Daiwa Tatula Problems

I have this problem consistantly with my Tatulas TASV103H TW:
    I get a stop dead backlash when the bait is out about 50 feet and the bait snaps off and keeps going. The backlash is never deep or bad but I lose the bait.
    I use braid from 20-50lb test. This is happening on all six of my reels. Mostly when using heavier baits like spinner, buzz or chatter baits. Lighter baits will usually stop and not snap off.
    Been messing with the mag settings and end play setting but just cannot get these reel to stop it.
    Anyone else having this problem and what have you done to fix it?
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer
    10' Talons w/sandwich brackets

2. Member
    I work PT at Bass Pro Shops at the rod/reel counter. I have several of those reels and have not experienced any problems. I do not think it is a reel problem - the braid must be digging down into itself and getting tangled and once that happens it can be a real bitch to get out. I am guessing that the braid was not spooled with enough pressure and when that happens it tends to dig into itself and create these problems. I would strip about 50 yds. of line off each spool and wind it back on with pressure - not super tight but firm pressure.

3. Member
    The spool is spinning faster than the lure is pulling the line out.
    A less forceful cast can help.

Quote Originally Posted by capt odie View Post
    The spool is spinning faster than the lure is pulling the line out.
    A less forceful cast can help.
    This is your answer. The spool is over running your line going out. This is exactly what you are describing. Its at about that 30-50 mark. Back down a click on the mag. (Hard to explain) Also adjust point in the cast you accelerate/ throwing motion. Bit of Lacrosse coach speak.

5. Member
    The other thing that I have noticed is that when this usually happens is when the T-Wing is all of the way left or right. Never in the middle. I wish I had a small camera to mount on the reel so I could see what is happening.
    I will admit that I do cast overhead as hard as I can in open water with a medium moderate action rod 7' 3".
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyVexus View Post
    The other thing that I have noticed is that when this usually happens is when the T-Wing is all of the way left or right. Never in the middle. I wish I had a small camera to mount on the reel so I could see what is happening.
    I will admit that I do cast overhead as hard as I can in open water with a medium moderate action rod 7' 3".
    I have had to learn to cast my Steez A TW differently than my OG Daiwas. I needed to trust the higher CCC tension setting as well as apply 1-2 clicks higher mag settings. I did drop in a Type R Gigas spool with ZPI bearing, so that did change the casting profile a bit from stock. The above post this correct however, cast with less force.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyVexus View Post
    Kenny, you should not have to cast that hard with this reel and a moderate action rod. Doing so will "jump-start" the spool and the spool starts spinning too fast - this leads to bad problems especially with braid.

8. Member
    Nothing wrong with your Tatulas. Those issues are all user error. Sounds like you are putting to much power into your cast at the wrong time causing your spool to over speed. Back off the force of the cast until you get the mag brake adjusted, increased for what you are seeing. After you get the reel adjustment working you can slowly increase your casting force.

9. Member
    this happens on all of my reels when I try to cast really hard on braided line. Happens way more on smaller braided line than bigger.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

10. Member
    Had the same issue. Ditched the stupid braid and never looked back. Happened with all sorts of reel models and braid and braid with a leader. Same reels, same baits, same casting style but mono and floro and now zero issues and zero baits snapped off.

11. Member
    the good part about braid is that it's strong and limp with a small diameter in comparison to mono or fluoro of equal rating .
    the bad part about braid is the problem you're having

12. Member
    Losing your lure is imho your knot slipping from the hard stop, use to have this problem. Switched to the uni-knot shown on the powerpro.com website, going thru the eye twice helps eliminate the slipping.

Ag
    I am the real Scubby McScruberson!

13. Member
    So after much reading and a great phone conversation from a fellow BBC member, I have probably run this equipment to the edge. I build and repair rods and I made these rods for extreme long casting. They might be engineered beyond the reels performance. With the combination of 20 or 30 lb braid and casting as hard as I am, if I don't get that power exactly right I get a shallow nest, from over speed, which stops the spool dead. Breakage usually happens anywhere from the leader knot to the bait. I have even snapped the braid at the spool or mid distance out to the bait.
    The reason I set out to make these 100 to 125' casts was for ultra clear water. I felt that the further the bait was from the boat the better off I would be.
    I am convinced that I need to back off the power of my cast a bit but I will hate losing the last 10-15'. Also, I will be moving up to 40lb line in the spring.
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer