypoints on areas that had already disappeared from the screen.
    6) No dongle required for Ethernet cables.
    7) Ability to define custom views with 1, 2, 3, or 4 sections...put things where you want them rather than having to live with the few views Humminbird provides on the Helix.
    8) Ability to individually turn on/off 2D, DI, SI, and Mega 360 beams rather than all or nothing.

Other than lower cost and slightly less power consumption (varies by model and size), the only real operational advantage Helix has over Solix is the ability to define a custom screen split percentage on side by side views. As of the 4.020 Solix software release, you now now have the ability to have a 30/70 split as well as the standard 50/50 split on side by side custom views... A definite improvement but still not as flexible as Helix.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

2. Member
    I had 1198 but essentially same operationally as Helix. I have Solix now and will probably upgrade to Solix/Apex, but Cost and ease of use are a factor for many people who don't want to read the manual and the hassle of going through several layers of menus to figure out what to change. Sonar is basically identical, the resolution on the 10" and larger units are the same as well. The map sharing is nice but with the ability to get HD maps one at a time reduces much of that cost advantage. The ability to load and manipulate with HBPC is a definite advantage for Helix and negates the issues caused by only displaying and not copying waypoints between units. I like the crosstouch advantage on the Solix units, I like the customizing available on everything but as mentioned that ability complicates operation considerably. If one is not very patient or interested in making the units detailed custom changes. I would recommend the Helix line. Take a hint from the Pro Fishermen, Most are using Helix. They would not compromise on the things that pay there bills. If you just want to use them to catch fish I think either choice is a good one. But be aware of challenges of flexible customizable menus. The Apex has other temptations like superior resolution to the rest and features for some of the offshore bunch. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

3. Member
    Another difference is the I pilot link remote functions can be displayed on the solix. This is really handy when using the micro remote. It does take up some screen real estate if you choose to keep it on screen constantly
    Last edited by ntslam; 10-23-2021 at 11:37 AM.

4. Member
    I- Pilot trolling motor control can be accomplished from Helix also, just turn it on and it appears under the power button menu.

5. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I definitely agree on the additional complexity piece. I always tell people that, if they aren't willing to really read the entire manual at least twice, then Helix is probably a better alternative... Unless they are coming from a Garmin or Lowrance and then they are having to learn a new menu system anyway.

I also thought that all of the Johnson Outdoor accessories could be operated from either a Solix or Helix... iPilot Link, Cannon Downriggers, Talon, and etc.
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

6. Member
    Accessories are mostly compatible with both lines, but will eventually not be compatible due to software and even hardware limitations. Not to mention the new gadgets they make needing a home. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

Need a dongle to connect an external Humminbird GPS or GPS/Heading sensor to a SOLIX. Direct connection to a Helix.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Need a dongle to connect an external Humminbird GPS or GPS/Heading sensor to a SOLIX. Direct connection to a Helix.
    Thanks Wayne. I'll add that one to the list.

9. Member
    4) Nav Data is totally shared and saved locally on each networked unit vs just "seeing" the data on each of the networked units. Many Helix users have lost Waypoints due to not understanding this nuance.

Coming from a single 1198 to (2} Apex 16 1 bow 1 console, is a marked waypoint physically on only the unit that it was marked from?

10. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stosiak View Post

Coming from a single 1198 to (2} Apex 16 1 bow 1 console, is a marked waypoint physically on only the unit that it was marked from?
    No, it is physically saved on all networked Solix and or Apex units. You can test this by booting each one without the other(s) being booted. You will see the exact same number of Waypoints, saved tracks, saved routes, and groups on each.

I still do an occasional Nav Data Export from the Files utility on each unit as a failsafe backup.

