Lowrance HDS12 Carbon

I have noticed that, say for instance, i fished Lake "X", last weekend. This weekend, i decide to fish Lake "Z". So, i get to Lake "Z", turn on my HDS12 Carbon unit, at my console and always notice, it shows Lake "X", when the unit is turned on. If i hit Clear Cursor, then the current Lake "Z" comes up. Is there something i am doing wrong, or am i not waiting for the unit/GPS Point1 puck, to calculate its coordinates etc, to display the actual lake i am on. What does, "Clear Cursor" actually do? Does it stop the navigation / breadcrumb trail, or what does it do? I would like to have it recognize the lake i am on, when i power up the unit, first thing in the morning. Please help me in understanding this dilemma.

2. Member
    The cursor comes up on your chart screen and any other screen when you touch the screen anywhere except a menu button. You then have to hit clear screen if you no longer want the cursor there (or hit waypoint if you want a waypoint where the cursor is).

So if you unit boots up with the chart having a cursor on it, it means you shut down your unit with the cursor on the screen. You will then have to hit clear cursor. If you do not have the cursor up when you shut down (normal practice), then you will bring up your current location the next time you turn on your chart unit.

How are you turning off your unit? You should hit the power button once, then when the menu pops up on your screen you should press power off. Never shut off your unit by turning off your boat's power switch.
    ciao,
    Marc

3. Member
    I shut it down, with the power button, not by the power switch. My buddy said the same thing. Like i told him, alot of times, when i reach down or something, sometime, i hit the screen and it beeps. So, i need to clear the cursor, at the end of the day, before shutting the unit off? That makes sense, because when i clear cursor, in the morning, it changes to the lake i am currently on. Is "Clear Screen" and "Clear Cursor", the same?

4. Member
    I don't remember a "Clear Screen" message.

Unless you are pressing menu choices on your screen, whenever you touch the screen on a chart or sonar page it stops the screen and places a cursor on it where you touched (so you can save a waypoint accurately where the cursor is located). You then have to press clear cursor (if you touched the screen and change your mind) if you wish to then see your current position.
    ciao,
    Marc

5. Member
    There is no clear screen message. Clear cursor activates live GPS again and show true position.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

6. Member
    Ok, GOTCHA. I always thought "Clear Cursor" would stop the trail/bread crumb trail. Thanks guys, greatly appreciated.