11. Member
    SOLIX:
    1. (-) Does not have HBPC compatible PC management system.
    2. (-) Performs "track-scrubbing" ruining large tracks.
    3. (-) Solix require more 12v power.
    4. (-) Solix has more glitches.
    5. (-) Solix is slow booting, see #4 above.
    6. (+) Solix has better NAVDATA structure. Waypoints & Tracks are transferred to all units and NAVDATA is imported/exported via GPX files which is better than Helix MATRIX folder structure.
    7. (+) Solix allows two-finger swipe maximizing a combo panel.

HELIX:

1. (+) Helix Favoite buttons lessens Solix touch screen advantage
    2. (+) Helix has HBPC management program.
    3. (+) Helix is used by more PRO's because it is more reliable. QED

HBPC is fairly good NAVDATA manager, but HBPC hasn't had bug's fixed for decades and it has major holes.
    Last edited by LittleGazoo; 10-25-2021 at 09:31 AM.

12. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleGazoo View Post
    SOLIX:
    1. (-) Does not have HBPC compatible PC management system.
    2. (-) Performs "track-scrubbing" ruining large tracks.
    3. (-) Solix require more 12v power.
    4. (-) Solix has more glitches.
    5. (-) Solix is slow booting, see #4 above.
    6. (+) Solix has better NAVDATA structure. Waypoints & Tracks are transferred to all units and NAVDATA is imported/exported via GPX files which is better than Helix MATRIX folder structure.
    7. (+) Solix allows two-finger swipe maximizing a combo panel.

HELIX:

1. (+) Helix Favoite buttons lessens Solix touch screen advantage
    2. (+) Helix has HBPC management program.
    3. (+) Helix is used by more PRO's because it is more reliable. QED

HBPC is fairly good NAVDATA manager, but HBPC hasn't had bug's fixed for decades and it has major holes.
    Thanks for the input. I'll included your input but restate it as positives for each unit... A positive for one is an implied negative for the other.

I'm still on the fence a bit about the "glitchiness". I think most of the supposed Solix glitch issues are self inflicted because of the lack of being willing to read the manual or learn the system as well... Again, the whole complexity vs simplicity "thing" between the two. In a way, that is covered in the simpler operations of the Helix so I will also put something about that in the Helix positives as well.
    Last edited by SLYDoggie; 11-12-2021 at 10:09 PM.

13. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Thanks for all the great input and some Helix users weighing in as well. I've updated my list to incorporate the input and I think it is a much more fair comparison at this point.

Still open to any suggestions or corrections I need to make.

Here is the update:

Solix & Helix Advantages:

Solix Advantages:
    1) Touch Screen.
    2) Ability to share map cards among networked Solix and Apex units. No need to buy a Lakemaster or Navionics card for each unit.
    3) Ability to separately define GPS and Heading if you have a Heading Puck. On Helix, these are defined together so you couldn't get GPS from the internal GPS and Heading from the Puck.
    4) Better Nav Data structure with the ability to import/export Waypoints and Tracks via GPX files which is better than the Helix Matrix folder structure.
    5) Nav Data is totally shared and saved locally on each networked unit rather than just "seeing" the data on each of the Helix networked units. Helix users have lost Waypoints due to not understanding this nuance.
    6) Ability to scroll backwards through SI and DI history and even mark waypoints on areas that had already disappeared from the screen.
    7) No dongle required for Ethernet cables.
    8) Ability to define custom views with 1, 2, 3, or 4 sections...put things where you want them rather than having to live with the few views Humminbird provides on the Helix.
    9) Ability to individually turn on/off 2D, DI, SI, and Mega 360 sonar beams rather than all or nothing.
    10) Can easily make a partial screen view go to full screen with a simple touch of that section with 2 fingers the easily return to the previous multi image screen with another touch on the full screen view with 2 fingers.

Helix Advantages:
    1) Easier transition from Humminbird legacy units since Helix has the same menu & button structure.
    2) Simpler to operate which could translate to a more reliable system.
    3) Ability to define a custom screen split percentage to all combo views.
    4) No Dongle required for the AS GPS or AS GPS HS external "pucks".
    5) Faster boot times.
    6) Compatible with the Humminbird PC application for Waypoint Management.
    7) Uses less power than the same size Solix systems.
    8) You can assign your most used combo views to the Favorite Buttons.

Bottom line... It comes down to much more than touch screen vs non touch screen. It comes down to what advantages are more important to you as well as the cost differences of the 2 lines.

NOTE: As of the 4.020 Solix & Apex software release, you now now have the ability to have a 30/70 split as well as the standard 50/50 split on side by side custom views... A definite improvement for Solix but still not as flexible as Helix.
    Last edited by SLYDoggie; 11-12-2021 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Fix typos

14. Member
    A couple things I don't see mentioned ... you can have 12 favorites ( I think that is the correct number between the 2 tabs) on a Solix. They can be standard or custom views. You can also scroll back in history on 2D sonar. This is one of the reasons we selected Solix. Many times we would say come here quick ...look at that, what do you think it is? Now we just scroll it back and study it.

The integration with iLink is much smoother on a Solix. While it can be done on the Helix, it is defiantly clumsier/clunkier and takes more time/effort. I use both and there is a place for both model lines. It all depends on what you want and how you fish.

Recently the Solix line has gotten noticeably faster on the start-up or a re-boot. I think they addressed some of the slow start up in a software revision around the 3.9xx. The new Solix G3 is faster still. While I don't believe it is a fast as a Helix, the difference is now minimal and is no longer a huge consideration.

Thanks for putting this list together as I am sure it will help others in their decision making.
    Last edited by Outsider; 11-13-2021 at 09:47 AM.

15. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
    A couple things I don't see mentioned ... you can have 12 favorites ( I think that is the correct number between the 2 tabs) on a Solix. They can be standard or custom views. You can also scroll back in history on 2D sonar. This is one of the reasons we selected Solix. Many times we would say come here quick ...look at that, what do you think it is? Now we just scroll it back and study it.

The integration with iLink is much smoother on a Solix. While it can be done on the Helix, it is defiantly clumsier/clunkier and takes more time/effort. I use both and there is a place for both model lines. It all depends on what you want and how you fish.

Recently the Solix line has gotten noticeably faster on the start-up or a re-boot. I think they addressed some of the slow start up in a software revision around the 3.9xx. The new Solix G3 is faster still. While I don't believe it is a fast as a Helix, the difference is now minimal and is no longer a huge consideration.

Thanks for putting this list together as I am sure it will help others in their decision making.
    Thanks. Great points!

I am going to do one more iteration as I have also received some PMs with additional suggestions.

16. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    OK, here is the final (I hope) version. Unless there are any glaring misstatements, I think I'm done with the list.

I would like input from some Helix users to make sure I have #8 on the Helix list correct.

Solix Advantages:
    1) Touch Screen as well as button/dial/joystick operation. You can access virtually anything either way... Your choice.
    2) Ability to share map cards among networked Solix and Apex units. No need to buy a Lakemaster or Navionics card for each unit.
    4) Better Nav Data structure with the ability to import/export Waypoints and Tracks via GPX files which is better than the Helix Matrix folder structure.
    5) Nav Data is totally shared and saved locally on each networked unit rather than just "seeing" the data on each of the Helix networked units. Helix users have lost Waypoints due to not understanding this nuance.
    6) Ability to scroll backwards through 2D, SI, and DI history and even mark waypoints on areas that had already disappeared from the screen.
    8) Ability to define custom views with 1, 2, 3, or 4 sections and put things where you want them rather than having to live with the few views Humminbird provides on the Helix.
    9) Ability to individually turn on/off 2D, DI, SI, and Mega 360 sonar pinging rather than all or nothing.
    10) Can easily make a partial screen view go to full screen with a simple touch of that section with 2 fingers then easily return to the previous multi image screen with another touch on the full screen view with 2 fingers.
    11) Quick access to up to 10 favorite Standard and/or Custom views using the Sidebar... Two tabs with 5 each.
    12) Smoother and more seamless integration with Minn Kota iPilot Link to access remote Trolling Motor operations via the control head.

Helix Advantages:
    1) Easier transition from Humminbird legacy units since Helix has the same menu & button structure.
    4) No Dongle required for the AS GRP or AS GPS HS external "pucks".
    5) Faster boot times.
    8) On some Helix models you can assign your most used views to the Favorite Buttons but this is limited to 3 or 6 buttons depending on the model. The smaller Helix models don't have these buttons.

Bottom line... It comes down to much more than touch screen vs non touch screen. It comes down to what advantages are more important to you as well as the cost differences of the 2 lines. The Solix is definitely more capable but also more complex in its operations. If you aren't willing to invest time in reading the manual (maybe even twice) and truly learning the touch interface and menus, then the simpler Helix may be the better choice for you.

NOTE: As of the 4.020 Solix & Apex software release, you now now have the ability to have a 30/70 screen split as well as the standard 50/50 screen split on side by side views. You can also quickly change back and forth between 50/50 and 30/70 while on a view... A definite improvement for Solix but still not as flexible as Helix.

Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    OK, here is the final (I hope) version. Unless there are any glaring misstatements, I think I'm done with the list.

I would like input from some Helix users to make sure I have #8 on the Helix list correct.

Solix Advantages:
    1) Touch Screen as well as button/dial/joystick operation. You can access virtually anything either way... Your choice.
    6) Ability to scroll backwards through 2D, SI, and DI history and even mark waypoints on areas that had already disappeared from the screen.
    8) Ability to define custom views with 1, 2, 3, or 4 sections and put things where you want them rather than having to live with the few views Humminbird provides on the Helix.
    9) Ability to individually turn on/off 2D, DI, SI, and Mega 360 sonar pinging rather than all or nothing.
    10) Can easily make a partial screen view go to full screen with a simple touch of that section with 2 fingers then easily return to the previous multi image screen with another touch on the full screen view with 2 fingers.
    11) Quick access to up to 10 favorite Standard and/or Custom views using the Sidebar... Two tabs with 5 each.
    12) Smoother and more seamless integration with Minn Kota iPilot Link to access remote Trolling Motor operations via the control head.

Helix Advantages:
    4) No Dongle required for the AS GRP or AS GPS HS external "pucks".
    5) Faster boot times.
    8) On some Helix models you can assign your most used views to the Favorite Buttons but this is limited to 3 or 6 buttons depending on the model. The smaller Helix models don't have these buttons.

Bottom line... It comes down to much more than touch screen vs non touch screen. It comes down to what advantages are more important to you as well as the cost differences of the 2 lines. The Solix is definitely more capable but also more complex in its operations. If you aren't willing to invest time in reading the manual (maybe even twice) and truly learning the touch interface and menus, then the simpler Helix may be the better choice for you.

NOTE: As of the 4.020 Solix & Apex software release, you now now have the ability to have a 30/70 screen split as well as the standard 50/50 screen split on side by side views. You can also quickly change back and forth between 50/50 and 30/70 while on a view... A definite improvement for Solix but still not as flexible as Helix.
    Helix #8--
    All generation Helix 8, 9, 10, and 12 have three favorite view buttons.
    The Helix 15 has six favorite view buttons.

Helix 5 and 7 have no favorite view buttons up until the G4N Helix 7 and just the G4N Helix 7 has three favorite view buttons.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

18. Member
    Solix 12 15 and Apex uses Full size SD instead of micro-sd

Quote Originally Posted by OK_BassBum View Post
    So does the Helix 10 and 12 and the first and second generation Helix 9.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

20. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OK_BassBum View Post
    Actually, I have an Apex 19 and it is Micro SD (the little card inside the full sized SD card). I don't really believe that one is an advantage over the other though. They work the same. Just a form factor difference.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast